Entries tagged with: Wanda Sykes
Created by Phil Matarese and Mike Luciano and produced by Duplass Brothers Television, Animals. focuses on the downtrodden creatures native to Earth's least-habitable environment: New York City. Whether it's lovelorn rats, gender-questioning pigeons or aging bedbugs in the midst of a midlife crisis, the awkward small talk, moral ambiguity and existential woes of non-human urbanites prove startlingly similar to our own.Quoted above is the new description for new animated HBO series Animals which premieres on February 5. As Pitchfork points out, among the voice actors are musicians Kurt Vile, A$AP Rocky and A$AP Ferg.
The rest of the cast isn't too shabby either. It includes Eric Andre, Katie Aselton, Jessica Chastain, Rob Corddry, Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass, Ellie Kemper, Nick Kroll, Lauren Lapkus, Melanie Lynsky, Marc Maron, Kumail Nanjiani, Horatio Sanz, Adam Scott, Molly Shannon, Wanda Sykes, Cobie Smulders, Matt Walsh, Zach Woods and Steve Zissis.
Watch a teaser for Animals. below...
The Kroll Show
There's a few cool comedy-related talks and events happening soon at 92Y. On January 20, Nick Kroll will host a screening of The Kroll Show Season 3 premiere, and following that there will be a Q&A with the show's divorcees Gil Faizon (Kroll) and George St. Geegland (John Mulaney). This is sold out but you can stream it live on via 92Y's website. Watch the Season 3 trailer below.
Keeping with the TV theme, there's a Better Call Saul panel discussion on February 5 featuring stars Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks and Michael McKean. Tickets are still available (they're cheap if you're 35 and under) and this will also be streaming on 92Y's site. Better Call Saul premieres February 8 on AMC. A new trailer is below.
Elsewhere at 92Y, Judy Gold has an ongoing series called 'Comedy Gold' where she talks with famous funny people. On January 27 it's with Jim Gaffigan (tickets) and on February 16 she'll be talking to Wanda Sykes (tickets).
And finally, Allison Williams of HBO's Girls will be talking with her friend and Late Night host Seth Meyers on February 18. (tickets) Maybe Seth will ask Allison what her father, NBC News anchor Brian Williams, thought about her first scene in Girls' just-aired season premiere.
Better Call Saul and Kroll Show trailers below...
by Klaus Kinski
The New York Comedy Festival is coming back from November 6 through November 10, 2013 for what will be their milestone 10 year anniversary. And although none of the shows are knocking my socks off as much as the Ben Stiller Show reunion they had last year did, this year's line-up is so far pretty impressive (albeit somewhat bogged down with conservative, mainstream talent). The shows will be taking place at venues all over our wonderful city including, but not limited to, Town Hall, The Beacon Theater, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, and Carnegie Hall. Highlights for your man Klaus include John Mulaney on Saturday November 9 at 7:00 PM at Town Hall, as well as Anthony Jeselnik at the same venue the same evening at 9:45 PM. Also a hot ticket will be Larry David in conversation with David Steinberg on Sunday November 10 at Town Hall.
The ticket presale for all shows will run from August 7 at 10:00 AM to August 11 at 10:00 PM. The general onsale for normal people starts Monday, August 12 at 10:00 AM. Tickets can be purchased through the New York Comedy Festival website and Ticketmaster.
Last year, after announcing their initial line-up, the fest scheduled a ton of indie-centric shows at places like the UCB Theater. It is that particular programming that is sure to please people like you and me a lot more than their industry-favorite big ticket shows. Keep your eyes peeled. Meanwhile, announced schedule is below...
