Entries tagged with: Wampire
Kurt Vile at Coachella 2013 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
No Joy @ Chicago's Lincoln Hall, 5/12/2013 (more by James Richards IV)
today in NYC
* Jack Grace @ Barbes
* Lifelike @ Cameo Gallery
* Erin Markey @ Joe's Pub
* CollegeHumor Live @ UCB
* Questlove @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Wailers @ Gramercy Theatre
* Sam Amidon @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Kung Fu, Jeff Bujak @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rafael Gomez Y Nuevo Circo @ Barbes
* Nicole Henry, Grace Weber @ Joe's Pub
* The Flaming Lips @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Paramore, Kitten @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Pictureplane, Antwon @ Santos Party House
* No Joy, Weekend, Grand Resort @ Glasslands
* Tracy Morgan @ Bergen Performing Arts Center
* Eric Burdon & The Animals @ Highline Ballroom
* Lazyeyes, Wormburner, BNLX, BLK Kathy @ Pianos
* Kopecky Family Band, Matrimony @ Mercury Lounge
* The Guts, Scoundrel, Ylajali, Trash Tide @ Cake Shop
* Skullshitter, Syphilitic Lust, Scowl, Narc @ Union Pool
* Midnight Magic, Teengirl Fantasy @ Brooklyn Museum
* Uri Gurvich and BabEL, Brahim Fribgane @ The Stone
* Kurt Vile, Angel Olsen, Steve Gunn @ Bowery Ballroom
* DJ Craze, DJ Sabo, Gents & Jawns, Que Bajo?! @ Output
* Retox, I Am Heresy, Descender, Wet Witch @ The Acheron
* Jay Nash, Eliza Moore, John Murry @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Weird Owl, Throw Vision, Romantic States @ Cameo Gallery
* Pedrito Martinez Group, Nickodemus @ Brooklyn Bridge Park
* Charles Bradley, Menahan Street Band @ The Apollo Theater
* Vulture Shit, Swells, Hooks, Unruhue @ Brooklyn Fireproof East
* Shark?, Mean Creek, Radical Dads, Haybaby @ Death By Audio
* Baby Teardrops, Libel, Birds In Weather, Onesie @ The Grand Victory
* The Lonely Wild, Ravens & Chimes, The Lonely Hearts @ Mercury Lounge
* Kathleen Hanna, Emily Nussbaum, Sam Lipstyle, Mark Bazar @ Union Hall
* Happy Lives, BLUFFING, Lil Kids, Andrew Devlon, Nuda Veritas @ Muchmore's
* A Bunch of Dead People, Public Speaking, Seductress, Ice Cream @ Big Snow
* Hurrah! A Bolt of Light, Vuvuzela, All Boy/All Girl, Sun Showers @ Public Assembly
* Judah Friedlander, Janeane Garofalo, DC Benny, Rachel Feinstein @ Eastville Comedy Club
* Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band, The Everymen, Shellshag, The Brooklyn What @ Shea Stadium
* Cam Meekins, Pilot Nation, OG Swaggerdick & Michael Christmas, Cerebal Vortex @ Knitting Factory
Minneapolis' arch postpunks BNLX are in town, playing Pianos tonight. If you can't make it, they'll play Big Snow Buffalo Lodge tomorrow (5/17).
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Wampire released their new album, Curiosity, this week on Polyvinyl. The Portland duo also just let loose a new video for LP track "Orchids" and you can watch that below.
Odd Future member Earl Sweatshirt will be making his SXSW debut this year (he wasn't there when the rest of his crew first played), and will be doing collaborative sets with Captain Murphy, aka Flying Lotus' rap alter ego (who collaborated with him on "Between Friends"). Those sets include the Life or Death showcase on Wednesday (3/13) at Scoot Inn at midnight, the Green Label Sound showcase on Friday (3/15) at Lucille at 9:30 PM, and FADER Fort on Saturday (3/16) at 6 PM. Flyers for all three of those shows with full lineups are below.
Earl just appeared at Flying Lotus' LA show at Low End Theory last week (3/7) and they performed three tracks off Earl's upcoming album, Doris, "Burgundy" (produced by Pharrell), "Hive," and "Guild." Mac Miller is featured on that last one and he was at the LA show too. You can check it all out in a video from the show, which is below. Also below is the video for previously released Doris track, "Chum," and Earl has another new video on the way too.
photos by Jonathon Bernstein
UMO/Foxygen @ Bowery Ballroom, 2/28/2013
There must be something about having the word Foxy in the name of your band (see Foxy Shazam) that has a requirement of the lead singer acting completely nuts on stage. The 5 piece indie rock band from Agoura Hills (shout out to my Cali peeps) played for just about an hour and their music has elements of folk, alternative and lots of psychedelia! Lead singer Sam France walked out on stage with a pimp jacket and Indiana Jones type stetson hat (which you can see a clearer picture of after the jump) and danced/freaked out all over the stage as distorted vocals came pouring out through his mic...Uknown Mortal Orchestra and Foxygen's tour with Wampire hit NYC this past Thursday (2/28) with a very sold-out show at Bowery Ballroom and pictures from that show are in this post. It will be much easier to get into UMO next NYC show which is a free one at Pier 17 at South Street Seaport on June 28. It's the first announced show of this year's Seaport Music Festival, which we are happy to see returning after the devestation Hurricane Sandy wreaked on the area. No openers announced yet, so stay tuned.
