comedian Julie Klausner tells us “20 of her favorite cultural antidotes to this horror parade of a year”
For nearly a decade, Julie Klausner has been one of my favorite figures in the NYC comedy scene, and not just because the prefix of her last name rules so hard. A truly versatile comedian, writer, podcaster, and actress, Julie became a fixture on the Klaus Kinski comedy radar many moons ago when her live show, "Obsessed with Julie and Jackie (Clarke)", brought a consistently unbelievable roster of comedic talent to the intimate confines of places like Mo Pitkins (RIP) and the UCB Theater. For a mere $5 or $6, one not only thrilled to the talents of Julie and Jackie, but attendees at any given "Obsessed" could thrill to the likes of comedic greats including Todd Barry, Janeane Garofalo, John Mulaney, David Cross, Tom Scharpling, and so many more. It was an amazing time to be alive. Her podcast "How Was Your Week" has not only brought boat loads of amazing content to the cyber-airwaves, but it also brought amazing live experiences to places like The Bell House where she's done plenty of live podcast tapings. Currently, Julie writes and co-stars with Billy Eichner in the incredible Hulu sitcom Difficult People, which is a festival of awkward situations, bitterness, and dysfunctional relationships that absolutely shines and often makes me wince.We asked Julie to give us a Top 10 of 2016 list, and she not only kindly obliged but she doubled it. Thanks Julie! Take it away!
I’m sorry- ten is too limiting. Here are 20 of my favorite cultural antidotes to this horror parade of a year.
1. The American Psycho Musical
2. Baskets on FX
3. Tom Scharpling’s Election Night episode of The Best Show (LISTEN!)
4. Hail Ceasar!
5. Oh, Hello on Broadway
6. The Night Of on HBO
7. OJ: Made in America on ESPN
8. The Episode of Fresh Air where Terry Gross interviews Cat Behaviorist Sarah Ellis (LISTEN!)
9. Insecure on HBO
10. RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars on LOGO
11. Lady Gaga’s Joanne
12. Weiner (The documentary, not the Todd Solondz movie)
13 . American Heiress by Jeffrey Toobin
14. Gucci’s Resort 2017 collection
15. Valentino’s Fall 2016 couture collection
16. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee on TBS
17. The “Far East Movement, Our Favorite Band" Episode of Hollywood Handbook
18. Mary Houlihan’s videos on Seriously.TV
19. Patton Oswalt’s set at the NY Comedy Festival
20. Ali Wong's Baby Cobra special'