The Decemberists @ Radio City Music Hall in NYC – pics
photos by Tim Griffin
“The show was in two parts. The first consisted of the band, with the addition of two performers – Becky Stark and Shara Worden, playing the entirety of the Hazards of Love album without even a break between songs…
After the intermission, the second (and more whimsical) set consisted of…
“… the following:”
- Crane Wife 3
- July! July! – I love this song. A smart #2 as well. Whether or not you know the words, it’s the simplest of choruses and everyone sings.
- Billy Liar
- Sleepless (from Dark Was the Night)
- The Bachelor and the Bride
- Daughter of Dracula – Meloy introduced this song by noting that most artists choose to perform their best material at Radio City. He was going to break with that tradition by playing the worst song he ever wrote. ”I started it with a G major 7 and then, what’s worse is that I went to a C major 7. In layman’s terms the douchiest of chord progressions.” He only played a few lines from the song.
- O Valencia!
- The Chimbley Sweep
- Heart’s Crazy on You – Stark and Warden came back out for this song and just went to town on it. Everyone was going nuts except for the two middle schoolers in front of us. Too distant from the 70’s I suppose
- REM’s Peter Buck joined the band for the first song of the encore. I don’t recall what it was.
- Sons and Daughters – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If every concert ended with a song for world peace it wouldn’t be a bad thing.
– [Rattle My Cage]
The R.E.M. song was “Begin the Begin” (thx all), and I guess that counts as the setlist. Peter Buck was in the house to play in opener Robyn Hitchcock‘s band.
And here are more pictures (of the headliner)….