What’s going on Monday?
Black Cobra @ The Charleston on November 18th (more by Chloe Rice)
tonight in NYC
* Hannibul Buress @ Pianos
* Whiplash @ UCB Theatre
* Darmstadt: In C @ Galapagos
* Sloan, Magenta Lane @ Maxwell’s
* Rev. Vince Anderson @ Union Pool
* Diane Birch, Jaymay @ City Winery
* Nar, War Cubs, Hank & Cupcakes @ Zebulon
* Les Paul Guitar Tribute w/ Mike Stern @ Iridium
* Antibalas @ Winter’s Eve Festival at Lincoln Square
* Father Figures, Jason Anderson, Partyface @ Cake Shop
* Pelican, Black Cobra, Disappearer @ Highline Ballroom
* Brian Setzer Orchestra, Imeida May @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* John Hollenbeck plays Hollenbeck + Meredith Monk @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Kidrockers w/ Right on Dynamite @ Winter’s Eve Festival at Lincoln Square
* The Gay Blades, Fake Problems, The Weight, Gabriel The Marine @ Mercury Lounge
* Small Beast w/ Bee & Flower, And the Wireman, Paul Wallfisch, Pharmacy and Gardens @ The Delancey
Hopefully you had a good Thanksgiving weekend. This week is kind of slow (or maybe not), but there’s still plenty to see.
The Pelican show happening at Highline Ballroom tonight was originally scheduled to take place on December 2nd.
Jaymay pops out of hiding to open a show for Diane Birch at City Winery tonight.
Antibalas also have other shows coming up and can be caught multiple nights a week in Fela! on Broadway
Opening at Cake Shop tonight will be Partyface, a guitar duo made up of Indigo Street and musical Shahzad Ismaily, the latter of which has collaborated recently with musicians from Doveman to Yoko Ono to Marc Ribot.
Percussionist John Hollenbeck will play with three diverse groups (a big band and two small ensembles) at (Le) Poisson Rouge to showcase his own compositions and those of Meredith Monk. Video is below.
Janeane Garofalo, Reggie Watts, Chris Gethard & Bob Powers are part of the free lineup of comedy at UCB tonight. It’s the weekly 11pm Whiplash show. For free comedy much earlier in the evening, check out Pianos.
Reggie Watts returns to UCB on December 17th as part of Stripped Stories.
The NY Times recently saw Seth Meyers at UCB.
Singer Susan Boyle‘s new album makes UK chart history.
A video of Kria Brekkan working the accordion at Glasslands on Saturday (11/28) is below.
Some mean people superglued iPhones to sidewalks and videotaped people trying to pick them up. Video below…
Kría Brekkan | NYC @ Glasslands | 28 Nov 2009
“A Blessing” John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble @ IAJE 2007
Black Room Session: John Hollenbeck – In Session