Entries tagged with: Wynn Walent
It's a Win Wynn situation...
Arcade Fire singer Win Butler is having a pretty busy weekend in New York, doing non-Arcade Fire things. Tonight (2/13), he's playing the NBA All-Star Celebrity Game at MSG with Common and others, and also DJing The Hold Steady's show at Bowery Ballroom (sold out) as DJ Windows 98. He DJs once again under that moniker late-night on Saturday (2/14) at Baby's (also sold out).
Earlier in the day on Saturday, he'll take a break from music and basketball to pursue yet another hobby... being a barista. He'll be serving at NYC's La Colombe in Hudson Square (75 Vandam St) to celebrate his new blend of RaRa Haitian Coffee that he created in partnership with La Colombe. The time he'll be serving will be announced Saturday morning, according to the coffee company. Here's what he says:
Being in the mountains of Haiti, it is hard not to think about coffee. The elevation, the sunshine, the soil, and incredible people, who have been growing the plant on tiny family plots for centuries. Haiti is buzzing with potential and possibility, and coffee can be an important part of its rebirth!You can also order the blend online. Proceeds will support Partners In Health and Haiti Coffee Academy.
I'd heard about what La Colombe was doing with their coffee academy so I approached them to see if they'd make this coffee for me, because coffee is so important to Haiti, and Haiti is so important to me and everyone in the band.
Really happy to share this with you, especially with all the funds going to Partners in Health, The Coffee Academy and Haiti.
The Hudson Square location is one of five La Colombe cafes in NYC, and they also have locations in Philly, Chicago, and DC. Though it will only be served at the Hudson Square cafe, it will be available to purchase at any location for the next 10 days/2 weeks.
Speaking of "wins" helping Haiti, singer/songwriter Wynn Walent continues to do so as well, and has a recorded a new album to benefit Haiti. You can stream or download it for free at his website, but donations are encouraged. He wrote on Huffington Post:
Most of the album was recorded in Brooklyn at Lindbergh Palace Studios, and it features recordings from the chapel in Haiti as well. Half of the songs are English interpretations of the Haitian spirituals I love so deeply, and the other half I wrote. The songs are faithful, (think Tom Joad, not Pat Robertson) and speak to the need for hope and community in the way our own Americana tradition does. The songs in the chapel are sung each day by a group of people who are fully engaged in their communities and fully committed to finding faith, hope and love under every rock.A trailer video with some of the music can be watched below.
The 5th anniversary of the earthquake is approaching. That tragic day brought me to Haiti; it wasn't in my plans before then. I intended to stay for two months, and five years later here I am. The Haiti that I fell in love with is in these songs, songs that grow out of many acts of defiance.
Wynn Walent & friends in Haiti
Singer-songwriter Wynn Walent no longer lives in NYC, so the show he's playing this Thursday night (1/10) at Littlefield with Great Elk and Matt Singer is a rarity, but it's more than that. The reason Wynn has been so scare around these parts is because he's spent most of the past three years dedicating his life to Haiti Earthquare relief, a cause that this particular show is also raising money for. Tickets are on sale, or will be at the door. Head out and show support, and learn more in an article Wynn wrote for Huffington Post, and in a video starring Wynn, below...
today in NYC
* Stef Eye @ The Stone
* Matt Munisteri @ Barbes
* Miya Masaoka @ The Stone
* Grupo Los Santos @ Barbes
* Questlove @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Gene Ween @ Mexicali Live (NJ)
* Sofia Coppola @ Apple Store SoHo
* Fran Healy, Foley @ Bowery Ballroom
* Dirty Dozen Brass Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Ronnie Spector @ the Strand Theatre (NJ)
* Florence and the Machine Live on Letterman
* AwShockKiss, Make Out @ Mercury Lounge
* The Hundred in the Hands @ Death By Audio
* Jenny Slate, Joe Mande, Matt Fitzpatrick @ Coco66
* Life of Agony, Biohazard & VOD @ Best Buy Theater
* Jen Gloeckner, Mia Riddle, M Lamar @ The Bell House
* Mammal of Paradise, Glory Girls, Peasant @ Bruar Falls
* Christmas In Balthrop, Alabama @ Lincoln Center (free)
* Jimmy McMillan of the Rent Is Too Damn High Party @ Europa
* California King, Earl Greyhound @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Starscream, Web Dating, Doldrums, Shark?, Moon @ Shea Stadium
* Job For A Cowboy, Skeletonwitch, Misery Index @ Santos Party House
* Computer Magic, Grandchildren, Soft Reeds, The Stationary Set @ Pianos
* Dan Peck Trio, Weasel Walter, Duchampion, Cancer Dance @ Silent Barn
* MiniBoone, The Gypsy West, System Noise, Bangladeafy @ Bowery Electric
* Apollo Heights, The Archive, Sweat Hearts, Hunters & Runners @ Lit Lounge
* Keepaway, Headless Horseman, Slow Animal, The Young Maths, Phury @ Glasslands
* Ryan Hobler, Wynn Walent, Matt Singer, Great Elk, Casey Shea @ The Living Room
* Kung Fu (featuring members of Raq, Deep Banana Blackout, The Breakfast, Jazz Is Dead, Allman Brothers) @ Southpaw
* Something About Death Or Dying (member of The Gaslight Anthem), Communication Redlight, Go Falcon!, I Hate Our Freedom @ Maxwell's
Trap Them is no longer playing Santos tonight, but do have a show coming up at Cake Shop in January.
