Entries tagged with: Wes Anderson
Veronica Falls at South Street Seaport in June (more by Amanda Hatfield)
UK indie pop outfit Veronica Falls, who are touring in 2013 with great new band Cheatahs, just spoke to us about their ten favorite things of 2012 music, film, and TV-wise. It was singer/guitarist James Hoare, specifically, who sent his list over, and he really likes Girls. He's got the single for "My Ma" by the now-defunct band, the solo album by frontman Christopher Owens (which actually comes out next year, but we'll let it slide), AND the television show of the same name all in his top 10 list. He's also got fellow indie poppers Mac DeMarco and Woods, and reveals his classic rock soft spot by including the new Rolling Stones song.
James' full list is below...
Flying Lotus at LPR in October (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Flying Lotus, whose great Until the Quiet Comes has been getting the credit it deserves on year-end lists by NME, Uncut, NPR, and Pitchfork, just made a list of his top ten films that have Criterion Collection editions. The whole list with commentary is on Criterion's website but you can see his picks below.
In related news, Flying Lotus' rap alter-ego Captain Murphy recently tweeted that he'll be in Austin this March for SXSW 2013. This announcement comes after SXSW's own recent announcement of artists which included Rhye, Savages, Flatbush Zombies, Deap Vally, Angel Haze, and more.
Flying Lotus' list below...
PS I Love You at SXSW 2011 (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
today in NYC
* Carioca @ Barbes
* Dither @ The Stone
* Nass Gnawa @ Zebulon
* Casual Hearts @ XPO 929
* Dylan Fest @ Irving Plaza
* People's Champs @ Barbes
* Ski Beatz @ Le Poisson Rouge
* The Dig, Taurus @ Glasslands
* Xray Eyeballs (DJ) @ Manhattan Inn
* Lalah Hathaway @ Highline Ballroom
* Manitoba, The Naked Heroes @ Maxwell's
* Static Summer, Skaters, Threats @ Pianos
* Mike Doughty, Susan Justice @ City Winery
* PS I Love You, Army Girls @ Mercury Lounge
* Soft Spot @ Open Road Rooftop (Rooftop Films)
* John Butcher, Twistycat @ Issue Project Room
* LE1F, Big Baby Gandhi, Lakutis @ Knitting Factory
* Mason-Jam-Ja Band @ Brooklyn Academy of Music
* Stefano Scodanibbio Tribute Concert @ The Stone
* Psychic Ills, PC Worship, Ex Cops @ Death By Audio
* Nels Cline, Julian Lage, Kalabalik @ Le Poisson Rouge
* We Are Scientists, Kuroma, Beach Arabs @ Union Pool
* Traxman, Howse, Octo Octa, Naka Naka, Rezzie @ 285 Kent
* Deviated Instinct, Dresden, Koward, Nomad @ The Acheron
* Soltero, Phantom Buffalo, The Sanctuaries @ The Rock Shop
* The So So Glos, Lost Boy?, Life Size Maps, Big Ups @ 285 Kent
* Bok Bok, Kingdom, Rizzla, Rem Koolhaus @ Santos Party House
* Great Lakes, Frank Smith, Bright Brown, Scrapers @ Union Hall
* The Dearloves, Nathan Xander, Painting Soldiers @ The Gutter
* Hoots & Hellmouth, Tall Heights, Darlingside @ Mercury Lounge
* Dangermuffin, American Babies, Tall Tall Trees @ Brooklyn Bowl
* O'Death, Tim Fite, Gimme Drugs, Chris Lecompte @ Asbury Lanes
* Church of Misery, Rwake, The Gates of Slumber @ Cameo Gallery
* Pedestrian Deposit, Pregnant Spore, Decimus, C. Lavender @ La Sala
* that dog., Kurt Braunohler, Baron Vaughn @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Clear Plastic Masks, Lunic, Flyin Fisch, Isle of Rhodes @ Knitting Factory
* Amen Dunes, Gary War, Highlife, Francisco Franco, Woodsman @ Shea Stadium
* Bad Indians, Scott & Charlene's Wedding, Juan Wauters (of The Beets) @ Cake Shop
* BAIO (DJ), Autobot (DJ), Full Nelson (DJ) @ Le Bain at The Standard
* The Can't Tells, The Denzels, Big Ups, Deathrow Tull, Twitchers, Kung Fu Crime Wave @ Spike Hill
* Simian Mobile Disco, Michael Mayer, Lindstrom, JDH & Dave P, Alex English & Rekles @ Webster Hall
Your movie options for Memorial Day Weekend include Wes Anderson's latest exquisite whimsy Moonrise Kingdom and Men In Black 3, the latter of which has gotten surprisingly good reviews.