... It appeared that the crowd was there to see Foxygen based on the reaction to their music, but everyone stayed and loved UMO equally as much. They performed largely in the dark, though back lit by those candles that have little battery operated flames in them. - [According2G]
In related news, for those heading to Austin for SXSW Interactive or Film (or showing up early for the music portion), Seaport Music Fest, Panache Booking and Hot Burrito are putting on Bruise Cruise show on Lady Bird Lake with Milk Music, Fat Tony, The Blind Shake and Outer Minds. Details are here and the flyer is below...
UMO/Foxygen at Austin's Mohawk (more by Tim Griffin)
Jagjaguwar labelmates Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Foxygen are about two weeks into their tour together that will swing into NYC on Thursday (2/28) for a sold-out show at Bowery Ballroom with fellow tourmates Wampire. All three bands hit Texas' state capital last week and BV Austin's Tim Griffin was there and got some great shots (as you can see above) and you can check out more of his pics HERE.
Foxygen will play NYC again at Knitting Factory on May 14 and Mercury Lounge on May 15. Both shows are sold out.
Yesterday (2/25) was an off night for the tour and Unknown Mortal Orchestra took advantage of that by making their television debut on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, performing "So Good At Being In Trouble." You can watch that clip below.
photos by Autumn Andel, words by Bill Pearis
Wampire @ Mississippi Studios in Portland, 2/8/2013
Portland duo Wampire are gearing up for their debut album, Curiosity, which will be out in May on Polyvinyl. It was produced by Unknown Mortal Orchestra bassist Jacob Portrait and the album's first single, "The Hearse," is out next week (2/22) and is streamable below. If you like UMO or SRFTKR, this will probably be up your alley. The single's b-side is a cover of Kraftwerk's "The Model."
Wampire are also the opening act on the upcoming Unknown Mortal Orchestra / Foxygen tour which hits NYC this month for a sold-out show at Bowery Ballroom on February 28. The played a tour warm-up show at Mississippi Studios in their hometown this past Friday. Pictures and video from that show and a list of all dates below...
Foxygen at Pianos in 2012 (more by Jessica Amaya)
Retro psych/baroque poppers Foxygen are set to kick off a tour with Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Wampire soon, which hits NYC for the previously discussed Bowery Ballroom show on February 28. That show has since sold out, but you'll get another chance to catch Foxygen when they return to NYC after that tour ends for shows at Knitting Factory on May 14 and Mercury Lounge on May 15. Tickets for the Knit show go on sale Friday (2/8) at 10 AM and tickets for the Merc show go on sale Friday (2/8) at noon with an AmEx presale starting Wednesday (2/6) at noon. No sign yet if these dates are part of a new North American leg for the band, but they will head over to the UK in June. All upcoming Foxygen dates are listed below.
Speaking of Unknown Mortal Orchestra, they just made a video for "So Good at Being In Trouble" off their new album, II (out now via Jagjaguwar), which stars Christopher Mintz-Plasse (aka McLovin, who you may remember also drums in a band) and was shot by Animal Collective associate Danny Perez.
The UMO video and a list of all Foxygen dates below...
Foxygen @ Pianos, CMJ 2012 (more by Jessica Amaya)
Foxygen's new album, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic, is out in a couple weeks (1/22), and the band have just released a video to one of the record's most charming songs, "San Francisco," which you can watch below.
As mentioned, Foxygen are about to head out on tour with Unknown Mortal Orchestra (who have a new album too). At the time, Foxygen were not on the bill for the February 28 show at Bowery Ballroom but they are now, as are tourmates Wampire. Tickets are still available.
That video and a list of all dates below...
Unknown Mortal Orchestra at Glasslands in 2011 (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
In October, New Zealand's Unknown Mortal Orchestra announced that their sophomore album, II, will come out February 5 via Jagjaguwar, and soon after they came to NYC for a CMJ show at Brooklyn Bowl. Now the band are revealing dates for a proper US tour to support the album in 2013, which brings them back to NYC on February 28 at Bowery Ballroom. Tickets for that show go on sale Friday (11/16) at noon.
The full tour
hasn't been announced yet, but stay tuned and check out a list of all currently known dates and a stream of their new single, "Swim and Sleep (Like A Shark)," below...