the week in Dance w/ Showtrotta (part 1)
DOWNLOAD: Mishka Presents: Ninjasonik - Darth Baño Mixtape (MediaFire MP3)
Last week in dance I only made it out one night, but had an absolute blast! Friday night I headed to Public Assembly around midnight to see Boy 8-Bit. While he didn't go on for an hour or so, his 1-1/2 hour long set was well worth the wait. From about 1:30 until 3, he played a UK-influenced, yet diverse set. He opened with his track "The Suspense Is Killing Me" which he manipulated to be a little more subtle than usual - a great starting point and indication of what was to come.
The rest of the set was a pretty current mix, punctuated with some of his own tracks (including some from the Baltic Pine EP which I strongly recommend - info on the release in last week's post) as well as Boy 8-Bit's own impressive take on some already awesome tracks. From a remix of Fake Blood's "Mars" (a track I thought couldn't get any better) to Bumblebeez's "Rio" (a track I never thought I'd be glad to hear) to what might have been (but I'm not certain) an extremely messed with, instrumental only remix of TTC's "Travailler"...Boy 8-Bit's set at Public Assembly was easily one of the most unpredictable, exciting, dance-able sets of this year.
While I find this week's dance prospects a bit less exciting, there certainly is a lot going on:
On Thursday (8/27):
- Free Blood (and many more) at Glasslands.
- The official Cobra Starship afterparty is happening at Santos.
- DJ Spinna deejays downstairs at Santos.
- Fred P (BlackJazz Consortium) and DJ Qu at Moomia.
- Jams at Le Poisson Rouge with Mattie Safer (whose first post-Rapture creation - a remix for a Birmingham band called Deluka - is up on his myspace), DJ Language (Negroclash), and Thee Mike B.
- Art Battles at Le Poisson Rouge with the Crooked Disco deejays.
- Less with Titonton Duvante at Bar 13.
- DJ Demchuk & DJ Abducted (Modern Love, Chicago) are guest deejaying False Aristocracy's Ether party at Happy Ending.
Moving on to Friday (8/28):
Galaxie, Rong, and Donuts have put together a new weekly outdoor party on the Lower Eastside called Public School. Hang on to the last days of summer at the sand-covered outdoor beach bar while residents Lovefingers and DJ Spun get everyone moving to some disco, along with special guest Schmami (whose Eurolax mix is available for download here if you missed it). Info on this week's party and future guests below:
Upcoming Public School Guests:
Sept 4 : Gavin Russom (DFA)
Sept 11 : Safety Scissors (SF)
Sept 18 : Hunee (from Berlin!) & Speculator
Oct 16 : Dan Selzer & Tropical Jeremy
If you're not in the mood for disco, there's quite a diverse line-up with Klever, D.I.M., Ninjasonik, and Alexander Technique all at Boys & Girls at Webster Hall. They will be celebrating the release of Ninjasonik's "Darth Bano" Mixtape for Mishka which you can download at the top of this post. Tracklisting, party info, and a chance to win a pair of tickets to the event below:
Mishka Presents: Ninjasonik - Darth Baño Mixtape - Tracklisting
1. Darth Baño Intro (Produced By Nine Lives The Cat)
2. It's Ok (Produced By Kicks Like A Mule)
3. Negative Thinking (Featuring The Death Set, Hollywood Holt, Theophilus London & Cadence Weapon, Produced By Schoolboy)
4. Bars (Produced By Teenwolf)
5. Mind Tricks of The Jedi (Produced By The Blanco Brothers)
6. My Eyes (Featuring Spank Rock, Theophilus London, Melo-X & Zakee, Produced By Roofeeo & Teenwolf)
7. My Kids Can't Eat No Fame (Produced By Zakee)
8. Tight Pants Poppin' (Produced By Teenwolf)
9. Sip Some of This (Featuring Hollwood Holt & Johnny Nelson, Produced By Roofeeo & Teenwolf)
10. Hold the Line (Produced By Major Lazer)
11. Nofunforuglygirls Intro (Featuring Just That Dude)
12. Nofunforuglygirls (Featuring Ease Da Man)
13. Pregnant (Morsy Mix)
14. Danger (Produced By Teenwolf)
15. I Love Your Style (Featuring Maggie Horn, Produced By Teenwolf)
The Way She Gave Me Head (Featuring Blaqstarr, Produced By The Blanco Brothers)
16. The Deep End (Produced By Curses)
$1 Drinks & $1 Admission Before 12 with RSVP.
Advanced tickets available here and we have 1 pair of tickets to give away! TO WIN A PAIR OF TICKETS TO SEE NINJASONIK AT WEBSTER HALL ON FRIDAY (8/28) email BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: NINJASONIK). Include your first and last name. 1 winner will be chosen at random and contacted.
More ways to get down are headed your way for this weekend, so be sure to check back for part 2 of the Week In Dance! Also...if you haven't already gotten them, prices for Electric Zoo tickets go up again Thursday at midnight. The festival is next weekend, so if you want to go, get on it!