the week in Dance w/ Showtrotta (part 2) (Joakim, Michna, Theo Parrish, Holy Ghost, Soul Bowl, the Drums & more)
DOWNLOAD: Tim Sweeney Live @ Sunday Best – August 16 (MP3)
It’s been a very exciting week in dance, with both Bassment Jaxx and Royksopp show announcements. Unfortunately we still have to wait a few months before those happen. In the meantime, here is what’s going on this weekend:
Fixed‘s return to the Tribeca Grand last month was awesome, featuring a live performance from Free Energy and a great dj set from Riton. This Saturday’s (8/22) party should be just as much fun, with a dj set from Tigersushi label head Joakim (whose Watermelon Bubblicious EP, available on iTunes and Beatport, has been getting loads of support this summer) and a live performance by the Drums. Check out the latest episode of Finger on the Pulse’s new radio show, Snacky Tunes, for a mix & interview from Fixed’s JDH. Party info below:
Also on Saturday (8/22):
– Warm Up with Brennan Green, John Selway, Tim Love Lee, Talibam!, and The Phenomenal Handclap Band.
– Light Up the Night (a new disco/boogie monthly) is happening at Le Poisson Rouge.
– The Beach Party with Soundstream.
– Play It Loud at Public Assembly.
– Fear of Music presents Situation at Cameo.
– Lagos Disco Inferno at Glasslands.
– Fundraiser for Refuge NYC featuring Milo, DKDS, Small Change, Joee Irwin, Cobra Krames, Junglez, Action Alex + more TBA. 10 PM – 6 AM. $10 before midnight, $15 after.
– Grand Groove with Chairman Mao at APT.
– Nicky Siano deejays Water Taxi Beach at the South Street Seaport every Saturday night.
– Citizen Kane at Von.
– Strictly Hits at Savalas.
…which brings us to Sunday (8/23):
If you missed last week’s Sunday Best (like I did) you can download everyone’s mixes including Justin Carter’s, Eamon Harkin’s, and guest dj Tim Sweeney’s over at this post. This week Theo Parrish is lined up to deliver a monster 4-hour set from 5pm until close at the BKLYN Yard!
address 400 Carroll St between Bond and Nevins, Brooklyn
if it rains (lets hope it doesn’t!) The Bell House (around the corner)
dates Every Sunday from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend
food Tacos, Huaraches and other Latin American delicacies
booze You have to be 21 to drink it, but we’ll be selling it at the bar
ages All ages
time 3p – 9p
cover $10 // $8 before 4pm with rsvp OR $8 in advance
– Horse Meat Disco‘s DJ Severino is at Hudson Terrace.
– Ain’t Nuthin But A House Party at Water Taxi Beach (LIC).
– The Sunday Getaway with Turntables on the Hudson at Water Taxi Beach – Governors Island.
Here’s what’s happening heading into next week:
– Gravity at Santos.
– Hotel Motel at Le Poisson Rouge with deejays JD Samson, Lauren Flax, Luiza Sa, and Lauren Chillhard.
Michna @ Mercury Lounge
Have a good weekend & check out this mix by Pilooski live at Festival Pantiero, Cannes on Red Bull Music Academy Radio.