free shows in Stuy Town – Music on the Oval – 2009 schedule
High Places @ Stuy Town Oval 2008 (thepiratehat)
Music on the Oval will feature free family-friendly concerts at 7:00 p.m. New Yorkers and visitors will groove to a different pre-show DJ each night starting at 6:00 p.m...The Stuyvesant Town Oval is located between 16th and 18th Streets and Avenues A & B and the entrance is off First Avenue and 16th Street.
We already mentioned that Jay Reatard is the family-friendly artist playing there on July 1st. Kaki King, The Budos Band and a few others are playing there this summer too. Full schedule below...
Music on the Oval 2009 Schedule
* June 10 - The Budos Band - Based in Staten Island, Daptone recording artists Budos Band has become one of New York's finest exporters of Afro-tinged classic soul, musically beloved (and employed) by local queen Sharon Jones and international superstar Amy Winehouse. Daptone family's DJ Honeydripper will kick the night off.
* June 17 - Phenomenal Handclap Band - The group combines the best attributes of Brooklyn's underground music scene, circa 2009: the chops to emulate an encyclopedic knowledge of rock and pop history, plus the love of disco to make the whole thing boogie-able. DJ Duane Harriott will get the crowed warmed up.
* June 24 - Easy Star All-Stars - New York's hometown reggae heroes, Easy Star All-Stars have gained themselves an incredible worldwide following by locking a rocksteady Jamaican groove to the classic songs of Pink Floyd, Radiohead and the Beatles. Easy Star's solo keyboard phenom Ticklah will start the night off right.
* July 1 - Jay Reatard - Using a never-ending barrage of under-three-minute pop nuggets, Jay Reatard gloriously upholds Memphis, Tennessee's greasy garage-punk tradition; his upcoming Matador Records debut ensures the tradition's fine future. DJs Doug Mosurock and Mr. Vacation also like their rock music fun and funky!
* July 8 - Forro in the Dark - From the international state of the Lower East Side, comes Forro in the Dark, the Big Apple's pre-eminent practitioners of forro, a northeastern Brazilian party music part samba and part country soul, that's been setting Nublu a-dancing since 2002. (David Byrne approved!) DJ Probus will get things started.
* July 15 - Kaki King - Led by guitar heroine Katherine King (whose shredding skills have been utilized by the likes of Foo Fighters and Tegan & Sara), Brooklyn's Kaki King veers between progressive, loud rock and roll jams, and melodically beautiful acoustic excursions. Justin Carter and Raspberry Jones' DJ sets have been known to be equally eclectic.
Kaki King also has a show coming up at Glasslands.