Peasant appears at Bruar Falls tonight.
Steve Mason @ Knitting Factory is cancelled.
Check out This Week In Indie for more.
Singer-songwriter Wynn Walent has spent the past year or two doing humanitarian work in places like Haiti and South America. Sometimes he comes back to visit and plays a show with friends like he is doing at Living Room tonight.
Life of Agony and VOD play Best Buy Theater tonight (with Biohazard), and Starland Ballroom in January.
A new Radio Dept video for "Never Follow Suit" is below...
* Wynn Walent & Cheyenne are playing Pianos
* Earth Crisis plays Blender Theater
* Patti Smith @ Lincoln Center's Allen Room
* Keren Ann & Dean & Britta @ Bowery Ballroom
* Cadence Weapon & Burn Ruffians @ Union Hall
* Titus Andronicus & Eamon Hamilton @ Galapagos
* Roky Erickson & Thurston Moore @ Webster Hall
* Perfect From Now On paperback book release party
* Genghis Tron, Aa, Shooting Spires, Ponytail, etc @ Market Hotel
* Lo-Fi-Fnk, The Cansecos & Finger on the Pulse @ Highline Ballroom (LATE)
Unlike High Places last night, the Genghis Tron show IS HAPPENING AT THE MARKET HOTEL tonight. Metal Injection recently filmed Genghis Tron being interviewed and playing a show. Videos below. What else?
DOWNLOAD: Wynn Walent - It's OK (MP3)
Formerly Known as “Long Island Lolita”, Amy Fisher…To Mix Music as Guest DJ for the First time ever at Her Sex Tape Release Party celebrating it being the # 1 Video in the Nation* Natalie Merchant is playing Hiro Ballroom
Amy Fisher is back and will be hitting the turntables as a guest DJ, Friday January 4, 2008 at 10pm at 513 W28th Street in Manhattan. Ms Fisher will be joined by NYC Club Guru “JE” Englebert. The controversial sex video which Amy Fisher is featured will be displayed their (sic). [via Best Week Ever] (& flyer via DS & DL)
* Dub is a Weapon is playing Sullivan Hall
* Wynn Walent & Michael Leviton @ Pete's Candy Store
* People Don't Dance No More @ Studio B
* Jamie Stewart (Xiu Xiu) solo @ a Luteran Church
* Fred Thomas of SLGTM is @ The Creek and the Cave
* Team Robespierre is playing Silent Barn, and....
1- Zegota--the very influential late 90s DIY punk band from North Carolina is playing on there reunion tour.What else?
2- Stza the singer of Leftover Crack is doing a rare solo acoustic performance of LOC greatest hits and other stuff.
Thanks to everyone who came out to the first of three BrooklynVegan day parties at Pianos yesterday (Wednesday November 1, 2006). It was an exhausting, but successful day full of great live music.
THE LITTLE ONES GETTING CREATIVE WITH THE FLYERS
DAVE HILL HIGH ON VITAMIN WATER
WYNN WALENT & DAVID DEPORIS PLAYED UPSTAIRS
(DJ) JACKSON POLLIS GOT DOWN WITH THUNDERBIRDS ARE NOW!
CSS PACKED THE HOUSE
FERRABY LIONHEART WAS THE PERFECT ENDING TO A LONG DAY
...and somehow we ended right on time.
Sucka Pants was there - his CSS pics are here. Extrawack and Eric were there too. Yeti stopped by for lunch - luckily not dressed as his MySpace page. Micah Welner came by to sing one song with Thunderbirds are Now! and help Jackson DJ - he posted what they played.
More pics later. See you Friday.