take a sonic excursion through NYC w/ ISSUE Project Room
On the afternoon of Sunday June 7, a group of visionary artists will lead sonic excursions throughout New York as part of a rare live sonic arts experiment — the ISSUE Project Room Soundwalk-a-thon — a fundraiser and collective public inquiry into the connection between urban space and our collective sonic imaginations.
Led and designed by some of New York’s most exciting sound artists and musicians, these walks will take groups of 10-20 people at a time on an intimate journey of sonic discovery to experience our community in a way they may never have done before — through sound. Walks range from meditative deep listening, to sing-alongs, to noise-making walks incorporating instruments, ipods, boomboxes, cell phones, or silence in order to amplify the nuances of our ever-changing soundscape.
Walk sign-up forms are available, while spots last, until June 1st.
ISSUE is also hosting a “A special anniversary celebration loosely inspired by Alejandro Jodorowsky‘s 1973 masterpiece of psychedelic cinema, The Holy Mountain” on Tuesday, May 19th at Galapagos Art Space. That event includes performances, film, DJs and more. Tickets are on sale. Full information, with Soundwalk-a-thon info and schedule, below….
ISSUE Project Room’s Sixth Anniversary Party
Tuesday May 19, 2009 @ Galapagos Art Space
6:30 pm Reception with Founder & Artistic Director Suzanne Fiol & Featured Performers
8:00 pm Performances
Join us as we celebrate ISSUE’s 6th Anniversary of presenting the freshest art of our time and ISSUE’s recent selection as occupant for the beautiful McKim Mead and White theater space at 110 Livingston Street. The night begins at 6:30 pm with a pre-performance reception with ISSUE’s Founder and Artistic Director, Suzanne Fiol and featured artists from the evening followed by performances beginning at 8pm by:
Lone Wolf and Cub
The Pinch of the Baboon (JG Thirlwell, Ed Pastorini, Oren Bloedow and Ben Perowsky)
members of Excepter
Ray Sweeten – live video and performance
Brock Monroe – live visuals (member of the Joshua Light Show)
“Straight and Narrow” (1970), Film screening by Tony Conrad with soundtrack by John Cale and Terry Riley
Films by Martha Colburn, Bradley Eros & Marie Losier
DJ Fabio from WFMU’s “Strength through Failure”
Robot Movie by Jim Sharpe with Soundtrack by Lary Seven
Plus, photo portraits by Carissa Pelleteri, Surprise auctions of visual art, Prize for best “Holy Mountain” inspired costume! And, raffle prizes! Your chance to win: 5 Free Yoga Classes at Prema Yoga NYC, a beautiful gold necklace designed by Michelle Fantaci (see photo below), your own Henna Art / Henna Tattoo Session at Henna Studio (see photo below), a signature head piece designed by Jennifer Behr.
Choose your own adventure:
* All Borough Bag Walk led by Michelle Nagai
* Balloon Bassoon Promenadeled by Kenny Wollesen
* Carroll Street Soundwalk led by Todd Shalom
* Demasking The Bridge led by Daniel Neumann
* Detox Project led by Betsey Biggs
* Gowan-us! A Crudrophonic Sound Event led by Dylan Gauthier
* Gowanus Field Reflections and The Great Steel Elevator led by Bradford Reed
* Listen 2009 – Remote Access led by Keiko Uenishi
* Microsound Symphonies led by Aaron Lazansky-Olivas
* Prospect Park Ravine Soundwalk led by Jonny Farrow
* Prospect Park Soundwalk led by Andrea Williams
* Shuffle Sing-a-long led by Collective Opera Company
* Soundwalk led by Edmund Mooney
* Tin Can Telewalk led by Kurt Gottschalk and Marie Evelyn
* Transmutation in the shift(—Documenting the Grand Concourse) led by Du Yun
* Underpass Walk led by Bruce Tovsky
* Urban Zensound meditation and labyrinth walk led by Eric A. Dahl
* We would like to run past all your walkers, opposite their direction, while screaming songs. led by Flaming Fire
All walk participants will be invited to attend the post-walk after-party at ISSUE Project Room, 232 3rd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215, featuring musical performance by Ne(x)tworks, where walkers will be able to share their walk experiences and meet other lead artists. Food will be provided.