Gary Numan issued a Coachella volcano statement too
"The last thing I expected this morning when I woke up was to hear that volcanic ash might be preventing us from flying to America. At the moment the very best British Airways are offering us, and this without any guarantee, is to put us on a sunday flight that gets in to Los Angeles in the afternoon on sunday. That is one step away from useless and means that, if we are very lucky, we might just make it to the festival site (a three hour plus drive from Los Angeles) in time for our slot but without a single second of rehearsal with Robin Finck, the American based guitar player for the US shows, who has never played with us before, and no real chance of collecting and checking the equipment that we have hired for those shows, which includes all the keyboards, guitars, drums etc etc.
We are still waiting to find out if British Airways can offer any better alternatives. Very upsetting though to see such a huge opportunity slipping through your fingers. I am glued to the TV news at the moment." [Gary Numan]