Bob Dylan on tour, joined by Jeff Tweedy & Jim James (watch), covered by Justin Vernon & The Blind Boys of Alabama (listen)
Justin Vernon w/ Bon Iver in Austin in 2011 (more by Tim Griffin)
Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, who recently collaborated with Kanye West, and is also about release a new Volcano Choir album (aka his collaborative project with experimental rockers Collections of Colonies of Bees), is also working on a project with gospel group The Blind Boys of Alabama, who have been around since the 1930s. Earlier this year, he announced he'd be producing their new album, I'll Find A Way (due out 10/1 via Sony Masterworks), and it's since been revealed that he's contributing his vocals to a cover of Bob Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand" for the album. You can listen to that track now over at Pitchfork, and check out the full tracklist (which also includes collaborations with My Brightest Diamond, Sam Amidon, tUnE-yArDs, and more) below.
Speaking of Bob Dylan, his tour comes to the NYC-area for its first of five shows this week. The first show was initially supposed to happen in Bridgeport, CT on Friday (7/19) at The Ballpark at Harbor Yard with My Morning Jacket and Wilco, but that show has been moved to Bridgeport's Webster Bank Arena, and
MMJ and Wilco are no longer on the bill. UPDATE: MMJ and Wilco are still playing. Tickets for the Webster Bank Arena show are available, and all tickets purchased for the Ballpark at Harbor Yard show will be honored.
Jim James at Firefly Fest 2013 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
The other NYC-area shows will go on as planned on 7/21 at Saratoga Performing Arts Center with My Morning Jacket and Wilco (tickets), 7/26 at Hoboken's Pier A Park with MMJ and Wilco (tickets), 7/27 at Jones Beach with Beck and Wilco (tickets), and 7/28 at Susquehanna Bank Center with MMJ and Wilco, which is also part of the 3-day XPoNential Music Festival in Camden (Bob Dylan tix, XPoNential Fest passes).
Dylan, Wilco and MMJ kicked off the tour towards the end of last month, and at their recent Toronto show (7/15), Wilco's Jeff Tweedy and MMJ's Jim James joined Dylan on stage for a cover of traditional song "Twelve Gates to the City" and for Dylan's own "Blowin' in the Wind." You can watch a video of the former (via Consequence of Sound), along with the setlist from that show, below.
Bob Dylan also just announced that he'll release Bootleg Series. Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (1969-1971), a box set that collects rarities and outtakes from the Self Portrait and New Morning era, on August 27. The trailer video and tracklist for the box set are below.
Updated dates are listed, along with all videos and stuff, below...
Bob Dylan, Jeff Tweedy & Jim James - "Twelve Gates to the City" in Toronto - 7/15/13
Bob Dylan at Toronto's Molson Amphitheatre - 7/15/13 Setlist: (via)
Things Have Changed
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Soon after Midnight
Early Roman Kings
Tangled Up in Blue
She Belongs to Me
Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Blind Willie McTell
Simple Twist of Fate
Twelve Gates To The City (with Jim James and Jeff Tweedy)
All Along the Watchtower
Blowin' in the Wind (with Jeff Tweedy and Jim James)
Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Vol. 10 Another Self Portrait (1969 - 1971) Trailer
1. "Went to See the Gypsy" (demo)
2 "In Search of Little Sadie" (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
3. "Pretty Saro" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
4. "Alberta #3" (alternate version, Self Portrait)
5. "Spanish Is the Loving Tongue" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
6. "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
7. "Time Passes Slowly #1" (alternate version, New Morning)
8. "Only a Hobo" (unreleased, Greatest Hits II)
9. "Minstrel Boy" (unreleased, The Basement Tapes)
10. "I Threw It All Away" (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
11. "Railroad Bill" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
12. "Thirsty Boots" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. "This Evening So Soon" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
14. "These Hands" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
15. "Little Sadie" (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
16. "House Carpenter" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
17. "All the Tired Horses" (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
1. "If Not For You" (alternate version, New Morning)
2. "Wallflower" (alternate version, 1971)
3. "Wigwam" (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
4. "Days of '49" (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
5. "Working on a Guru" (unreleased, New Morning)
6. "Country Pie" (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
7. "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
8. "Highway 61 Revisited" (Live With the Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
9. "Copper Kettle" (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
10. "Bring Me a Little Water" (unreleased, New Morning)
11. "Sign on the Window" (with orchestral overdubs, New Morning)
12. "Tattle O'Day" (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13. "If Dogs Run Free" (alternate version, New Morning)
14. "New Morning" (with horn section overdubs, New Morning)
15. "Went to See the Gypsy" (alternate version, New Morning)
16. "Belle Isle" (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
17. "Time Passes Slowly #2" (alternate version, New Morning)
18. "When I Paint My Masterpiece" (demo)
Bob Dylan & the Band at Isle of Wight - August 31st, 1969
1. "She Belongs to Me"
2. "I Threw It All Away"
3. "Maggie's Farm"
4. "Wild Mountain Thyme"
5. "It Ain't Me, Babe"
6. "To Ramona"/"Mr. Tambourine Man"
7. "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine"
8. "Lay Lady Lay"
9. "Highway 61 Revisited"
10. "One Too Many Mornings"
11. "I Pity the Poor Immigrant"
12. "Like a Rolling Stone"
13. "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"
14. "Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)"
15. "Minstrel Boy"
16. "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"
The Blind Boys of Alabama - I'll Find A Way Tracklist:
01 God Put a Rainbow in the Cloud
02 I'll Find a Way (to Carry It All) [ft. Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond]
03 I Am Not Waiting Anymore [ft. Sam Amidon]
04 I Shall Not Be Moved
05 Take Me to the Water
06 I've Been Searching [ft. Merrill Garbus of tUnE-yArDs]
07 There Will Never be Any Peace (Until God Is Seated at the Conference Table) [ft. Casey Dienel of White Hinterland]
08 Take Your Burden to the Lord and Leave It There
09 Every Grain of Sand [ft. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver]
10 My God Is Real
11 Jubilee [ft. Patty Griffin]
Bob Dylan -- 2013 Tour Dates
07/18 Darien Center, NY Darien Lake Performing Arts Center *^ #
07/19 Bridgeport, CT Webster Bank Arena *^ #
07/20 Mansfield, MA Comcast Center *^ #
07/21 Saratoga Springs, NY Saratoga PAC *^
07/23 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion *^ #
07/24 Virginia Beach, VA Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach *^ #
07/26 Hoboken, NJ Pier A Park *^ #
07/27 Wantagh, NY Nikon at Jones Beach Theater * % #
07/28 Camden, NJ Susquehanna Bank Center *^ #
07/31 Denver, CO, Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre *^ #
08/01 Salt Lake City, UT USANA Amphitheatre *^ #
08/03 Irvine, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre *^ #
08/04 Mountain View, CA Shoreline Amphitheatre *^ #
* - w/ Wilco
^ - w/ My Morning Jacket
% - w/ Beck
# - w/ Ryan Bingham