Keeping up with the comedy scene is no easy feat. While indie-friendly comedians play places like The Bell House, Union Hall, Littlefield and UCB, there are also NYC's many comedy clubs where big names regularly play...sometimes on the schedule, and sometimes as a surprise. One of the most famous (in part because of Louis CK's television series Louie) is Village club Comedy Cellar on MacDougal St, which usually has a pretty stacked lineup of announced comedians (and is pretty famous for incredible "drop-ins"). Tonight (11/10), Mike Birbiglia, who can sell out venues like BAM, is part of the 7 PM lineup, and he is also on the Saturday (10/11) lineups for the 7 PM and 8:45 PM shows.
Some other highlights at Comedy Cellar (which includes sister bar Fat Black Pussycat, The Moroccan Lounge and shows at the Village Underground) over the next week:
- Michelle Wolf, of The Daily Show and Late Night with Seth Meyers, performs on Sunday (11/12), Monday (11/13, multiple times), Tuesday (11/14), Wednesday (11/15), and Thursday (11/16)
- Todd Barry is on Sunday, and part of a particularly stacked Wednesday 11:30 PM lineup that includes Chris Gethard, Liza Treyger, Ari Shaffir, and more.
- Chris Gethard also performs on Tuesday (multiple times)
- Ari Shaffir also performs on Sunday (a special "his new hour in progress" set) and Thursday and other days
- Judah Friedlander of 30 Rock is on Monday (w/ Michelle Wolf), Tuesday and Thursday (w/ Michelle Wolf)
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: On Tuesday at 8:30 PM there is what looks like a secret scheduled guest going by the name "Anita Dick" who is "working out jokes for a special." Any guesses?
Check Comedy Cellar's website for full schedule and reservations. Want more comedy? The NY Comedy Festival is underway right now, the Brooklyn Podcast Festival starts next week (Todd Barry and Judah Friendlander included), and you can check out BV's Comedy listings for more laughs.