What’s going on this weekend?
It’s raining here in Norway, and the first band I want to see at Oya today starts in about an hour..to go or not to go….Here’s what’s going on in NYC….
Social Registry’s Gang Gang Dance
* Social Registry is celebrating its 4th Anniversary
* The African Festival is happening in Prospect Park
* A lot of good bands are playing for Universal Healthcare
* Vampire Weekend & others play for free by the East River
* Vampire Weekend & Tokyo Police Club play Maxwell’s
* They Shoot Horses Don’t They play Silent Barn
* Calla, Other Passengers, & Castanets play Studio B
* Ted Leo & The Thermals are playing McCarren Pool
* The Cribs are playing Union Pool
* Junior Senior and others are playing Sound fix
* Zap Mama & Angelique Kidjo are playing Summerstage
* RIP Tony Wilson
I love the annual African Festival in Prospect Park – food and all, and this year’s lineup features the Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars. If it’s not raining in NYC – and if I was there – that’s definitely where I’d try and go today. It’s also the last show in Prospect Park this summer.
The Tony Wilson news is so sad. It was just recently that Tony threw his first “In the City” festival here in NYC – the festival that included two cancelled Happy Mondays gigs. Before that Tony showed up at Coachella to introduce the Mondays there (where they mostly all showed up). David Bruno was at that show, and had the honor of not only meeting Tony, but interviewing him for this very website. Long story short, I haven’t published that interview yet, but absolutely will first thing when i get back from Norway. RIP Tony!