What’s going on Thursday?
**** Hey What’s Going On readers! We have a special announcement to make and that is the new addition of a proper NYC show calendar on BrooklynVegan . Currently linked from the “NYC Shows” button up above in the main site menu, you can now easily view our top show picks, all shows, metal shows, comedy shows, free shows and more for any upcoming day. “What’s Going On?” will still be a daily post but with more highlights and less of a towering list of links. Meanwhile though, we still have a towering list… ****
Fuzz / Ariel Pink
today in NYC
* Q-Tip @ Stage 48
* Left Banke @ Joe’s Pub
* Rob Delaney @ Caroline’s
* Rachelle Garniez @ Barbes
* Frankmusik @ Maxwell’s
* Sylvie Courvoisier @ The Stone
* Guns N’ Roses @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Nate Wooley @ Issue Project Room
* Cajmere, Free Magic, Faso @ Output
* Calexico, Arc Iris @ Tarrytown Music Hall
* Queens of the Stone Age @ Vintage Vinyl
* Fuzz, Ex-Cult, Pampers @ Death By Audio
* Chris Speed’s Dream Of A Song @ Barbes
* Of Monsters and Men @ iHeartRadioTheater
* Actress, Gobby, Solar Year @ Cameo Gallery
* Iran, Ice Balloons, Sun Ladders @ Union Pool
* American Royalty, Vows, Bird Call @ Glasslands
* The Baptist Generals, AroarA @ Mercury Lounge
* Fuzz, Ex-Cult, Jonathan Toubin @ Red Hook Park
* Sylvie Courvoisier & Ellery Eskelin Duo @ The Stone
* Ariel Pink, Kirin J Callinan, Purple Pilgrims @ Irving Plaza
* Kate Boy, Gemini Club, Hey Champ @ Santos Party House
* B-52s, Nicki Bluhm & The Gamblers @ The Capitol Theatre (POSTPONED)
* John Mulaney, Paul F. Tompkins, Jim Gaffigan @ Bell House
* Lame Drivers, Woolen Men, Darlings, Future Punx @ Cake Shop
* Dave Matthews, The Head and the Heart @ PNC Bank Arts Center
* Pete Francis (of Dispatch), The Tarantula Waltz @ Mercury Lounge
* Todd Barry, Christian Finnegan, Wil Sylvince @ Eastville Comedy Club
* Donavon Frankenreiter, Mia Dyson, Newfound Groove @ Bowery Ballroom
* Sharkmuffin, Adam Aslan Pony, Bleacher Heat, Clouty, DJ No Dubstep @ Muchmore’s
* The Molters, Sky Captain of Industry, Travis Nilan & The List, Jump For The Sails @ Knitting Factory
* Country Mice, Overlake, The Fire Tapes, Donner Party Picnic, The Brooklyn What @ Shea Stadium
* Haley Coupon, Toy Soldiers, Roadkill Ghost Choir, James Bay, Caveman (DJ), Charlie Duerr @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Great Elk, The Stationary Set, Julian Fulton Zombie Gospel, The Ludlow Thieves, Streets of Laredo, Derrick & The Black Sea @ Spike Hill
British electronic musician Actress was supposed to make his way over to Brooklyn for a show last year, but ended up having to cancel. He’ll finally make his way here for a show at Cameo tonight with Gobby and Solar Year, which is sold out.
Ty Segall brings his proto-metal band FUZZ to NYC for the first time. You can see them for free Summerstage show at Red Hook Park early this evening (7 PM start) with Ex Cult. Then both bands head to Williamsburg for a late show at Death by Audio. The DbA show is $10 at the door which opens at 9 PM with bands on at 9:45 PM. Should be a wild one. If you can’t make it tonight, Ex Cult play for free tomorrow too, opening for Oblivians at Seaport Music Festival.
If rocking softly yet debaucherously is more your thing, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Grafitti bring their tour to town tonight at Irving Plaza. If you’re going, be sure to arrive early to check out gothy and intense Australian Kirin J Callinan . Purple Pilgrims play as well and tickets are still available.
Ariel Pink has probably listened to a few Left Banke albums over the years. The ’60s baroque pop legends, whose songs include classics like “Walk Away Renee” and “Something on My Mind,” play Joe’s Pub tonight and tickets are still available.
The Baptist Generals, who recently released their first album in ten years via Sub Pop, have been on a tour with The Mountain Goats which hit Maxwell’s lat night (6/5), and tonight they’re sticking around the area for their own show at Mercury Lounge with AroarA (tickets).
For those excited about seeing Icona Pop at Governors Ball this weekend, you might want to hit Santos tonight for the official kickoff party (tickets). It features a performance from Swedish electropop group Kate Boy, whose new single “The Way We Are” is likely to soon be inescapable. You can watch the video for that below. Kate Boy also plays with Haim at Brooklyn Bowl on Saturday which is a Governors Ball afterparty (advance tickets are sold out, though some will be available at the door). Kate Boy tour dates are listed below.
As mentioned, Guns N’ Roses, (aka Axl Rose’s current version of the band) are one of the three headliners for this years Governors Ball festival. But before that, they’ll play a much more intimate show tonight at Brooklyn Bowl. The show has not surprisingly sold out.
Tonight’s B-52s show at the Capitol Theatre, which Nicki Bluhm was going to open after cancelling her Brooklyn Bowl show once GNR’s was added, has been postponed due to illness. Read more about that here.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
The xx made a video for “Fiction” off of last year’s Coexist. Check it out below.
Check out our new NYC shows calendar.
The xx – “Fiction” Official Video
Kate Boy – 2013 Tour Dates
June 6 New York, NY Santos Party House
June 8 Brooklyn, NY Brooklyn Bowl*
June 9 Toronto, ON Wrong Bar
June 10 Chicago, IL Schubas Tavern
June 11 Los Angeles, CA Echo
June 13 San Francisco, CA Rickshaw Stop