the week in Dance w/ David Bruno (05/03/07)
Cornelius @ The El Ray – Apr 30, 2007 (CRED)
Spank Rock @ Coachella – 2007
Chk Chk Chk @ Coachella – 2007
I’m going to geek out on Bjork too.
Wow. What an amazing show last night. After seeing her at Coachella and last night, I really hope that crunchy dance version of “Declare Independence” she rocks at the end of her set gets a proper release. “Raise Your Flag!” would go down well in the clubs. Speaking of da clubs, Spank Rock (who destroyed Coachella on Sunday night) remixed “Earth Intruders.”
Zeitgeist: DANCE? Can You Feel It?
Larry Tee in this week’s Village Voice:
“Dance music finally has an opportunity. It’s kind of hot. I sense something is changing here.”
Tricia Romano delves into the comings and goings of the fight against the Caberet Law, Larry Tee’s proposed “Dance Music Invasion Festival” in NYC October 3rd through 7th, and the Dance Parade on May 19th (partly to protest the Caberet Law, partly to showcase dance (as in the act of)). Dance illegally this weekend: declare your independence.
Speaking of legality, the recent decision by the FCC’s Copyright Royalty Board of Royalty Oversight, Discussion, and Redundancy that hiked up fees for internet broadcasters is being challenged by the SaveNetRadio organization. Internet radio is a crucial promotion vehicle for dance music. Go there and read up. Call your congressperson.
Moby is kicking the dust off his stack of “Go” remixes and playing an old school rave set for the Cut & Trouble + Bass crews at the Masters of the Universe party at Studio B on Saturday (May 5th) night. Wear a mask and rave out. Other techno legends dropping through town this weekend: Sven Vath at Cielo tonight (Thursday May 3rd) and Juan Atkins at Sullivan Room Saturday (May 5th) (Tix).
Lots of Justice news this week. After a wild live set at Coachella that featured 45 minutes of cut, chopped, and fuzzed originals and pieces of their remixes, all performed from a Marshall stack stage. The boys have released their video for their massive next single “D.A.N.C.E.” Its basically a pretty amazing ad for So Me’s work with the Revolver clothing line. If this song isn’t on every radio station this summer, I’d be very surprised. All of you PYTs make sure to kick the B.E.A.T. loud. Possibly one of the most anticipated dance albums of the past few years, Justice’s † is out on Vice SOMETIME soon?
Justice video, more news, downloads, parties, and other surprises, BELOW….
- A Touch of Class plays Beatrice Inn tonight (Thursday) in celebration of their new collection of originals and remixes album “ATOC Still Sucks” (Buy the download from ATOC)
- Boy George talked about Studio 54 on BBC Radio 1 (Real)
- Artist Direct has a good roundup of upcoming DJ mix CDs (I sat down with Hot Chip to discuss their upcoming DJ Kicks mix while they were in NYC, that interview is coming soon)
- Showtrotta was at Hiro last night for the last bit of the Ed Banger Invasion and heard Mehdi drop Justice’s new jam
- Ed Banger stopped by KCRW
- Cut NYC’s The Captain put together a badass mix in preparation for this weekend’s Masters of the Universe Party (MP3 at the top of this post)
- Cousin Cole put together a mix with his edits and re-edits that includes his sexy “Just Like Honey” edit (ZShare)
- You know I love Australia’s Bang Gang DJs, bookmark their new blog Download Jamie Doom’s Buttfu@K Disco Pt. 9 (ZShare)
Saturday – 5/5
*Moby, Curses!, Knifehandchop at Masters of the Universe at Studio B
*Juan Atkins at Sullivan Room (Info and Interview too)
*Joakim DJs at a special Fixed back at Tribeca Grand (Free with RSVP)