What’s going on Saturday?
Siren Fest 2008 @ Coney Island (more by Bao Nguyen)
tonight in NYC
* Paul McCartney @ Citi Field
* Gary Lucas @ The Living Room
* Siren Festival @ Coney Island
* Ween @ Stone Pony Summerstage (NJ)
* Vans Warped Tour @ Nassau Coliseum
* Cheveu, Xeno & Oaklander & more @ PS1
* Semi Precious Weapons @ Tribeca Grand Hotel
* Dance Live w/ Nation Beat @ Roosevelt Island
* Narwhalz of Sound, Romo Roto, more @ Shea Stadium
* Lymbyc System, The Cush, Wires Under Tension @ Union Hall
* New York Philharmonic @ Staten Island Center for the Arts
* the Nelson Mandela concert w/ Stevie Wonder @ Radio City
* Midsummer Night Swing w/ New Swing Sextet @ Lincoln Center
* Dysrhythmia, The Phantom Family Halo, La Otracina @ Union Pool
* The Very Best, Dragons of Zynth, Que Bajo?! @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Pete And J, Greg Laswell, Elizabeth & The Catapult @ Bowery Ballroom
* Silk Flowers, Cold Cave, City Center, Further Reductions @ Cake Shop
* The Datsuns, Turbo Fruits, Blood Street, True Lovers @ Mercury Lounge
* Q-Tip, Chester French, Little Dragon, Benji B @ Central Park Summerstage
* Uzuhi, The Press, Peelander Z, The Baby Shakes, Banzai @ Santos Party House
* Mark Eitzel performs American Music Club, Bird of Youth @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Francis and the Lights, Acrylics, Gordon Voidwell @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Oxford Collapse, CaUSE co-MOTION!, The Beets, Rape Excape @ Collective Hardware
* Celebrate Brooklyn African Festival w/ King Sunny Ade @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* So So Glos, Abe Vigoda, Future Islands, Beach Fossils, Talbot Tagora @ Market Hotel
* Nellie McKay, Jesus H Christ & The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Life in a Blender @ 92YTribeca
Free music includes New York Philharmonic at Staten Island Center for the Arts,Dance Live with Nation Beat on Roosevelt Island, Celebrate Brooklyn African Festival with King Sunny Ade at Prospect Park Bandshell, and Q-Tip, Chester French, Little Dragon and Benji B at Central Park Summerstage.
The Very Best and Dragons of Zynth play (Le) Poisson Rouge. We wouldn’t be surprised of Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend showed up to sing a song or two.
Oxford Collapse play their final show ever with CaUSE co-MOTION!, The Beets and [The Great] Excape at Collective Hardware.
Silk Flowers, Cold Cave, City Center and Further Reductions perform at the Cake Shop
Weird Al Yankovic sings “Don’t Download This Song” (Weird Al also says don’t embed this video…).
While Monotonix play Siren, their tourmates in Turbo Fruits perform at the Mercuy Lounge with The Datsuns, Blood Street and True Lovers.
Ween play the Stone Pony Summerstage in New Jersey.
For tonight’s Abe Vigoda show, the updated lineup consists of Future Islands, Beach Fossils, Talbot Tagora and The So So Glos. And it’s been moved to the Market Hotel.
Nellie McKay, currently writing a musical based on Election, plays 92YTribeca.
Tonight’s Mandela concert @ Radio City Music Hall was originally scheduled for MSG. The lineup includes Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Whoopi Goldberg, Gloria Gaynor, Will.I.Am, Dave Stewart, Angelique Kidjo, Jesse McCartney, Josh Groban, Wyclef Jean, Queen Latifah, and Baaba Maal.
Lee Scratch Perry plays Central Park Summerstage on Sunday.
Mark Eitzel performs his American Music Club material at(Le) Poisson Rouge – one of a few NYC shows he has scheduled.
The official Siren Fest afterparty is at MHOW and features Francis and the Lights, Acrylics and Gordon Voidwell.
“On Saturday, July 18, from 11am – 4pm, The Drawing Center and the River To River Festival will present The Big Draw, the fourth annual day-long celebration of drawing inspired by the wildly popular United Kingdom program of the same name. Bringing together artists and the local community, The Big Draw is a unique opportunity for people of all ages to join in hands-on artist-led projects that are guaranteed to change the way they think about drawing. Audiences will be encouraged to pick up a free sketchbook and express their creativity through inventive, site-specific projects at three Lower Manhattan venues. MORE INFO”
Stream the Pitchfork Fest.
Walter Cronkite, RIP
Lovvers played Cake Shop the other night. Video from that show below…