A Place to Bury Strangers share new video, and list the “10 Best Things That Ended in NYC in 2014″
intro by Bill Pearis
APTBS @ final DbA show (more by PSquared)
We've been asking all manner of music-related folks for 2014 Top 10 lists. Most have championed things that are awesome and here's one that does that too, but in a bittersweet way. A Place to Bury Strangers frontman Oliver Ackermann was one of the people behind Death by Audio, both the DIY showspace that closed last month and the effects pedal company that has now relocated. Fittingly his list is titled "10 Best Things That Ended in NYC in 2014." You can check that out below.
In non-ending APTBS news, they will release their new album Transfixiation on February 17 via Dead Oceans. It's messier and more experimental than we've heard them do before and is all the better for it. The LP also has its share of rippers as well, like the bass-driven first single "Straight." Since we last posted, the band have released a video for that, directed by Brook Linder. It's a headtrip of spooky imagery and VHS tape distortion. You can check that out below too.
A Place to Bury Strangers will celebrate their new record on Transfixiation's release date (2/17) at Music Hall of Williamsburg with Grooms, whose new album is also out that day. Tickets are still available. Updated tour dates are listed with all the other stuff mentioned here, below...
Oliver Ackerman of APTBS' 10 best things that ended in NYC in 2014
1. Verb Cafe - This place was the lower east side vibed coffee place in willisburg with killer bagels and really intense coffee and better than dunkinbuck.
2. Kings Pharmacy - Move out the way for duane reade and drug world and cvs and right aid and publix. There was a dj trapped in a caved in stock room still spinning records since 1987.
3. Goodbye Blue Monday - I guess the name was a little too fitting on some of these places. Saw some good shows here and there was the right thing going on here.
4. Death by Audio - Can't say the pain and agony is gone yet. This was a hell of a lot of inspiration for me wrapped up in a bullet. I guess that will keep me going just thinking of what the heck that means. I still miss you closest friend.
5. Roseland Ballroom - Not a usual hang but i guess lack of support is one of the things that have make things fall. Gwar was a special memory there for me.
6. 285 Kent - Dang the easy places I could walk to and see shows on a freezing winter night are done. Glasslands can make it on this list at midnight on the 31st unless the dj plays one more song....
7. The ho_se - The hurdles of this good stuff disappearing better lead way to some more fucked up party zones.
8. The Dreebs - This band was the greatest band of all time. If you got a chance to see this band whowA what an experience.
9. The Colbert Report - And where are we gonna turn to to watch some free comedy political national tv?
10. Christo Buffam - This guy was part of my NY. For other people it is other people. It is a shame we have to wait until things are over to regret all of the things we would have liked to have done. Go and call up that friend. Get out of the house and go see that band you like. Life is quick.
A PLACE TO BURY STRANGERS - 2014 TOUR DATES
Tue. Feb. 17 - Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Wed. Feb. 18 - Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts : Black Box
Thu. Feb. 19 - Baltimore, MD @ Metro Gallery
Fri. Feb. 20 - Washington, DC @ Rock N' Roll Hotel
Sat. Feb. 21 - Asheville, NC @ New Mountain Theatre
Sun. Feb. 22 - Atlanta, GA @ The Earl
Mon. Feb. 23 - Nashville, TN @ The End
Wed. Feb. 25 - New Orleans, LA @ Gasa Gasa
Thur. Feb. 26 - Houston, TX @ Fitzgerald's Downstairs
Fri. Feb. 27 - Dallas, TX @ Club Dada
Sat. Feb. 28 - Austin, TX @ Red 7
Wed. Mar. 4 - Oklahoma City, OH @ The Conservatory
Fri. Mar. 6 - Albuquerque, NM @ Sister Bar
Sat. Mar. 7 - El Paso, TX @ Lowbrow Palace
Mon. Mar. 9 - Tuscon, AZ @ Club Congress
Tue. Mar. 10 - Phoenix, AZ @ Valley Bar
Wed. Mar. 11 - San Diego, CA @ Casbah
Thu. Mar. 12 - Las Vegas, NV @ Beauty Bar
Fri. Mar. 13 - Santa Cruz, CA @ The Catalyst Atrium
Sat. Mar. 14 - San Francisco, CA @ The Chapel
Sun. Mar. 15 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
Tue. Mar. 17 - Portland, OR @ Star Theater
Wed. Mar. 18 - Seattle, WA @ Crocodile
Tue. March 31 - Dublin, IE @ The Workmans Club
Wed. April 1 - Belfast, IE @ Voodoo
Thu. April 2 - Glasgow, UK @ King Tut's Wah Wah Hut
Fri. April 3 - Leeds, UK @ Belgrave Music Hall
Sun. April 5 - Manchester, UK @ Sound Control Basement
Mon. April 6 - Nottingham, UK @ The Bodega Social Club
Tue. April 7 - Birmingham, UK @ The Rainbow
Wed. April 8 - Cardiff, UK @ Clwb lfor Bach
Thu. April 9 - London, UK @ Oslo
Sat. April 11 - Lille, FR @ La Peniche
Sun. April 12 - Ris-Orangis, FR @ Le Plan
Mon. April 13 - Paris, FR @ Le Divan du Monde
Tue. April 14 - Lyon, FR @ Le Marche Gare
Thu. April 16 - Zurich, CH @ Viadukt - Bogen F
Fri. April 17 - Bologna, IT @ Locomotiv
Sat. April 18 - Düdingen, CH @ Cafe Bad Bonn
Sun. April 19 - Munich, DE @ Strom
Tue. April 21 - Berlin, DE @ Lido
Wed. April 22 - Cologne, DE @ Underground
Thu. April 23 - Courtrai, BE @ De Kreun
Fri. April 24 - Amsterdam, NL @ Melkweg
Sat. April 25 - Groningen, NL @ Vera
Mon. April 27 - Hamburg, DE @ Hafenklang
Tue. April 28 - Copenhagen DK @ BETA
Wed. April 29 - Malmo, SE @ Babel
Thu. April 30 - Gothenburg, SE @ Pustervik
Fri. May 1 - Stockholm, SE @ Debaser Strand
Sat. May 2 - Oslo, NO @ John Dee
Fri. May 8-Sun. May 10 - Austin, TX @ Austin Psych Fest