A Place to Bury Strangers and Blood Orange both released new videos, and they're oddly similar. Check them out below.
Neil Young & Crazy Horse released their cover of British national anthem, "God Save the Queen," with found footage of the queen herself. Check it out below.
Have a great holiday weekend!
Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Sasquatch 2009 (more by Chris Graham)
tonight in NYC
* Louis CK @ Caroline's
* A-Trak @ Webster Hall
* ArpLine, Prima @ 92YTribeca
* AC/DC & Anvil @ Giants Stadium
* Polvo, Obits @ South Street Seaport
* Crystal Castles (DJ) @ Red Bull Space
* Morton Subotnick @ Issue Project Room
* Steely Dan: The Royal Scam @ Beacon Theatre
* The Mekons, The Horse's Ha @ The Bell House
* Vivian Girls, These Are Powers @ Whitney Museum
* Me'Shell N'degeocello & Brandon Ross @ The Stone
* Saviours, Sourvein, Bezoar, Pollution @ Cake Shop
* Dredg, Rx Bandits, Zechs Marquis @ Bowery Ballroom
* Rooftop Films w/ Kurt Vile @ Automotive High School
* Sigmund Droid, Shadow Box, Action Painters @ Shea Stadium
* Langhorne Slim, Polite Sleeper, Marcellus Hall @ Maxwell's
* Midnight Masses, Justin Ripley, Katie Eastburn @ Glasslands
* Grooms, Bouncer Fighter, Ogre Smash Death Boom @ Littlefield
* Ethan Iverson, Reid Anderson & Paul Motian @ Village Vanguard
* Hey Willpower, Hot Lava, That Ghost, Crime Novels @ Bruar Falls
* Blacklist, Ringo Deathstarr, The Vandelles, deVries @ The Cameo
* Brutal Truth, Pig Destroyer, Repulsion @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple
* Ben Sollee, Holly Miranda, Julianna Barwick @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Team Robespierre, Math the Band, IJI, Watercolor Paintings @ Death By Audio
* Lubricated Goat, Netherlands, Beauty Apes, EMOK, Porfirio @ Delancey
* Soulive w/ John Scofield, Christian Scott/Ivan Neville @ Prospect Park
* Wolff, Builders & the Butchers, Illinois, Drink Up Buttercup, Elfi Snow @ Pianos
* Chainsmokers, The Albertans, Your 33 Black Angels, Worst Case Ontario, The Brilliant Sweaters @ Queens Palace
* All Points West w/ Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend, The National, Fleet Foxes, more @ Liberty State Park
Free outdoor music tonight includes
Polvo and Obits at South Street Seaport CANCELLED and a Celebrate Brooklyn show titled The Royal Family: Soulive's 10th Anniversary Celebration, which features guests John Scofield, Christian Scott, Ivan Neville and Dumpstaphunk, at the Prospect Park Bandshell.
It's the first soon-to-be-rainy day All Points West at Liberty State Park. Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend, The National and Fleet Foxes are among the headliners. Seasick Steve and many others have played already.
Crystal Castles, who play the fest on Saturday, are DJing its offcial afterparty tonight at Red Bull Space.
The Modern English won't be playing the Studio at Webster Hall.
The Whitney Museum hosts Vivian Girls and These Are Powers, the final free Dan Graham-related show. These Are Powers will "feature Providence Dance Troupe JAZZ HAND JOB who will perform original choreography to [their] live music". The dance troupe will join them again Saturday at Secret Project Robot.
SATURDAY AUGUST 1stThe Mekons play a "semi-acoustic" show with The Horse's Ha at The Bell House tonight. They also play Mercury Lounge on Saturday.
3 to 7pm- Rummage:
A handmade furniture show on river street with food and drink
curated by Gabby Shaw
9 to 2am- Dance of the Sugarplum Ferry Party:
Fountains and Kiddie pools with
These Are Powers, Javelin, Mirror Mirror, DJ cool Places Sound System
hosted by Live With Animals and Secret Project Robot $8
Kurt Vile plays a Rooftop Films show at the Automotive High School with the Troll 2 documentary. The Drums played last night with Troll 2 the actual movie.
Repulsion, making their NYC debut, play the Brooklyn Masonic Temple with Brutal Truth and Pig Destroyer. Saviours, Sourvein, Bezoar and Pollution play the Cake Shop. Saviours will open the Dinosaur Jr./Walkmen Summerstage show on August 12th.
Justin Ripley, with "half of the awesome, raucous Rooftop Vigilantes" as his backing band plays Glasslands with Midnight Masses and Katie Eastburn.
An interview with the creepy masked guy from Black Moth Super Rainbow and a clip from their July 24th South Street Seaport show are below.
Also, the trailer for Wes Anderson's new film The Fantastic Mr Fox.