Tanya Donelly announces covers album w/ Parkington Sisters, shares Go-Go’s cover
Tanya Donelly (of Throwing Muses, The Breeders, and Belly) has been doing a weekly covers series during quarantine, and today she released a cover of The Go-Go's' Beauty and the Beat classic "Automatic," but actually this one isn't part of that series; it's the first single off Tanya Donelly and the Parkington Sisters' upcoming self-titled covers album, due August 14 via American Laundromat Records. "We feel like it represents the album as a whole and it’s very sonically interesting," says Tanya of the Go-Go's cover. "It can be a brave and foolish move to cover a song that you already consider perfect in its original form, and the Go Gos’ ‘Automatic’ is just that." They stay pretty faithful to the original, but the cello arrangements make for a nice twist, and Tanya and her band sound excellent doing it.
The album also includes covers of Leonard Cohen, Kirsty MacColl, Echo & The Bunnymen, Wings, Pretenders, Linda Rondstadt, Split Enz, and Mary Margaret O’Hara. Listen to the Go-Go's cover and see the full tracklist below.
1. Automatic (Go Go’s cover)
2. Dance Me To The End Of Love (Leonard Cohen cover)
3. Days (Kirsty MacColl cover)
4. Ocean Rain (Echo & The Bunnymen cover)
5. Let Me Roll It (Wings cover)
6. Kid (Pretenders cover)
7. Different Drum (Linda Ronstadt cover)
8. Devil You Know (Split Enz cover)
9. You Will Be Loved Again (Mary Margaret O’Hara cover)