This Week In METAL (08/28/08)
by Black Bubblegum
DOWNLOAD: Sigh - "Black Metal" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Salome - "Black Tides" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Salome - "White Tides" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Crom - "The Black Ring" (M4A)
DOWNLOAD: Light Yourself On Fire - "Love And Death" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Monarch! - "Mer Morte" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Tweak Bird - "Whorses" (MP3)
War is beautiful...... Torche (more by Jason Bergman)
Torche have teamed up with labelmates (and former tourmates) Clouds, for a string of freshly minted US tour dates with Coliseum and Black Cobra providing support. Torche is also currently gearing up for a European tour with another set of labelmates, Pelican, which concludes on October 11th. The first date on the Torche / Clouds tour is October 24th with Coliseum. CMJ is October 21st - 25th. Will we see Torche, Clouds or Coliseum at CMJ? No word yet (natch), but when we know, so will you. Full tour dates below.
Speaking of Pelican, the boys have issued a rather thorough update in which they detail their loooong awaited split with These Arms Are Snakes (due on Hydrahead, limited quantities), a split 7" with Young Widows (due in 2009), a collaborative split 7" with Suicide Note, and a Fire In Their Throats.... 2LP release in Viva Hate Records. But the band also dropped more interesting news..... including the fact that the band will tour the east coast in the fall, have a video for "Lost in the Headlights" in the works, and are working on their follow up to City Of Echoes. More details to come. Speaking of These Arms Are Snakes, the band recently posted "Red Line Season" to their myspace for streaming.
Coffins have contributed two songs, one new and another a cover of "The Day Man Lost" by swedish death metallers Carnage, to a split 7" with sludgy-grind enthusiasts Skullhog. Pick it up NOW at No Escape, it's limited to 500 copies (200 on red wax). Coffins also have the following releases lined up: the Warhead 7" EP (on Torture Garden); Split 7" EPs with Womb (on Necroharmonic), Lobotomized (on Plague Island), and Spun In Darkness (Battle Kommand); Split 12" LPs with The Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God (the vinyl release on Enucleation, originally on CD via 20 Buck Spin), Anatomia & Grudge (the three-way split vinyl release on Enucleation, originally dropped on Grindmind), and XXX Maniak (the vinyl release on Haunted Hotel, originally released on CD via Creeping Vine); a Singles collection from 2004-2008 (on Living Dead Society); a mini album (on Bones Brigade); a track on the Death Metal Power Compilation Vol.1 (on Final Punishment).
Engineer is currently working on their follow up to The Dregs, and have "close to five songs completed". Look for the band to line up a few new shows in the coming months.
Sigh drops their new record, A Tribute to Venom, on limited edition etched vinyl with CD via The End Records on Sept 2nd. A Tribute To Venom is just that, a set of Venom covers reimagined in way that only Sigh could. Check out the artwork below, download their cover of the Venom classic (and namesake for an entire genre) "Black Metal" above. Want a copy of A Tribute To Venom on vinyl/CD? Email BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Sigh). Include your first and last name. One winner will be picked at random and contacted. Sigh will hit the road in September with Zimmer's Hole & Unexpect, hitting BB Kings in NYC on Sept 16th. Tickets are still available, full tour dates are below.
Salome, Lair Of The Minotaur, Behemoth, Napalm Death, Municipal Waste, and much more below.........
I love this picture of Virginians Salome. On looks alone, you may be able to tell that lead vocalist Kat can wail, but you won't be able to grasp the amount of vile putrudity and sheer unholiness that emenates from those vocal chords. Seriously. Of course, great vocals are only a small sliver of a fraction of what makes a great band, and Salome lay down some sickening doom riffage to rival Kat's pained delivery, making for a hell of a debut. Check out "Black Tides" and "White Tides" both from their recently released self-titled record (MP3s above). Pick it up at Robotic Empire. Kat is also a member of Agoraphobic Nosebleed, who have a new album on the way and a split with the mighty Crom. Download Crom's "The Black Ring" from that split 5" above (and stream ANB's "Home Invasion" at their myspace) and check out Crom when they play Cake Shop on Sept 5th and Rockstar Bar on Sept 13th.
