Coachella & Stagecoach 2020 officially cancelled by health officials
On Tuesday (6/9), it was reported that Goldenvoice officials told Billboard that Coachella would not be taking place in October -- which it had been initially postponed to -- and that the organizers are still trying to decide if the festival would make a limited-capacity return in April 2021 or wait for a higher-capacity return in October 2021.
Coachella still hasn't issued their own official announcement, but now comes news that the festival -- along with Stagecoach, which had also been rescheduled from April to October -- has been officially cancelled by Riverside County health officials. The Los Angeles Times reports that Riverside County public health officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser said, "I am concerned as indications grow that COVID-19 could worsen in the fall. In addition, events like Coachella and Stagecoach would fall under Governor Newsom’s Stage 4, which he has previously stated would require treatments or a vaccine to enter. Given the projected circumstances and potential, I would not be comfortable moving forward. These decisions are not taken lightly with the knowledge that many people will be impacted. My first priority is the health of the community."
Coachella took first place in 1999, and after no event in 2000, it has happened every year since 2001 until now. The 2020 lineup was to have featured Rage Against the Machine, Frank Ocean, Travis Scott, Lana Del Rey, Run the Jewels, Thom Yorke, and more.
For more Coachella in the meantime, you can watch the 20 Years in the Desert documentary for free on YouTube and see plenty of accompanying live footage. You can also watch Beyonce's full Coachella performance on Netflix, and we recently posted videos of some iconic Coachella performances.
Billboard also reported that Goldenvoice's parent company AEG had to lay off 15% of its workforce, and had to institute 20-50% pay cuts.