What’s going on Monday? (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
Buke and Gass @ Mercury Lounge in Dec (more by David Andrako)
today in NYC
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Raya Brass Band @ Barbes
* Whiplash w/ Daniel Kitson @ UCB
* Crinkles, Rifle Recoil, Y/Y @ Zebulon
* Martha Wainwright @ Rockwood Music Hall
* deVries, Spanish Prisoners, Brick and Mortar, The Can’t Tells @ Pianos
* Legitimate Sons, Johnny Butler, Jason Anthony Harris, Jonathan Wood Vincent @ Cake Shop
* Hot Club of Detroit, Milly Beau, Tony Scherr Trio, Jim Campilongo Electric Trio, Tony Mason @ The Living Room
* Buke and Gass, Victoire, So Percussion, Nadia Sirota, Timo Andres, Gabriel Kahane, Chiara String Quartet, John Matthias, NOW Ensemble, Lisa Moore (Ecstatic Music Festival Marathon) @ Merkin Concert Hall
Maybe you have today off?
The Ecstatic Music Festival kicks off on Monday, January 17 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day) with a FREE 7-hour marathon from 2-9 pm featuring sets by some of the artists appearing later in the festival along with additional performers and headliners Buke and Gass with Victoire. Program highlights include a rare performance of Julius Eastman’s Stay On It with Ne(x)tworks; the U.S. premiere of John Matthias, Adrian Corker and Andrew Prior’s new work for violin, voice, electric guitar, piano and NeuroSampler, what happens; the second-ever New York performance of Corey Dargel’s complete Other People’s Love Songs with NOW Ensemble; and the Chiara String Quartet performing Jefferson Friedman’s String Quartet No. 3.
Doors open at 1 pm. The marathon is free, and no tickets or reservations are required. A variety of snacks and drinks, including beer and wine, will be available at the concessions stand throughout the day.
Read more about the performers at the festival’s blog.
The Wombats, U.S. Royalty, Sigmund Droid @ Glasslands is postponed.