Speaking of killer doom with female lead singers, Monarch! have announced the completion of Mer Morte, their new album and follow-up to the 2CD megablast Dead Men Tell No Tales from 2007. No word on a release date for the album, but check out the track "Mer Morte" available for download above, and look for Monarch! to hit our shores this fall for their first US appearance ever...
Mastodon - "Circle Of The Cysquatch" Live in Brostow, VA. Check out a recent interview with the band here.
Tweak Bird have announced the Reservations EP, a seven track monster produced by the Deaf Nephews (Dale Crover of the Melvins and Toshi Kasai of Big Business) and much like you would think, it sounds alot like it's pedigree. The band has been kind enough to drop a track off for download, "Whorses" which available for download above.
Striborg has announced a split 7" with Scurshahor. Who is Scurshahor, you say? "The actual identity of this project is shrouded in mystery". Anywho..... Striborg composed and recorded the tracks exclusively for this 7", which is said to be "inspired by the events that transpired between Sin-Nanna (Striborg) and sunn 0))) during their collaborative performance together in Australia, May 2007" (aka Pentemple). Limited to 1500 copies (1000 black//500 dirty grey), order it now at Southern Lord.
Final Warning circa 1984
80's hardcore punks Final Warning, who dropped a discography on Southern Lord in 2007 entitled PDX, have announced that they will reunite for a pair of shows in their native Northwest: Sep 6th at the Funhouse in Seattle and Sep 20th at Satyricon in Portland.
Metal Blade, Lifeforce, and Relapse have teamed up for a CMJ showcase on Oct 23rd at the Knitting Factory Tap Bar. The current lineup is the tech-y Psyopus, new Relapse signees Tombs, Left To Vanish, Bison B.C., and This Or The Apocalypse. We'll keep you posted with more CMJ news as it unfolds. Bison B.C. recently signed to Metal Blade and are readying their new album Quiet Earth. "Earthbound" from Quiet Earth is streaming at their myspace.
Only Living Witness performing "Deed's Pride" at a secret show in Clinton MA on 8/22 -
Lair of The Minotaur announced the WAR METAL BATTLE MASTER DVD due on Halloween! The DVD includes the uncensored version of the "War Metal Battle Master" video (the clean version of which is playing on MTV?) as well as a ton of live footage. Check out the trailer for the DVD, and the awesomely NSFW DVD cover here.
Sept 19th marks the next UNSOUND party at Fontana's (flyer below), but dig on the UNSOUND show happening after that, on Halloween. Dreamy droney headliner Nadja, Scots Black Sun, Steve Moore of the mighty Zombi, and Menace Ruine make up that bill.
An Interview with Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal of Cynic at Wacken 2008
Next year's Maryland Deathfest is looking better and better, with recent additions of Mayhem, Pestilence, and General Surgery. Atheist have already confirmed their involvement, as well as a ton of other bands.
Purveyors of the NWOFHM, Circle announced a new record, Triumph, a live recording taken from their September 25th, 2007 appearance at WFMU. Pick it up here when it drops in "late July/Early August" (still not out yet). Jussi Lehtisalo of Circle recently sat down with Pitchfork.
Testament have lined up a few dates with the mighty Soilent Green that will surround their one off date with Children of Bodom @ Hammerstein Ballroom (tickets are still available). Full tour dates below, including one date in Hartford, CT at Webster Theater on 10/10. Testament was recently interviewed by Metal Injection.
Not much in the way of new releases this week (The Fantomas/Melvins DVD, that's really it) unless you are a fan of Dragonforce or Slipknot, in which case, you probably aren't reading this. In lieu of new releases, I'll suggest some other titles that are worth a look.....
The Fantomas Melvins Big Band - Live In London DVD: There is nothing better than seeing Mike Patton, Buzzo, Dale, and Dave Lombardo on the same stage together, except maybe an $8 price tag!!! Out now.
Jesu/Battle Of Mice - Split: It took me a few listens just to get past the unbelievably moving first song by Jesu, "Clear Stream", but when I did, I was treated to another great Jesu track, and two new burners (their last?) from Battle Of Mice. Out now.
