the weekend in Dance w/ Showtrotta (Kelley Polar, Nicky Siano, Sharon Jones, My Cousin Roy & more )
Hercules & Love Affair @ Irving Plaza – Aug 8, 2008 (Eduardo)
Friday (August 15) there are some more events that are outside of my usual listening, but might be interesting:
* Fabric resident and musical director, Craig Richards is at Cielo. He actually did the first cd in the Fabriclive series (which you can stream some samples of here) as well as the first Fabric podcast in which he details some of his older influences (from the 30’s-80’s) and favorite tracks, which can you download as an MP3 (along with all the others in the series) here. Tickets will be $25 at the door, $15 in advance here. 10pm doors.
* I’ve been reading that Alex Smoke is amazing live, but I haven’t seen him before. He’ll be at the Bunker, in the back room of Public Assembly. Doors are at 11. Tickets are $15 at the door. This is a video of him deejaying just days ago at Sunday’s Piknic Electronik (a great outdoor dance party) in Montreal:
* Non-dance related suggestion: Go see Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original) at Pier 45 for free!
For me Saturday (August 16) is when things start to look more exciting:
– in a symphonic way with Kelley Polar
– in a more modern boogie and R&B meet house and techno way with Metro Area
– in a who knows what (but sure to be very interesting) way with the avant-garde Tony Conrad
My Cousin Roy
Keep it in Long Island City for the Beach Party where master of the one of the best Wurst Edits, My Cousin Roy will be deejaying!
The party is from 8pm – 3am and costs $5. Directions and any other info you might need is available here.
also: New free Saturday Late Night Bus Shuttle between Water Taxi Beach and the #7 Subway at Vernon Jackson Blvd from 10pm to 3am!
That should take you over to Sunday (August 16) where I propose two options:
My final option isn’t a typical “dance” option, but if you don’t get down at this show there has got to be something wrong with you –
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings at Summerstage.
1. It’s free
2. It’s outside
3. Anyone with any appreciation for Soul music will enjoy this show. When I say any appreciation I really mean it – if you or someone you know has ever liked any Soul song…you will probably have an amazing time at this show. Sharon’s energy is unparalleled. Her voice is amazing and the Dap Kings are there, flawlessly backing her up for what is likely to be one of the most fun afternoons you have had in a while. Please just trust me on this one…though you don’t have to as she’s been covered here for quite some time.
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings at Coachella 2008 (more by Ryan Muir)
Check out my Underworld review HERE.