This Week In METAL (07/29/08)
by Black Bubblegum
DOWNLOAD: Intronaut - "The Literal Black Cloud" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: KEN mode - "The Romanticist" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Discordance Axis - ENTIRE Live Set from CBGB, 6/3/00 (Mediafire Link, setlist/credit)
DOWNLOAD: Noothgrush - Live at KZSU 5/01/96 (Mediafire Link, setlist/credit)
DOWNLOAD: Wolves In The Throne Room - Live at Slim's 10/2/07 (Mediafire Link, setlist/credit)
Gojira's The Way Of All Flesh
Gojira has finally announced news on it's latest punch to the gut, The Way of All Flesh! The much anticipated follow-up to From Mars to Sirius will drop on October 13th on Prosthetic, and look for the band to hit Europe with In Flames in late Sept/Oct (tour dates below). Joe Duplantier played on the Cavalera Conspiracy album, who recently played Irving Plaza with The Dillinger Escape Plan.
As we discussed before, Intronaut are on tour with Behold The Arctopus and Mouth Of The Architect (Deadsea and Wetnurse are also on the colossal NYC bill), packin heat from the forthcoming Prehistoricisms on Sept 16th. Check out "The Literal Black Cloud", available for download above!
KEN mode dropped their new record, Mennonite on their own label, Arctodus Records. Pick it up here. The follow-up to their 2006 release on Escape Artist, Reprisal, KEN mode draws from the glory days of Am-Rep and noise punk, adding a brute force Mastodon-type approach. We have "The Romanticist" from Mennonite available for download above, but be careful, it's mean & nasty.
much, much more below...
The Gates Of Slumber - "Trapped In The Web"
MetalInjection has dropped two tasty morsels in one bite. In a recent chat with Randy Blythe during a Halo Of Locusts (his side project) show, it was revealed that Lamb Of God are heading back into the studio this fall, and because they are, they turned down an opening slot on an upcoming Metallica tour.
The recently reunited Cynic has announced the release of their new album, Traced In Air, on October 27th via Season Of Mist. The reunited Cynic, made up of Focus-era members Paul Masvidal, Sean Reinert, and Sean Malone as well as new member Tymon Kruidenier, recently completed the new album, spanning 8 songs and clocking in at 35 minutes.
Kreator, back in the studio.
Doomers Orange Goblin have announced that they are at work on a new album, which they look to record in spring 2009 for release that summer. In addition, look for Rise Above to reissue the bands earlier work in a "deluxe" format with demos, photos, live recordings, as well as on gatefold vinyl.
Vintage Burning Witch live clip
Protest The Hero has announced a show at Irving Plaza on October 30th opening for Unearth with The Acacia Strain, Whitechapel, and Gwen Stacy. Tickets are currently on presale (password = Panther), and go on sale August 1st. The show is part of a larger US tour, dates are below. Protest The Hero are slated to drop an EP, namely the Sequoia Throne Remix EP, on August 5th via iTunes.
The Dillinger Escape Plan Tour Diary Part 3
Limited number of new releases this week, so I have tacked on a few short reviews of great heavy records that we missed.
TRASH TALK - S/T: Caustic, furious, and in your face hardcore produced by Steve Albini. Hows about doubling it in length next time?
OTESANEK / LOSS / ORTHODOX / MOURNFUL CONGREGATION - FOUR BURIALS: Doom record of the year? I've heard that description and while I don't fully agree, Four Burials is an excellent and diverse (cellos!) doom affair.
PLAYING ENEMY - My Life As The Villain: The final document (PE called it quits in 2006) from the chaotic post-hardcore/noise/mathcore band featuring ex-members of the mighty (and also fallen) Rorschach. Highly recommended.
PYHA - THE HAUNTED HOUSE: Destructive noisy black metal conjured up by a 14-Year Old. Gives new meaning to the term "teen angst".
