What’s going on Sunday?
Ari Up & the Slits
today in NYC
* Questlove @ Cielo
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Teddy Thompson @ City Winery
* Daniel Kitson @ St Ann’s Warehouse
* Etta Place, Blow, Marra Barr @ Zebulon
* Phillip Greenlief, Jon Raskin @ The Stone
* Connie Crothers, Kevin Norton @ The Stone
* Hannibal Buress & friends @ Knitting Factory
* Moodrings, EULA, Im Turning Into @ Death By Audio
* Stephane Wrembel Presents The Django Experiment @ Barbes
* Right On Dynamite, Le Boum, Hiawatha, Delta Hotel @ Coco 66
* Mister Heavenly, Sun Airway, Little Shalimar @ Bowery Ballroom
* Weasel Walter, Marc Edwards, Goblin War, Fossils @ Silent Barn
* The Toasters, Royal City Riot, The Rudie Crew @ Knitting Factory
* Blitz the Ambassador & the Embassy Ensemble featuring Baloji @ SOB’s
* Doris Cellar of Freelance Whales, Mammal of Paradise, Baby Alpaca @ Glasslands
* Tyvek, Fergus & Geronimo, Xray Eyeballs, The Gaming Commission @ Mercury Lounge
* The Beatles Complete on Ukelele w/ Nat & Alex Wolff, Julian Velard, Deni Bonet and Terry Radigan & more @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Neneh Cherry, members of The Slits, members of The Slackers, Brave New Girl, The Band Droidz, Bruce Smith from PiL (Ari Up Birthday Party) @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Just as a reminder, tonight at MHOW:
WHAT: In honor of the memory of the legendary Ari Up a/k/a Ariane Forster, lead singer of the pioneering girl punk band the Slits, True Warriors and more, Dunia Best and Aram Sinnreich (Brave New Girl, Agent 99), NYU Punk Professor Vivien Goldman, Joly MacFie of Punkcast.com and friends are throwing a PUNKY REGGAE PARTY on January 16, 2011 at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.
WHO: Participating artists, led by Musical Director Ira Heaps, include original and current members of the Slits, including Tessa Pollitt, Hollie Cook, Neneh Cherry and AnnA Ozawa; Bruce Smith of PiL and the Slits; members of Brave New Girl; Band Droidz; legendary Beefheart guitarist Gary Lucas; Afrobeat superstar Wunmi Olaiya; Felice Rosser (Faith); Dee Pop (Bush Tetras, Radio I-Ching); Lizzi Bougatsis (Gang Gang Dance); Afro-Punk avatar Tamar-Kali, King Django; Honeychild Coleman; Barbara Gogan (The Passions); Sherleen Nubro; Lisa Samuels and many luminaries from the punk and reggae worlds backed by Ira Heaps and the True Warriors performing classic Slits hits, dancehall and previously unheard originals by Ari Up. Lyrical Readings and Remembrances by Michael Patrick McDonald, Greg Tate, Sara Marcus (Girls To The Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution) and Angela Jaeger (ex-Pigbag).
Plus never before seen video footage and MORE SURPRISE GUESTS.
WHEN:Sunday January 16, 2011
Doors: 7:00 PM / Show: 8:00 PM
Proceeds will benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
If you can’t make it to Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight,
the show is being live ‘TwitCast‘ UPDATE: Twitcast cancelled. The afterparty, complete with live music, is taking place practically across the street at Cameo Gallery with Subatomic Sound System starting at 12.30am.
And the Golden Globes are tonight.