Entries tagged with: nightclub fire
Over the weekend, it was reported that a fire broke out in a Romanian nightclub during metal band Goodbye to Gravity's show. At first 27 were fatalities were announced, but that number has since risen to 32 and three owners of the club were also arrested. Now, as Rolling Stone reports, several members of the Romanian government have resigned:
Prime minister Victor Ponta and Cristian Popescu Piedone, mayor of the district where the Colectiv nightclub was located, both resigned Wednesday amidst protests in the Romanian capital about the corrupt government that allowed these unsafe venues to remain open.The Guardian also mentions that protestors are also urging Romanian interior minister Gabriel Oprea to resign.
"I'm handing in my mandate. I'm resigning - and implicitly my government too," Ponta said of his Social Democratic party after 20,000 protestors swarmed the capital. "I am obliged to take note of the legitimate grievances which exist in society. I hope handing in my and my government's mandate will satisfy the demands of protesters."
The Rolling Stone article also points out that the nightclub fire isn't the sole reason Ponta is resigning. They write, "The politician is facing a litany of corruption charges stemming from both before and after he took the prime minister's office. Those charges include tax evasion, money laundering, conflict of interest, forging expense claims and more."
photo of the fireworks taking off, posted by Vlad Busca on Facebook
According to the BBC, 27 people were killed and over 140 were hospitalized after a fire broke out at a metal band's show in Bucharest, Romania last night. The band, Goodbye to Gravity, had reportedly set off fireworks during their set which caused the ceiling and a pillar to catch fire. Romanian President Klaus Iohannis said, "We already have indications that the legal regulations had not been respected."
One attendee, Delia Tugui, wrote on Facebook (via USA Today):
In 30 seconds...the fire spread all over the ceiling. People rushed to the entrance but it was too narrow, and people panicked. Behind me people stampeded, climbing over each other, to try and get out. Friends were looking for each other under the pile of people. Asking 'Is it you? Where are you? I can't see you. Is that your arm?' It was a nightmare. I realized that those on the other side of the bar would not get out alive.The BBC article also points out that witness Victor Ionescu said people were fainting because of the smoke and being trampled.
The country has declared three days of national mourning in honor of the victims.
According to local authorities, the soundproofing foam in the nightclub's ceiling was ignited by fireworks set off by the live entertainment.At least 233 people died inside the club in Brazil on Sunday.
Many of the victims died of smoke inhalation inside the club's bathrooms, where investigators believe patrons ended up after mistaking them for exits.
Three people have been arrested in connection with the fire, including one of the club's owners and the band's lead singer. Early reports claimed the club had its safety documents in order, but new testimony suggests that might not be the case.
A video of the band in question (Gurizada Fandangueira), who all escaped the fire except for an accordian player, below...