globalFEST returning in 2014, includes Abigail Washburn’s new trio The Wu-Force & more (lineup & tix)
Abigail Washburn in Central Park in 2012 (more by Chris La Putt)
NYC's annual world music festival globalFEST (not to be confused with Central Park's Global Citizen Festival) returns in 2014 at Webster Hall on January 12. Performers include (descriptions via globalFEST's site):
* Afropolitan rumba rapper Baloji (Congo/Belgium)
* Technicolor Bollywood big-band pop band The Bombay Royale (India/Australia)
* Infectious Jamaican single-string guitarist Brushy One String (Jamaica)
* Soulful A cappella gospel trio Como Mamas (Mississippi)
* Subversive Ukrainian punk-folk band DakhaBrakha (Ukraine)
* Blazing Gypsy brass legends Fanfare Ciocarlia (Romania)
* North African Gnawa trance master Hassan Hakmoun (Morocco/NY)
* Dutch-Antillean global bass dance beats group KiT (Kuenta i Tambu) (Curacao/Netherlands)
* Mauritanian Desert soul singer Noura Mint Seymali (Mauritania)
* Mambo mexicano and indie cumbia group Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta (Arizona)
* Appalachian-Chinese avant-folk group The Wu-Force (feat. Abigail Washburn, Kai Welch, and Wu Fei)
* Post modern Parisian pop via Beirut underground artist Yasmine Hamdan (Beirut/Paris)
Some of these artists will be making their NY debuts at this show, and though The Wu-Force (Abigail Washburn, Kai Welch, and Wu Fei) is one of those artists, it's certainly not the first time in NY for Abigail Washburn, who has played NYC multiple times, once with Kai Welch. For this new trio, Abigail & co. make what they're calling "Kungfu-Appalachian-Indie-Folk-Rock." You can stream some demos for the new band below.
Tickets to globalFEST 2014 go on sale today (11/1) at noon.
Song streams below...
The Wu-Force - "Muckrakers" (demo)
The Wu-Force - "Han Ren" (demo)
The Wu-Force - "Floating" (demo)