Entries tagged with: White Out
by Andrew Sacher
Pop weirdo Gary War will release his new album, Jared's Lot, on July 24 via Spectrum Pools. That's the cover art above. Two tracks from that album -- "Muscle Dysmorphia" and "Superlifer" -- can be streamed below, along with seven-and-a-half minute album preview stream. If you like druggy synth pop and robot alien vocals, give those a listen.
Gary War will be supporting the new album with a run of dates this August, but just before that, he'll play a record release show in NYC at Le Poisson Rouge on July 30 with White Out with Hahn Rowe and No Fun Acid. Tickets for the NYC show are on sale now.
All dates are listed below, along with those streams...
The second-annual Spy Music Festival happens June 29th through July 15th, featuring "46 sets of music at 7 venues in Manhattan and Brooklyn." That's a big expansion from last year when it took place on two nights at Shea Stadium and Zebulon. This year's fest, run by the folks at Northern Spy Records, will happen at Union Pool, the Issue Project Room, The Stone, Vaudeville Park, 285 Kent, Death by Audio and Roulette. Amongst the artists performing are Rhys Chatham, Matthew Shipp, Dustin Wong, Arthur Doyle, Eugene Chadbourne, PG Six, Guardian Alien and Magik Markers.
The full Spy Music Festival schedule -- bands, venues, prices -- is below. There's no all-inclusive festival pass, but tickets to all the shows are available here. And the fest organizers have also made a sampler featuring the artists performing this year and you can stream that below as well.
FOUR NIGHTS celebrating the incredible, dynamic, explosively creative jazz, instrumental, and adventurous music being made in New York City.The 2012 Undead Music Festival (formerly known as Undead Jazz Fest) starts Wednesday (5/9) with three shows in Greenwich Village, including a Tonic reunion happening at Le Poisson Rouge on Wednesday, 5/9. (There's a Tonic Reunion tonight at The Stone tonight, 5/7, too, unreleated to the Undead fest.)
May 9th: A Marathon of Concerts in Greenwich Village
May 10th: Medeski, Martin & Wood & ?? at Brooklyn Masonic Temple, featuring So Percussion, Steven Bernstein, Vernon Reid & more!!
May 11th: Night Of The Living DIY in Brooklyn, Seattle, Norway & more...
May 12th: Improvised Round Robin Duets at 92Y Tribeca
Lovingly and tirelessly organized by Adam Schatz of Search & Restore, and Brice Rosenbloom of BoomCollective.
Other Undead performers include Medeski, Martin & Wood at Brooklyn Masonic Temple on Thursday (5/10) and a multi-venue "Night of the Living DIY" on Friday (5/11) which includes the previously mentioned Bjorkestra show at the new Shapeshifer Lab (which meanwhile is hosting two nights of Undead-presented shows with Nels Cline, Tim Berne & Jim Black).
Thurston Moore has been responsible for choosing the lineups at The Stone since April 16th. Upcoming Thurston-curated shows include U.S. Girls (tonight, 4/21), "Kim Gordon with Guest" on 4/23 which is right before a Talk Normal performance on the same day, and Nancy Garcia on 4/29. Thurston's reign ends on 4/30. Check the Stone's site for the whole calendar.
Thurston, who recently played a Japan benefit, has his own shows coming up at Music Hall of Williamsburg, in Northampton, at the Pitchfork Festival, and as part of his White Out project on a bill with Metal Mountains and Bardo Pond at Le Poisson Rouge on June 18th.
For more Sonic Youth, Steve Shelley also has shows coming up, both as part of Disappears and Spectre Folk.
One day after they play the Stone, Talk Normal share a bill with Grass Widow (like they did when they opened for Sonic Youth in Prospect Park), Broken Water and Tara Jane O'Neil at Death By Audio.
