What’s going on Saturday?
Trash Talk (more by Greg Cristman)
today in NYC
* Nass Gwana @ Zebulon
* Simon Amstell @ Theatre 80
* Ani DiFranco @ Town Hall
* Pedro Giraudo Sextet @ Barbes
* Louis C.K. @ St. George Theatre
* Bassnectar, GRiZ, Gladkill @ Terminal 5
* TRASH TALK, Mellowhype @ Gramercy Theatre
* Matt & Kim, Oberhofer @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Reagan Youth, Dust Angel @ The Grand Victory
* Dysrhythmia, Loincloth, Stats @ Public Assembly
* Mustard Plug, The Void Union @ Knitting Factory
* Said The Whale, The Tins, Andrew Keoghan @ Pianos
* Naomi Punk, Habibi, The Mallard, Noons @ Cake Shop
* Untold, Bryan Kasenic, Nihal Ramchandani @ 285 Kent
* Gary Wilson, Jan Teri, ZZZ’s, Childproof, Aquadora @ XPO 929
* Ducktails, Scott & Charlenes Wedding @ 252 Norman Ave
* INC., Sky Ferreira, Dev Hynes, Physical Therapy @ Steel Drums
* Matthew Dear, Light Asylum, Beacon, MNDR @ Webster Hall
* Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, The Stepkids @ Beacon Theatre
* Math the Band, Infinity Shred, The Eskalators, Saffire Doors @ Death By Audio
* Heart of Darkness Hosted By Greg Barris with Sean Patton, Nick Turner @ Union Hall
* Professor Blastoff Live w/ Tig Notaro, Kyle Dunnigan, David Huntsberger, more @ Bell House
* Real Estate, Vampire Weekend, Devendra Banhart, The Walkmen, Cass McCombs, Dirty Projectors @ St. Ann & The Holy Trinity (sold out Sandy benefit day show)
PS I Love You, who Bill just caught in Montreal, is at Glasslands tonight.
Antony‘s movie “Turning” is playing at IFC Center. The Mark Sandman of Morphine documentary ‘Cure For Pain’ is screening at Nighthawk today and Sunday at noon. Trailer below.
A$AP Rocky‘s NJ show at Starland Ballroom tonight is cancelled, like all Starland Ballroom shows right now.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Sign up to volunteer at the Park Slope Armory shelter tonight or tomorrow.
An intersection in Cambridge, Massachusetts, only a stone’s throw from Harvard University and steps from rock scene landmark Middle East Club, reads “Mark Sandman Square.” This sign is both triumph and tragedy: a celebration of a local band receiving deserved cultural significance and a public tombstone to an artist who dared front a band called Morphine.
Cure for Pain: The Mark Sandman Story explores the life and work of Mark Sandman, deceased frontman of the Boston “low rock” band Morphine. Drawing on previously unseen home movies, photos, archival footage, and intimate, revealing interviews with family members and musical contemporaries, the film offers a unique portrait of the man behind the music. Among those appearing in the film are members of the Sandman family, Seth Mnookin (Vanity Fair), Nic Harcourt (Los Angeles Times, KCRW), Ben Harper, John Medeski, Les Claypool (Primus), Mike Watt (Minutemen, The Stooges), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) and members of Morphine: Dana Colley, Billy Conway and Jerome Deupree.
Cure For Pain (Official Trailer)
TURNING by Charles Atlas and Antony – trailer