Dev Hynes, Connan Mockasin, Iceage, Grouper & more appearing at Mexican Summer’s New Myths fest in Marfa, TX
The Mexican Summer label is curating a cultural festival New Myths (not to be confused with the Brooklyn band of that name), which will happen March 13 - 15 in Marfa, Texas. There will be art, film and of course music, featuring artists on Mexican Summer and their electronic label, Software, as well as some acts they just like. The lineup includes Iceage, Grouper, Tamaryn, Steve Gunn, Weyes Blood, GABI, Thug Entrancer, Co La, Bitchin' Bajas, Suicideyear and more. There will also be a "recording residency" with Dev Hynes and Connan Mockasin, and musician Jefre Cantu-Ledesma will be presenting a "sound bath."
The Friday (3/13) and Sunday (3/15) events are free and a pass to all Saturday (3/14) events is $15, but you can buy a "New Myths" package for $40 that includes a Saturday ticket, an exclusive Dev Hynes / Connan Mockasin split 12", a tote bag and a journal. Note this is the weekend before SXSW's music portion starts, so for those heading that way you could make a week of it. Marfa, and its storied lights, has its own mystical appeal.
There's more, and the full line-up of events is listed below.
Friday, March 13 - Ballroom Marfa (108 E. San Antonio Street)
· Sam Falls solo exhibition - opening night
· Software Recording Co. presents: GABI, Thug Entrancer, Co La
· Liz Harris' (Grouper) painting will be available for viewing at 201 E. Dallas Street all weekend and beyond
Saturday, March 14
· Sound Bath with Jefre Cantu-Ledesma @ The Well (119 W. Highland Avenue)
· Tape Chants with Gregg Kowalsky @ Building 98 (705 W. Bonnie Street)
· Mexican Summer presents: Iceage, Grouper, Tamaryn, Steve Gunn, Weyes Blood @ The Capri (603 W. San Antonio Street)
· Late night: Bitchin Bajas', Suicideyear, LBS. @ Foodsharkland (1411 W. San Antonio/Hwy 90)
Sunday, March 15
· CineMarfa & Anthology Recordings present a specially selected film program and Holy Cow Swami @ Crowley Theater (98 S. Austin Street)