Sharon Van Etten covers ’60 classic “The End of the World” for ‘The Man in High Castle’ soundtrack (listen)
Amazon's hit series The Man in the High Castle imagines a 1962 where Allied forces lost World War II, with the Midwest and East Coast under Nazi rule, and the West Coast controlled by Japan. The soundtrack for the show, produced and created by Danger Mouse, features songs from the era covered by today's artists, including Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, Beck, Karen O, Kevin Morby, Norah Jones, Grandaddy (who just played four NYC shows), and Kelis. They're almost exact recreations -- almost -- which works well with the surreal nature of the show. It's called Resistance Radio, a concept record imagining these are songs broadcast by rebel forces from the show's Neutral Zone (vaguely the "Mountain Time" states). You can listen to Sharon Van Etten's gorgeous, heartbreaking version of "The End of the World" (originally a hit for Skeeter Davis) below.
Resistance Radio: The Man in High Castle Album is out April 7 via Danger Mouse's 30th Century Records. Tracklist is below.
There's going to be a special Resistance Radio show at this year's SXSW, happening March 14 at The Belmont with Sam Cohen, Benjamin Booker, Kevin Morby, Kelis, Grandaddy, and Big Search. They'll be playing their songs from the soundtrack as well as their own songs. Flyer is below.
The first two seasons of The Man in the High Castle are streaming now on Amazon Prime.
Resistance Radio: The Man in High Castle Album tracklist.
1. "The End of the World" – Sharon Van Etten
2. "Nature Boy" – Andrew VanWyngarden
3. "Can't Help Falling In Love - Beck
4. "Spoonful" – Benjamin Booker
5. "The House of the Rising Sun" – Sam Cohen
6. "A Taste of Honey" – The Shins
7. "Who's Sorry Now" – Angel Olsen
8. "Speaking of Happiness" - Waterstrider
9. "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" – Michael Kiwanuka
10. "Love Hurts" - Grandaddy
11. "Lonely Mound of Clay" – Big Search
12. "I Only Have Eyes For You" – Kevin Morby
13. "Who's Lovin' You" - Kelis
14. "Unchained Melody" – Norah Jones
15. "Lead Me On" – Curtis Harding
16. "All Alone Am I" - Maybird
17. "Living In A Trance" – Karen O
18. "Get Happy" – Sam Cohen