Lou Reed tribute happening during Lincoln Center Out of Doors, co-curated by Laurie Anderson
The annual Lincoln Center Out of Doors festival returns this year, and while the whole schedule won't be announced until May 4, it was just revealed that a Lou Reed tribute curated by his widow Laurie Anderson and longtime producer Hal Willner will be part of the fest:
Lincoln Center Out of Doors, New York City’s longest-running, free, outdoor summer festival, will celebrate the work and legacy of legendary musician and consummate New Yorker Lou Reed with a full day of free events on Saturday, July 30, encompassing a wide range of his interests and creative output. The Bells: A Daylong Celebration of Lou Reed is named for Reed’s iconic song “The Bells.”
Curated by Laurie Anderson and Reed’s friend and longtime producer Hal Willner, the day begins in the morning with group Tai Chi led by Reed’s teacher Master Ren Guangyi that is open to all (beginners welcome) on Josie Robertson Plaza and culminates in Damrosch Park with Lou Reed’s Love Songs, an evening concert featuring performances by a raft of artists across a range of music genres. The concert will be followed by a screening in the park of Julian Schnabel’s acclaimed 2008 film Berlin which captured Reed’s live, 2006 concert performances of the 1976 album of the same name.
In between is a wide array of events, including:
* A sound installation Lou Reed: Drones created from six of Reed’s guitars and amps in a feedback loop to produce an immersive sound environment
* Screenings of films and documentaries at the Film Society of Lincoln Center’s Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center
* A demonstration by Tai Chi Master Ren Guangyi, to include his martial arts students
* Readings from Reed’s collected lyrics by notable actors and artists
* Afternoon musical performances
* All-day marathon playing of Reed’s recordings
Stay tuned for more details.
In related news, Laurie Anderson teams up with performance artist Marina Abramovic for a discussion on May 1 at National Sawdust in Williamsburg. Tickets to attend are on sale now.