What’s going on Tuesday?
Spiritualized @ Emo’s East in Austin, June 2012 (more by Tim Griffin)
Mykki Blanco @ BVSXSW 2013 (more by Amannda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Mat Shipp Trio @ The Stone
* Here Lies Love @ Public Theatre
* Spiritualized @ Secret Project Robot
* Doug Benson @ The Gramercy Theatre
* Ryan Keberle and Catharsis @ Joe’s Pub
* The Black Crowes @ The Capitol Theatre
* Andy Grammar, Parachute @ Irving Plaza
* Sarah Wolfson and Mischa Bouvier @ Barbes
* Spacehog @ Housing Works Cafe & Bookstore
* Flume, Eprom, JDH @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Rhett Miller (of Old 97’s), Joe Pernice @ City Winery
* Superhumanoids, We Barbarians @ Mercury Lounge
* Haerts, Gentleman Hall, Future Screens @ Cameo Gallery
* Justin Miller, Future Classics DJs, JDH (DJs) @ Glasslands
* Mykki Blanco, DJ MikeQ, Rizzla, Ian Isiah @ Bowery Ballroom
* Loma Prieta, Goodtime Boys, Descender, Crushed @ Saint Vitus
* Historics, Light Heat, Geprgoa, Matt Werth (DJ Set) @ Glasslands
* Elephant Stone, Data Romance, Spirit Animal, Desert Stars @ Pianos
* Kings, Flashpoint, Sarah Goldfeather, Lily Henley @ Pete’s Candy Store
* The Fleeting Ends, Leslie Diamond, Cleveland Jones @ The Living Room
* Theologian, Compactor, Explosive Improvised Device, Lussuria @ Silent Barn
* Deb Oh and The Cavaliers, The Old Ghost, I Am Lightyear, DJ Pumpkin Patch @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Yo-Yo Ma, Lil Buck, Brooklyn Rider, Cristina Pato, Marcus Printup, John Hadfield, Ron Myles @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Jessi Klein (of SNL), Alex Karpovski (of Girls), Jake and Amir (of College Humor), Savoir Adore (musical guest) @ UCB East
The new musical of Here Lies Love, which explores the life of former Filipino First Lady Imelda Marcos, with concept and lyrics by David Byrne and music by Byrne and Fatboy Slim, receives its world premiere at the Public Theater in New York City tonight. Performances of the piece, directed by Alex Timbers of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson and Peter and the Starcatcher fame, will take place at the Public’s LuEsther Theater and, originally scheduled to run to May 5, have been extended through May 19. The original run of Here Lies Love is a co-production of the Public Theater, Williamstown Theatre Festival, and MASS MoCA in North Adams, Massachusetts, which gave preview performances of the production last spring.
Flume‘s show at Music Hall of Willliamsburg is sold out, but you can still get tickets to the afterparty which happens at Glasslands with DJ sets from Justin Miller, Future Classics, and JDH. Doors at midnight.
There were many years there when people just couldnt even figure out what drummer Alex Van Halen was playing at the beginning of the Van Halen classic “Hot for Teacher.” Leave it to some random six-year old kid on the internet to figure it out. Video is below.
Janelle Monáe was on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon last night and performed a cover of Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing” with the Roots. You can watch that below.
“Hot For Teacher” Avery 6 year old Drummer
Janelle Monáe and the Roots — “Little Wing”
Cold Cave – “God Made the World”