What’s going on Wednesday?
Bat for Lashes
tonight in NYC
* Raekwon @ Mahoney Park
* Baye Kouyate @ Joe’s Pub
* Steely Dan @ Beacon Theatre
* Antifolk Festival @ Sidewalk Cafe
* Black Moon, Smif N Wessun @ Brower Park
* Bat for Lashes, Other Lives @ Webster Hall
* Hull, Giant Squid, Grayceon, Bezoar @ Union Pool
* Bonnie Rait, Taj Mahal @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Royal Bangs, The xx, Katy Gunn, City Riots @ Pianos
* The Starlight Mints, Wye Oak, JP Inc. @ Bowery Ballroom
* No Mas Bodas, Miho Hatori, Archibald Adams @ Monkey Town
* Cartright, Your 33 Black Angels, Soft Black @ Bruar Falls
* Friendly Fires, Phenomenal Handclap Band @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Freestyle Music Series w/ James Chance, Elliot Sharp 3 @ Local 269
* Less the Band, The Little Death (NYC), TV Torso, Linfinity @ Mercury Lounge
* Out of Doors Fest w/ Brooklyn QawWali Party, Susheela Raman @ Damrosch Park
* Shai Hulud, Reign Supreme, The Carrier, Capital, Advent @ Santos Party House
* Blue Album Group, Small Black & Eternal Sunshine (film) @ McCarren Park
* Woodstock party w/ Jefferson Starship, Canned Heat, Ten Years After, Big Brother & the Holding Company @ Nokia Theatre
Tonight’s free outdoor music includes two great hip-hop shows: Raekwon, whose Only Built For Cuban Linx II comes out next month, plays Mahoney Park, and Black Moon and Smif N Wessun perform all of their classic Enta da Stage and Dah Shinin’ LPs (respectively) at Brower Park. McCarren Park SummerScreen hosts a free showing of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with music from Weezer cover band Blue Album Group and Small Black. The Lincoln Center Out of Doors Fest presents Brooklyn QawWali Party and Susheela Raman at Damrosch Park.
The xx‘s last warm-up before their Seaport gig on Friday comes tonight at Pianos with Royal Bangs, Katy Gunn and City Riots.
Tori Amos plays Radio City tomorrow.
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ old friend TV on the Radio played Prospect Park last night.
Steven Tyler from Aerosmith is still out of comission.
Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal, in what they call the ‘BonTaj Roulet’ tour, play Prospect Park Bandshell. Last night they hit Jersey.
The Sidewalk Cafe’s Antifolk Festival continues with Dots Will Echo, The Relatives and others.
“Serious brush with law for Cameron Douglas’ girlfriend – arrested for smuggling heroin in toothbrush”
The Starlight Mints and JP Inc (formerly Pleaseeasaur) play a Bowery Ballroom show with Wye Oak, who return to the venue on their tour with Blitzen Trapper this fall.
Freestyle Music Series, soon to be a weekly occurance, brings James Chance, Elliot Sharp 3, Fire of Love featuring Bobby Radcliff, and The Howling Magic Waters with Felice Rosser to Local 269 tonight.
“The host of a television crime show in Brazil is under investigation for allegedly ordering killings to boost the popularity of his show. Wallace Souza is a state lawmaker who hosted Canal Livre which aired in Manaus, in a remote Amazon region. Police say he is suspected of trafficking in drugs and commissioning at least five murders aimed at simultaneously boosting his show’s ratings and killing off his competition in the drug trade.” [Voice of America]
Yo La Tengo‘s video “Avalon Or Someone Very Similar” is posted below.
Yo La Tengo – “Avalon Or Someone Very Similar”