What’s going on Wednesday (Thanksgiving eve)
AM NY: Because of your solo career, Junip has had to take many breaks over the years. Was there any time you thought that a hiatus might be permanent?
Jose Gonzalez: I think we weren’t dramatic enough to call it quits. Once in a while we talked about getting together and giv[ing] the band a proper try, so I guess we felt that it would happen someday.
AM NY: You create your songs through group improvisation. Do you have a great “aha! Moment” when you you’ve hit on something?
Jose Gonzalez: When we improvise we do get aha! moments all the time and that’s when we start recording. But it’s only afterwards that we realize if it’s crap or gold. We have a lot of gigabytes of crap. We continue working on the sketches and at the last minute I write the lyrics at home.
AM NY: What made you decide to write lyrics in English as opposed to Swedish?
Jose Gonzalez: When I started to write when I was 14, I just what everyone else did. It’s very common for Swedish bands to sing in English. Swedish felt too direct while English was more enigmatic, but now that aspect is gone since we’re touring mainly in English-speaking countries. So now it’s only because of habit — we’ll see what I’ll write in the future.
AM NY: On the website, you guys discuss each track from the album in detail, but some musicians are reluctant to share that process. What made you open to it?
Jose Gonzalez: I think it depends on what you’re saying about each track. With lyrics I like some sense of mystery, that’s why I usually don’t explain in detail what I mean. But if you’re talking about anecdotes of the recording sessions or some nerdy facts about our sound then it doesn’t matter at all.
today in NYC
* Bruxos @ Barbes
* Jen Shyu @ Barbes
* Bob Dylan @ Terminal 5
* Ken Filiano @ The Stone
* Gino Sitson @ The Stone
* Chrisette Michele @ BB Kings
* Ryan Francesconi @ Sycamore
* Paul Oakenfold @ Roseland Ballroom
* Junip, Lost in the Trees @ Irving Plaza
* Mucky Pup & Murphy’s Law @ Mexicali Live (NJ)
* Mussels, The Zoobombs, Hard Nips @ The Rock Shop
* Kidding on the Square, Bocat, Daniel Wayne @ Southpaw
* Free Energy, Foxy Shazam, Hollerado @ Bowery Ballroom
* Delorean, Lemonade, Light Pollution @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Viva L’american Death Ray Machine, DJ Inspektor Strawberry Soda Pop @ Zebulon
* Grimace Federation, Jason Fraticelli & The Wet Dreams, Caveman, Becca Schack @ Mercury Lounge
* Twin Shadow (DJ set), Computer Magic, Hooray For Earth, The Vandelles, Paul and the Patients @ Pianos
Ray Davies is no longer playing the Beacon tonight.
SuperVegan lists where to eat on Thanksgiving.