Chelsea Wolfe @ Highline Ballroom (more by Greg Cristman)
Palma Violets @ Glasslands on Tuesday (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
today in NYC
* Cumbiagra @ Barbes
* Ultrabunny @ Lit Lounge
* Tift Merritt @ 92YTribeca
* The Pre War Ponies @ Barbes
* Never Sleep Alone @ Joe's Pub
* Nicolas Matar, Willie Graff @ Cielo
* Steve Lantner Quarter @ The Stone
* Body/Head, Sightings @ Union Pool
* Joe Morris Bass Quartet @ The Stone
* AB Soto, DJ Nita, Aviance @ 285 Kent
* Loudon Wainwright III @ Carnegie Hall
* Louts, Moon Hooch @ Best Buy Theater
* Black Taxi, Echosuite @ Public Assembly
* Iceage, Pharmakon @ Home Sweet Home
* Hilly Eye, Sleepies, Adaveta @ Glasslands
* Light Heat, Steve Gunn, Spacin' @ Cake Shop
* Femi Kuti & the Positive Force @ Webster Hall
* Walk The Moon, Pacific Air @ Bowery Ballroom
* Blues Control, Home Blitz, Illegals @ Shea Stadium
* Tonstartsbandht, People, Matt Sullivan @ Silent Barn
* The Stationery Set, The Doorbells @ Mercury Lounge
* No Way Josie, Ducky, Psychic Twin @ Cameo Gallery
* The Last Stand, Ensign, Brick By Brick @ Saint Vitus Bar
* Teen Girl Scientist Monthly, Mile High DJ/VJParty @ Pianos
* Palma Violets, Country Mice, The Everymen @ 252 Norman
* Zammuto, Miracles of Modern Science @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Candy Hearts, Banquets, Model Airplanes @ The Grand Victory
* Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Bambara, Big Ups @ Death By Audio
* Chelsea Wolfe, King Dude, Starred @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* The Dough Rollers, The Juliets, Andrew James @ Bowery Electric
* Mark Marshall, Ryan Cavanaugh, THE BOOT HEEL DRAG @ Littlefield
* Right This Second, Ben Johnson, The Kissing Club @ Pete's Candy Store
* 6th Borough Project, The Revenge, Jaques Renault @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Chrome Canyon, Avan Lava (DJ Set), Little Daylight (DJ Set) @ Glasslands
* Hunters, Necking, The Immaculates, Moonmen On the Moon @ Dead Herring
* Annie and The Beekeepers, Jones Street Station @ Rockwood Music Hall (Stage 2)
* Ecstatic Music Festival w/ Carla Kihlstedt, ICE, Causing a Tiger, Face the Music @ Merkin Concert Hall
* Garden of Laughs w/ Ray Romano, Wanda Sykes, Robert Klein, Darrell Hammond + more @ Madison Square Garden
Tonight's the last-ever show at Williamsburg DIY apartment/venue Dead Herring. Go say goodbye and party down with Hunters, The Immaculates, Moonmen on the Moon, Man and Necking. $5 at the door. MMotMM just put up a video for their song "Republicans" and you can watch that below.
Ray Romano, Wanda Sykes, Darrell Hammond and many, many more will be yukking it up for charity Garden of Dreams Foundation tonight at Madison Square Garden. Tickets are still available.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
New York Comedy Festival is returning to multiple NYC venues this fall from November 9-13. The festival features a number of comedians including Wanda Sykes, Louis C.K., Russell Peters, Bill Burr, John Pinette, Tracy Morgan, Bill Maher, Sarah Silverman, Kathy Griffin, Norm Macdonald, Ricky Gervais, John Pinette and Jo Koy. The festival spans venues including Beacon Theatre, Town Hall, Carolines on Broadway, 92nd Street Y, Carnegie Hall, and BAM. Tickets are available for each show and are in various states of sale/presale. Full schedule is below.
Australian comedian/actor/musician Tim Minchin is returning to NYC this fall to perform at Town Hall on November 4. Tickets are available for Live Nation presale now (password: ELECTRIC) and go on sale to the general public today, Friday (8/12) at noon. Check out a video of Tim at Bamboozle this past Spring along with all dates below...