HBO’s ‘Vinyl’ soundtrack features Sturgill Simpson, Iggy Pop, David Johansen, Julian Casablancas, The Arcs & more
by Bill Pearis
HBO's ambitious new series Vinyl, created by Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Sopranos producer Terrence Winter, debuts on February 14. With the '70s rock n' roll music biz at the heart of the show, it should be no surprise that it's filled with songs from the era. Randall Poster, who works on all of Wes Anderson's films, is the music supervisor (along with Meghan Currier) for Vinyl and the show has a whopping $1 million music budget per episode.
They will be aggressively pushing the soundtrack, too, as Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series - Volume 1 comes out two days before the show airs (2/12) via Atlantic/Warner Brothers. It's comprised entirely of songs from the first episode, including "Sugar Daddy" by Sturgill Simpson which is the series' theme song. The soundtrack also includes a song by Nasty Bits, the fictitious proto-punk band in the film that's led by Jagger's son, James, with other members played by Brooklyn band Beach Fossils. There are also lots of period songs, by the likes of Otis Redding, Mott the Hoople, Edgar Winter, Foghat, and David Johansen (who is played by Saint Rich's Christian Peslak in the show) rerecorded New York Dolls songs "Personality Crisis" and "Stranded in the Jungle" just for the show. Tracklist is below.
That's not all. The Friday before every new episode, Vinyl will release a digital EP featuring songs from the upcoming episode. And the Friday before the season finale, they'll physically release a second volume of the Vinyl soundtrack. Upcoming episodes will feature original songs/recordings from Charlie Wilson, Iggy Pop, Chris Cornell, Julian Casablancas, Charli Xcx, Nate Ruess, Jess Glynne, Trey Songz, The Arcs, Royal Blood and more.
Watch the latest Vinyl trailer, which focuses on Nasty Bits, below...
Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series - Volume 1 tracklist
1. Ty Taylor - The World Is Yours
2. David Johansen - Personality Crisis
3. Kaleo - No Good
4. Sturgill Simpson - Sugar Daddy (Theme from Vinyl)
5. Ruth Brown - Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean
6. Otis Redding - Mr. Pitiful
7. Dee Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds
8. Mott the Hoople - All The Way From Memphis
9. David Johansen - Stranded In The Jungle
10. Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That
11. Ty Taylor - Cha Cha Twist
12. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun
13. Soda Machine - Want Ads
14. The Meters - Hand Clapping Song
15. Soda Machine - Slippin' Into Darkness
16. Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
17. Nasty Bits - Rotten Apple
18. Foghat - I Just Want To Make Love To You