As mentioned, the soundtrack to Andrew Slater’s documentary Echo in the Canyon, which looks at the birth of the Laurel Canyon music scene with bands like The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, and The Mamas & the Papas, and more, comes out today. We shared Regina Spektor's take on Love's "No Matter What You Do," accompanied by Jakob Dylan, and the rest of the soundtrack includes Jakob joining Cat Power, Josh Homme, Eric Clapton, Beck, Neil Young, Norah Jones, Jade Castrinos, and perhaps most excitingly, Fiona Apple. They team up for two songs: The Byrds' "It Won't Be Wrong," and Beach Boys' "In My Room." The Beach Boys cover in particular is pretty special and has the making of an insta-classic, the spiritual successor to Fiona's Pleasantville soundtrack cover of "Across the Universe." You can listen to it, and the whole soundtrack, below.
We're still waiting on a follow-up to Fiona's excellent 2012 album The Idler Wheel..., but and there have been a few encouraging signs of activity from her recently, including a guest spot on King Princess's cover of her song "I Know," and a couple of videos where she appeared to be recording in her home studio.
Echo In the Canyon Soundtrack Track List
1. “Go Where You Wanna Go” (feat. Jade Castrinos)
2. “The Bells Of Rhymney” (feat. Beck)
3. “You Showed Me” (feat. Cat Power)
4. “She” (feat. Josh Homme)
5. “In My Room” (feat. Fiona Apple)
6. “Goin’ Back” (feat. Beck)
7. “Never My Love” (feat. Norah Jones)
8. “It Won’t Be Wrong” (feat. Fiona Apple)
9. “No Matter What You Do” (feat. Regina Spektor)
10. “Questions” (feat. Jakob Dylan, Stephen Stills)
11. “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” (feat. Neil Young)
12. “Expecting To Fly” (feat. Regina Spektor)
13. “What’s Happening” (feat. Neil Young)