What’s going on Sunday? (besides the Oscars)
Eugene Mirman @ Bell House earlier this month (more by Ryan Muir)
tonight in NYC
* The Beets @ Ace Hotel
* Sourvein, Ramps @ Charleston
* Summer Cats, Onward Chariots @ Bruar Falls
* Xenia Rubinos, Arrington De Dionyso @ Pianos
* Hans Chew, Soft Black, Zachary Cale @ Union Pool
* Kidrockers w/ Beach Fossils, Bottle Up & Go @ Living Room
* Data Dog, Dearling Physique, Eric Lindley @ The Cameo
* RJD2, Break Science, Happy Chichester @ Highline Ballroom
* Title Tracks, Pretty & Nice, Gold Drum, Mussels @ Cake Shop
* Care Bears On Fire, Tangents, Jack Skuller @ (early) Cake Shop
* Awesome Color, Tyvek, Talk Normal, CSC Funk Band @ Market Hotel
* Little Women, Ryan Power, Buke and Gass, Sam Mickens @ Death By Audio
* Jason Anderson, White Pines, Matt Jones, The Long Eye @ Public Assembly
* Tearing the Veil of Maya w/ Eugene Mirman & Michael Showalter @ Union Hill
* Washed Out, Small Black, Pictureplane, Oneohtrix Point Never @ Mercury Lounge
Washed Out and Small Black play two nights in a row at Mercury Lounge together.
Awesome Color and Tyvek‘s tour together (which includes SXSW) comes to Market Hotel for a show with Talk Normal (who’ll be at SXSW too) and CSC Funk Band. Talk Normal goes on tour with Xiu Xiu and Tune-Yards after that.
Little Women are a twisted, beyond-energetic jazz quartet that’s putting their first full-length, Throat, out April 13th on Aum Fidelity. (((unartig))) recently put together a video retrospective on the group. They play Death By Audio tonight with Ryan Power, Buke and Gass and Sam Mickens.
“The sound awards usually go to the loudest movies, which mean “Avatar” or “The Hurt Locker” this year. “Avatar” may have the edge because this category favors blockbusters like past winners “The Dark Knight” and “King Kong.” But I’m betting on “Hurt Locker” here for two reasons. There’s a lot of love for this film and voters will want to spread it around. Secondly, it probably strikes voters as the loudest film because it’s about bombs going off (or not going off). Recent winner in this category was another war movie up for best picture, “Letters From Iwo Jima.”” [LA Times]
RJD2 hits Highline Ballroom tonight. While in Philly he was interviewed by Joe Walker of Breakfast at Sulimay’s. Check that out below…
RJD2 interview with Joe Walker