the week in Dance w/ David Bruno (11/08/07)
DOWNLOAD: David Bruno – No Way, No Way (Oct 2007 Mix) (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Laurent Garnier – Man With The Red Face (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Laurent Garnier – Live @ The End, London – 24.03.2007 (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Laurent Garnier – live at fuse brussels 20-05-2006 (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Tim & Tim – DFA/Ghostly Halloween Party Mix (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: DFA Justin Miller & Jacques Renault live @ 205, 10/16/2007 (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Tim Sweeney’s Winter 2007 DFA mix (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Juan Maclean’s Winter 2007 DFA mix (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: The Captain, Drop the Lime, Star Eyes Live @ mr. BLACK (M4a) (info)
Laurent Garnier, head of the wonderful F Communications record label, producer of seminal 90s classic “Crispy Bacon” and the anthem “The Man With The Red Face”, former resident DJ at the Hacienda, and BEST DJ in the world plays Cielo in NYC on Saturday night (Nov 10, 2007). This will be his first visit to the US in over 5 years.
Laurent’s production work ranges from deep house to techno and now electronic jazz, but his DJ sets defy categorization. Jumping from classic dance and disco tracks to current unreleased (sometimes HARD) techno and back, Laurent injects so much soul and emotion into his sets that at times its hard to beleive that you are listening to electronic music. With his diverse DJ and production background, Laurent is a DJ that has the ability to make his audiences believe in the power and collectivity of electronic music. Tickets for Saturday still available here.
Laurent Garnier US Tour 2007
November 9 Chicago / Spy Bar
November 10 New York / Cielo
November 15 Atlanta / Wet Bar
November 16 Miami / Shine
November 17 L.A / Avalon
Same night (Saturday) over in Brooklyn, Made Event (the production team that brings Armin Van Buuren, Eric Prydz, and Oakenfold to town) holds their debut event at Studio B. Co-presented by Studio B regulars the Cut boys with opening sets by the Trouble & Bass crew, the night features Get Physical’s M.A.N.D.Y (co-owners with Booka Shade) and London’s Crosstown Rebels head honcho Damian Lazarus. Expect some moody and melodic techno. View and vote for Cut’s cool video on Current.com.
Speaking of firsts at Studio B… Our (Robot Blair + Me) People Don’t Dance No More party makes its Studio B debut on Friday night. After the sudden closure of our home at 200 Orchard (sign the petition if you haven’t already), the wonderful folks at Studio B stepped in to help us out. So this cold Friday night (Nov 9, 2007), for $0 come warm up with cheap drinks and dance to the disco of Acute Records boss Dan Selzer, Wurst Edits’ Jacques Renault (and Paper Mag’s Best DJ), Fun’s Eamon Harkin, and me. Flyer and details here. Also, I have a new mix (I promise to get you them a bit more often) up for download here.
James Murphy DJing in Toronto- Nov 5, 2007 (CRED)
MUSIC & NEWS
- Burial’s second album is out now and is bit more 2 step than his dubstep genre defining debut, the mystery man sat down with the Guardian
- Alexis from Hot Chip sits down and talks about the new record and a 2 step revival with FACT Magazine
- HOT: An extensive article on Sorceror and Hatchback and the San Francisco new disco scene in the Bay Guardian. I’m really into these guys and so is James Murphy. The two teamed up for the Windsurf remix of Us V Them on the most recent LCD single
- James Murphy dishes about DJing and his (and Pat Mahoney’s) Fabric Live mix
- John Pugh talks about Free Blood and bottle service. Free Blood plays with Pylon tonight @ Music Hall of Williamsburg.
- Bowery Boys has a weekly feature on historic NYC nightlife locales, the most recent is on the Roxy
- Justice are playing in LA on New Years Eve. Daft Punk are touring Australia. And a whole bunch of Modular Records news.
- Prins Thomas does it spacey and discoy for the Resident Advisor Podcast
- Fabric London launches their own Podcast with Craig Richards…this podcast will focus on artists’ inspirations. Awesome.