Jack White, Stephen Colbert & the Black Belles sang & stuff @ The High Line (pics & videos)
photos by Ryan Muir
I think it went something like this:
- Jack White "discovers" the Black Belles, releases a 7" on his Third Man Records label in 2010.
- The White Stripes break up.
- Jack White gets a divorce.
- The Black Belles remain mysterious, but then suddenly show up as the musical guest on the Colbert Report Thursday night. This is of course the same week Colbert is airing three Jack White segments, so it's not that surprising that one of Jack's bands would play the final night.
- The Black Belles, introduced by Jack on the TV show, end up playing with Stephen Colbert as their frontman. (watch below)
- The song they play is the debut and announcement of a new Stephen Colbert and Black Belles single on Third Man Records. Like Conan O'Brien before him, Stephen Colbert is now officially part of the Third Man family.
- Jack and Stephen also announce that they will appear in NYC at The Lot at the High Line the very next day at 11am (aka earlier today, Friday, June 24, 2011). Their plan is to sell the record.
- But first Jack goes bowling.
- On Friday morning and afternoon, they sell that record out of the Third Man Records Rolling Record Store that made its debut at SXSW.
- Not surprisingly, large crowds gather at the High Line to get a record. Those in attendance witness Jack and Stephen sing the National Anthem followed by Stephen and The Black Belles performing their song.
- The event ends with an autograph signing
Video of the The Black Belles playing the song on Colbert, audio of the single (a side and b side), and more pictures and videos from the whole High Line event, below...
Stephen Colbert with The Black Belles - Charlene II (I'm Over You) - on TV
Stephen Colbert & The Black Belles - Charlene II (I'm Over You)
The Black Belles - Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)
pics from the NYC event....