Negative Approach in Austin 2009 (more)
Bad Brilliance at Santos in 2009 (more by Andrew Frisicano)
today in NYC
* daytime stuff
* Si*Se @ The Bell House
* Matt Welch @ The Stone
* Chi-Chi Glass @ Barbes
* Dub Is A Weapon @ Zebulon
* Cynthia Hopkins @ Barbes
* Rock the Bells @ Governors Island
* Mister Saturday Night w/ Theo Parrish
* Rangda, Major Stars, Meg Baird @ Cake Shop
* Dean Parrish, The Black Hollies @ Southpaw
* Orphan, Eric Copeland, Bad Dream @ Union Pool
* Classixx, Punches, Eli Escobar @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Hahn Rowe, Roger Kleier, Annie Gosfield @ The Stone
* These United States, Roadside Graves @ Mercury Lounge
* Jones Street Station, Last Good Tooth @ Mercury Lounge
* Big Freedia, DJ Rusty Lazer, House of Ladosha @ Coco 66
* Data Dog, Lost Boy?, Food Stamps, Villanelles @ Don Pedro
* Robbers On High Street, Only Son, New Numbers @ The Rock Shop
* Wild Nothing, Blank Dogs, Cosmetics, MINKS @ Bowery Ballroom
* Magic Bullets, Blood Orange, The Cinnamon Band, Beach Combers @ Pianos
* Starkweather, Raw Radar War, The Communion, PanzerBastard @ The Acheron
* The Specific Heats, Knight School, Moonmen On The Moon, Man @ Glasslands
* Raw Radar War, Starkweather, The Communion, Panzerbastard @ The Acheron
* Dinosaur Feathers, Lonnie Walker, The Fatty Acids, Hospitality @ Littlefield
* Exodus, Malevolent Creation, Holy Grail, Bonded By Blood @ Gramercy Theatre
* Autolux, This Will Destroy You, Light Pollution @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* The Jaguar Club, The Cloud Room, The Vita Ruins, Gold Streets @ Union Hall
* Quilt, Sweet Bulbs, Red Romans (of Beach Fossils), Total Slacker @ Silent Barn
* Bare Wires, Unnatural Helpers, Library on Fire, Violent Soho @ Dead Herring (moved from Bruar)
* Hello Nurse, Left Me Bashful, Dead Stars, Morning Fuzz, The Twees @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Birthday Cake, X-Stina Ballerina, GOJOE, Bad Brilliance, The Penniless Loafers @ Santos Party House
* White Out w/ Thurston Moore, Carlos Giffoni and C Spencer Yeh Duo, Fat Worm of Error @ Knitting Factory
* Negative Approach, Tesco Vee, Pissed Jeans, Hellmouth, Mind Eraser, New Lows ('Why be Something You're Not'/Touch And Go Fanzine' Release Party) @ Santos Party House
This is part 2 of What's Going On Saturday, Check out Part One too.
Soul party Dig Deeper hosts Dean Parrish and The Black Hollies at Southpaw tonight. Dig Deeper is also responsible for the upcoming Brooklyn Soul Festival at the Bell House featuring, among others, Eli Paperboy Reed who also plays a free show at the J&R MusicFest today.
Bad Brilliance will reveal himself. or so he says, tonight at Santos, which is unrelated to the Negative Approach/Tesco Vee show also happening at Santos tonight. A Bad Brilliance video promo for the show (not for children) below...
"Due to issues beyond my control, we had to move the show from Bruar Falls to Dead Herring"
Hello Nurse play The Studio on the same night The Cloud Room play Union Hall. The fact that neither venue existed back then aside, it's a 2006 flashback.
THE FIRST 100 PEOPLE TO THE MERCH BOOTH AT BOWERY TONIGHT:
CT-78: Bowery Ballroom free giveaway.----
A tape and CD-R (both with the same tracks on it)
100% exclusive to this release. It will not be available digital.
Only 100 are being made, all numbered.
First 100 people to the merch table get one. Limit one per ticketholder.
1. Wild Nothing "Introduction"
2. Blank Dogs "Floorboards"
3. Zodiacs "Black Dreams"
Thurston w/ Sonic Youth @ MHOW in November (more by Lori Baily)
Thurston Moore will join White Out (noisemaking duo Lin Culbertson and Tom Surgal) for what, according to their website, is the only the group's third show this year. It happens Friday, December 18th at (Le) Poisson Rouge, and headlining will be Philly psych-rock band Bardo Pond (both acts are on Thurston's Ecstatic Peace label). Tickets are still on sale.
White Out put out two records this year, both recordings of live shows. Senso, captured at the now-defunct downtown club Tonic on December 18, 2004, and featuring Thurston Moore and Jim O'Rourke, came out in September on Ecstatic Peace. The other record, Live at No Fun LP, has guests Spencer Yeh and Carlos Giffoni. It came out on No Fun Productions and was recorded at No Fun Fest 2008 (...both run by Giffoni).
Bardo Pond's only other NYC show this year was at No Fun Fest 2009. They played the same night as Sonic Youth. Their most recent release, peri, is, like batholith before it, a "collection of tracks that were close to the band's heart but for various reasons had never been released."
White Out videos and a show flyer are below...
A video trailer for the new double album SENSO by White Out with Jim O'Rourke and Thurston Moore on Ecstatic Peace, below...