VALIENT THORR - IMMORTALIZER: It's hard to beat a Valient Thorr live show, and Immortalizer doesn't quite get there, but the ride is definitely fun.
VICTIMS - KILLER: Simple crusty hardcore that f'n rips, much like contemporary big leaguers Disfear or Coliseum.
NEWS BLAST (BEATS):
- Newly renovated Hospital Productions store is now open. Same location, a lot bigger.
- Krisiun is currently streaming four new songs from their upcoming record Southern Storm on their myspace.
- Extreme Noise Terror have posted two new tracks from their forthcoming album Law Of Retaliation (due in October) to their myspace page.
- Crucial Blast have released an extremely limited CDR (300 copies) from Wildildlife's WFMU sessions. Pick it up here.
- As reported a month ago, Napalm Death is currently working on their follow up to Smear Campaign, having written "10-12" new tracks and heading to the studio.
- Shai Hulud has pulled out of their own headlining tour, remarking that they plan to be "back on the road as soon as they can".
- The Rotted has parted ways with bassist Wilson.
- Phil Anselmo is reportedly working on an autobigraphy.
- Amon Amarth have revealed the artwork to Twilight Of The Thunder God. Check it out here.
- Dismember has finally released the vinyl version of their self-titled album from earlier this year.
- Clutch's new CD/DVD, Full Fathom Five, is up for preorder. Click here for the CD and here for the DVD. Click here to play the ecard.
- Amenra has posted a second song ("Aorte Nous Sommes Du Meme Sang") from their awesome Mass IIII to their myspace.
- Heaven & Hell are "six or seven songs" into a new record. Look for some of those songs to (hopefully not) pop up during their appearance at Metal Masters. Tickets are still available.
- Wolfbrigade has cancelled their US tour citing the recent announcement about the closing of Profane Existence and subsequent halting of all production of records going forward. The band is currently looking for a home for their new record Comalive.
- Unearthly Trance has announced a show at Supreme Trading opening for crust-punks After The Bombs on August 9th, along with Atakke and Abaddon
- Soilent Green will play a few shows supporting Hatebreed, who is celebrating the release of their new DVD. Check out the tour dates below, including shows in Poughkeepsie, Long Island, and Hartford.
- Atheist's Kelly Shaefer has offered an update, stating that they have worked on new material, have a live DVD in the works, and are planning US & European shows in line with the 20th anniversary of their debut Piece Of Time.
GOJIRA, IN FLAMES - 2008 TOUR DATES
Aug 14 - Grand' Place (no In Flames, with Metallica)
Sept 27 - Glasgow, Scotland - Barrowlands
Sept 28 - Birmingham, England - Academy
Sept 29 - Manchester, England - Academy
Oct 1 - London, England - Astoria
Oct 3 - Luxembourg, Luxembourg - Dan Atelier
Oct 4 - Cologne, Germany - Palladium
Oct 5 - Wiesbaden, Germany - Schlachthof
Oct 8 - Paris, France - Zenith
Oct 9 - Tilburg, Netherlands - O13
Oct 10 - Nancy, France - L..escale
Oct 11 - Lyon, France - Tranbordeur
Oct 13 - Barcelona, Spain - Razzamatazz 1
Oct 14 - Granada, Spain - La Copera
Oct 15- Madrid, Spain - La Riviera
Oct 16 - Bilbao, Spain - Rock Star Live
Oct 18 - Fribourg, Switzerland - Fri-son
Oct 19 - Munich, Germany - Zenith
Oct 20 - Vienna, Austria - Gassometer
Oct 22 - Zurich, Switzerland - Volkshaus
Oct 24 - Dresden, Germany - Alter Schlachthof
Oct 25 - Berlin, Germany - Columbiahalle
CARCASS - 2008 TOUR DATES
August 2 - Wacken Open Air (Germany), Schleswig Holstein, Wacken
August 16 - Brutal Assault Festival (Czech Republic), Jaromer
August 17 - Sziget Festival Óbudai-sziget, Budapest (Hungary)
August 29 - Hole In The Sky USF Verftet, Bergen
August 30 - Loud From The South Festival Bakel (Holland), Bakel
