What’s going on Saturday?
Kylesa @ Irving Plaza earlier in May (more by Chris La Putt)
tonight in NYC
* Diane Cluck @ Sycamore
* Forro in the Dark @ SOBs
* Dub Is a Weapon @ Zebulon
* Mountain Jam in Hunter, NY
* I Was A King @ Permanent Records
* The Hood Internet @ The Bell House
* Tortoise, Bird Show @ The Bell House
* Ravens & Chimes, Mia Riddle @ Joe’s Pub
* KRS One, Kool Herc @ Santos Party House
* New York Ukulele Festival @ Baruch College
* Carlos Giffoni/Okkyung Lee @ Issue Project Room
* David Amram @ Brooklyn Conservatory Concert Hall
* Pelle Carlberg, The Drums, Las Palabras @ Union Hall
* X, Steve Soto & The Twisted Hearts @ Bowery Ballroom
* They Might Be Giants, Mixel Pixel @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Secret Chiefs 3, Kayo Dot @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Moderat (Modeselektor + Apparat) @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Black Star, 88 Keys, Black Violin @ Nokia Theatre Times Square
* Kylesa, Stinking Lizaveta, Unearthly Trance, Darsombra @ Cake Shop
* Screaming Females, Shellshag, Pregnant, Mimi & Christian @ Maxwell’s
* Rural Alberta Advantage, I Was A King, Elevator Fight @ Mercury Lounge
* Todd Barry, Eugene Mirman, Matthew Caws (Nada Surf) @ Highline Ballroom
* Roosevelt Live w/ Alex Battles and the Whiskey Rebellion @ Roosevelt Island
* J.A.C.K., Coin Under Tongue, Kill Kill Kill, Plowing Mud Forever @ The Cameo
* Willie Mae-Ra-Thon w/ Pterodactyl, Grass Widow, Taigaa!, Querent @ Bruar Falls
* Earth Crisis, Crown of Thornz, Indecision, Killing Time, Bold, many more @ Studio B
* Little Wings with Kath Bloom, Bow Ribbons, Little Gold, Stallion Juice @ Monster Island
Tickets are on sale for some special Steely Dan shows at the Beacon Theater.
Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Walter Becker and Donald Fagen have announced that STEELY DAN will bring their 2009 U.S. Tour to the Beacon Theatre for four nights of special setlist engagements.
The first three performances will be “Classic Album (Plus)” Nights where three landmark albums will be performed in their entirety along with selected additional favorites each night.
July 28 – Aja
July 29 – Gaucho
July 31 – The Royal Scam
The fourth night is an Internet Request Night where the setlist will be determined by internet votes from ticket-holders for the show.
August 1 – “Takin’ It to the Seats”
Tickets are also now on sale for a similar type of Cult show at Terminal 5.
Mos Def and Talib Kweli perform as Black Star tonight for two sets at the Nokia Theatre Times Square.
Amanda Palmer & Neil Gaiman, who have a show coming up together at Housing Works, are performing a very short set together tonight at the Highline Ballroom show.
WAVVES freaked out.
There’s an afternoon BBQ at Monster Island today, which segues into “the final Animal Train party ever at Glasslands.”
4PM TO 10PM
ALL DAY MUSICAL BBQ
Paul Metzger, Elaine Evans, Colin Langenus and Marc Orleans, Perfect Weiners and Butts, Amen Dunes, Kyle Swick, Chef Kyle Hepp
THEN AT GLASSLANDS
10PM TO 4AM
DJ jon spencer, DJ Jonathon Toubin, GoGO dancing, Preacher and the Knife, Try Cry Try, Secret Project Robot A/V, Live With Animals Circus Set
New York composer/multi-instumentatlist/raconteur/institution David Amram plays tonight and Sunday at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music Concert Hall. Part of tonight’s program celebrates Amram’s ties to Jack Kerouac (which include appearing in and scoring the ’59 Beat film Pull My Daisy) with “Readings from On the Road: John Ventimigilia of “the Sopranos” reading the poetry of Jack Kerouac with Amram’s music.” Pull My Daisy, and Amram discussing the film, below…
Frank Robert – Pull My Daisy 1959David Amram – Kerouac’s Pull My Daisy (pt. 1) the making of and excerpts