What’s going on Friday?
Dead Weather @ Home Sweet Home (more by Ryan Muir)
tonight in NYC
* Cheveu @ Silent Barn
* Paul McCartney @ Citi Field
* Metropolitan Opera @ Crotona Park
* Abe Vigoda, Grooms @ Whitney Museum
* New York Philharmonic @ Central Park
* Gabriel Kahane @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Cinema 16 w/ Nathan Whipple @ Starr Space
* Superchunk, Versus @ South Street Seaport
* Christina Courtin, Aerial East @ 92YTribeca
* Died Young, Stayed Pretty (film) @ IFC Center
* Grand Duchy, The Bunnies, Demander @ Maxwell’s
* Frightened Rabbit, Oxford Collapse @ Maxwell’s
* C. Spencer Yeh, John Wiese @ Issue Project Room
* The Dead Weather, Screaming Females @ Terminal 5
* Mannequin Men, Davila 666, The Back CC’s @ Southpaw
* Andrew D’Angelo’s Gay Disco Trio @ Cornelia St. Cafe
* Freedom Party NYC w/ Little Dragon @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Savoir Adore, Acrylics, Love Like Deloreans @ The Cameo
* Midsummer Night Swing w/ Ponderosa Stomp @ Lincoln Center
* Metal Mountains, Son of Earth, Spectre Folk @ Market Hotel
* LA Riots, Wolfgang Gartiner, Nick Catchdubs @ Webster Hall
* The End (film), Midnight Masses @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Abe Vigoda, Talbot Tagora, Dinowalrus, Men & Women @ Cake Shop
* Kurt Vile & the Violators, Blues Control, Coconuts @ Bruar Falls
* JEFF the Brotherhood, and many other bands @ Dead Herring
* Celebrate Brooklyn w/ Robert Cray, The Sweet Divines @ Prospect Park
* Eyes of Noctum, Malkuth, Shot Heard Around The World @ Studio at Webster Hall
* Died Young, Stayed Pretty after-party w/ BM Linx, Hypernova @ 92YTribeca
* The Spinto Band, Big Band TV, And The Moneynotes, The Swims @ Mercury Lounge
* JEFF the Brotherhood, Narwhalz of Sound, Michael Jordan, others @ Death By Audio
* Cherie Lily, Tatisha Busay, Bad Brilliance, House of Ladosha, DJ Andrew WK @ Santos
Free outdoor music tonight includes a Celebrate Brooklyn show with Robert Cray and The Sweet Divines at Prospect Park, Metropolitan Opera in the Bronx’s Crotona Park and Superchunk and Versus at South Street Seaport.
Two bands from Siren Fest, one of several free-music events this weekend, play Maxwell’s tonight. Frightened Rabbit and Oxford Collapse (in their second to last show) play an early. Frank Black‘s Grand Duchy headline the late show.
Abe Vigoda and Grooms play the Whitney Museum’s Dan Graham series tonight. Abe Vigoda are on tour with Talbot Tagora. They’ll both appear at Cake Shop later the same night, and
Monster Island Market Hotel tomorrow.
The Dead Weather play their second and last night at Terminal 5 with Screaming Females. They are also on Jimmy Fallon tonight.
It’s the second night of the Ponderosa Stomp at the Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Night Swing. Tonight they host a rockabilly-themed lineup.
Movies tonight include the NY premiere of rock-poster doc Died Young, Stayed Pretty at IFC Center (with an afterparty at 92YTribeca), a screening of The End at MHOW with a set by Midnight Masses, and Cinema 16, which brings “experimental dixieland piano player” Nathan Whipple to accompany a lineup of silent films at the Starr Space.
The Mannequin Men/Davila 666 tour visits Southpaw with The Back CC’s opening.
Freedom Party NYC features Little Dragon at (Le) Poisson Rouge tonight. Or catch Little Dragon tomorrow with Q-Tip for free in Central Park.
Passion Pit has a new video. Watch it below…
Grizzly Bear – “Ready, Able” on Letterman 7/16
Red Eye: Andrew WK is questioned.
Passion Pit | To Kingdom Come