September 5 - Palladium, Worcester, Massachusetts*
September 6 - Nokia Theatre, New York, NY**
September 7 - Medley, Montreal QC**
September 8 - Opera House, Toronto, ON**
September 9 - Starland Ballroom, Sayreville, NJ**
September 10 - Sonar, Baltimore, Maryland**
September 11 - Volume 11, Raleigh, North Carolina
Sepember 12 - Atlanta, GA, The Masquerade
September 13 - Jannus Landing, Tampa, Florida
September 15 - Emo's, Austin, Texas***
September 18 - Los Angeles, CA @ House Of Blues
September 19 - The Grand Ballroom, San Francisco, California^
September 21 - El Corazon, Seattle, Seattle, Washington
September 22 - Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, British Columbia
September 27 - Witchfest, Mooi River, South Africa
October 9 - Capitol, Perth, Australia
October 10 - HQ Complex, Adelaide, Australia
October 11 - The Arena, Brisbane, Australia
October 12 - The Metro Theatre, Sydney, Australia
October 13 - Billboard, Melbourne, Australia
October 15 - Transmission Room, Auckland, New Zealand
October 18 - Loud Park @ Saitama Super Arena, Tokyo, Japan
October 19 - Diamond Hall, Nagoya, Japan
October 21 - Big Cat Capa, Osaka, Japan
November 1 - Rock Al Parque, Bogata, Columbia
November 2 - Estacionamiento de la Casa del Artista, Caracas, Venezuela
November 5 - Teatro Caupolican, Santiago, Chile
November 8 - El Teatro Flores, Buenos Aires, Argentina
November 15 - Danish Metal Awards, Copenhagen, Denmark
November 22 - Damnation Festival Leeds, UK
* w/ Beneath The Massacre, Veil OF Maya, Suffocation, Necrophagist, 1349, Rotten Sound, Aborted, Dying Fetus
** w/ Suffocation, Necrophagist, 1349, Rotten Sound, Aborted, Dying Fetus
*** w/ Suffocation
^ w/ Suffocation, 1349
HATEBREED, SOILENT GREEN EMMURE, WAR OF AGES, CATELEPSY - 2008 TOUR DATES
September 2 - Detroit, MI @ I-Rock
September 3 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
September 4 - State College, PA @ Lulu's
September 5 - Richmond, VA @ Canal Club
September 7 - Raleigh, NC @ Lincoln Theatre
September 8 - Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
September 9 - Long Island, NY @ The Crazy Donkey
September 10 - South Burlington, VT @ Higher Ground
September 11 - Portland, ME @ The Asylum
September 12 - Hartford, CT @ Webster Theatre
September 13 - Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance
September 14 - Lancaster, PA @ The Chameleon
UNEARTH, PROTEST THE HERO, THE ACACIA STRAIN, WHITECHAPEL, GWEN STACY - 2008 TOUR DATES
10/1 Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
10/2 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of The Living Arts
10/3 Williamsville, NY @ Club Infinity
10/4 Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
10/5 Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
10/7 Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
10/8 Sauget, IL @ Pop's
10/9 Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theatre
10/10 Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
10/11 Salt Lake City, UT @ The Avalon Theater
10/12 Orangevale, CA @ The Boardwalk
10/13 San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
10/14 West Hollywood, CA @ House of Blues
10/15 Tempe, AZ @ The Marquee
10/17 San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit
10/18 Lubbock, TX @ The Foundation
10/19 Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live
10/20 Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
10/22 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
10/23 Saint Petersburg, FL @ The State Theatre
10/24 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution
10/25 Jacksonville, FL @ Freebird Live
10/26 Charleston, SC @ Music Farm
10/28 Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
10/29 Norfolk, VA @ NorVa
10/30 New York, NY @ The Fillmore at Irving Plaza