What’s going on Saturday?
ESG–four Scroggins sisters plus various percussionists–formed in the South Bronx in the late ’70s, and went from covering the Stones and Rufus to recording for Tony Wilson’s Factory Records label. The band’s uniquely minimalist funk/post-punk sound soon caught on in clubs and dance palaces like the Paradise Garage. Decades later, songs such as “Moody” and “UFO” still resonate, partly because they’ve been sampled hundreds of times. Alas, ESG, which reformed in the ’90s, has announced its Estrojam show will be its last [they lied].
today in NYC & NJ
* ESG @ Santos
* The Drones @ Pianos
* Midnight Juggernauts @ LPR
* Marissa Nadler for Rooftop Films
* Yeasayer & No Age on a MINI roof
* The Felice Brothers & AA Bondy @ Maxwell’s
* Themselves, Buck 65 & Alias @ Knitting Factory
* Beachwood Sparks & Sera Cahoone @ Bowery Ballroom
* Erykah Badu & Aretha Franklin in Liberty State Park
* Rhys Darby of Flight of the Conchords @ Starland Ballroom
* ? & ? & Krallice & Lightning Bolt & Growing @ a Todd P show
* The A-Bones, The Ettes & The Nouvellas @ Music Hall of Williamsburg