Hey Colossus - Happy Birthday: Experimental, lumbering, and ungodly heavy sludgy doom from the UK. Highly recco'd for fans of Noothgrush, Melvins, or Corrupted. Out now.
Across Tundras - Western Sky Ride: Imagine Neurosis crawling through the Arizona desert. Heavy thundering riffs that are as influenced by Scott Kelly as they are Ennio Morricone. Out now.
Light Yourself On Fire - Intimacy: Applying Entombed's patented "Death N' Roll" style through a hardcore & punk lens, this is a fun though ridiculously short "long-player". Check out "Love And Death", downloadable above. Intimacy drops on Sept 16th.
NEWS BLAST (BEATS):
- Gojira is currently streaming "Vacuity" from the upcoming The Way Of All Flesh.
- Season of Mist has set Oct 13th as the release date for Eyehategod side project Outlaw Order.
- Napalm Death announced the title to their new record, Time Waits For No Slave, in a recent interview. Check out video of the band performing "Fatalist" at Bloodstock Open Air on Aug 16, 2008.
- Across Tundra's new record, Lonesome Wails From The Weeping Willow, is streaming here.
- Century Media has signed pedigreed black metallers Dead To This World (ex-Immortal & ex-Gorgoroth) and chainmail wearin' vikings Helheim.
- Children announced a show at Death By Audio supporting TK Webb & The Visions on Sept 19th.
- Zoroaster posted new pics of from their current studio sessions.
- An Albatross is currently streaming "Floodgates Released" from their upcoming record, The An Albatross Family Album.
- Danzig was recently interviewed on his website. Does that mean he interviewed himself? Tickets are still available for his show on 10/15 at Roseland.
- UK Doom legends Witchfinder General will drop their new album, Resurrected, on August 30th via Buried In Time And Dust. The lineup is Phil Cope, Rod Hawkes, and Dermot Redmond with new vocalist Gary Martin.
- Behemoth announced their first live album, At the Arena ov Aion - Live Apostasy, for release this October on Regain Records. More details, including a tracklisting, are available here.
- Blood Ceremony have completed their self-titled debut album, which is due on Sept 30th for Rise Above Records. The band is currently streaming "Return to Forever" and "Children of the Future".
- Vader is celebrating their 25th anniversary on August 30th by playing a show in Warsaw, Poland with Grave, Rotting Christ, Dismember, Gorefest, Marduk, Nile, Entombed and Samael. Vader also, no bullshit, have their own energy drink coming out.
- Suffocation have signed with Nuclear Blast. Look for their new album, Blood Oath, in 2009.
- Withered is filming a documentary at their Drunken Unicorn show in Atlanta on Aug 27th.
- Katatonia is currently working on new material.
- As announced previously, Giant Squid have a new album on the way, which is now complete.
- Nachtmystium has been added to the previously mentioned Nifelheim show. Frown.
- FETO Records have posted a new Burning The Prospect song to their myspace.
- Benediction have posted a previously unreleased track, "Dissembler", to their myspace.
- Members of Demiricous and The Gates of Slumber have formed the ludicrously named Christ Beheaded. The band have posted two tracks from their upcoming five song EP to their myspace.
- Metalinjection.net posted video of The Red Chord from the Mayhem Fest in Bristow, Va. Check it out the vids "Bone Needle" and "Nihilist". Also over at Metal Injection, video from Arsis performing "We Are The Nightmare", and "Sightless Wisdom" in Baltimore. Also at Metalinjection, on the road with Psyopus!
- Municipal Waste will share a few dates with punks The Casualties. Tour dates are below.
- Mikey Heppner (vocals/guitar) of Priestess was interviewed, download the audio here.
- Rob Halford: "I Don't Think A Straight Man Can Do My Job In Judas Priest". Check it out in an interview with the Dallas Morning News.
- Lemmy of Motorhead sat down with Metal Edge for a video interview. Lemmy also granted an audio interview to MTV.
TORCHE - 2008 TOUR DATES
August 31 2008 Backbooth, Orlando, Florida
September 6 2008 Churchills Hideaway, Miami, Florida
September 12 2008 Engine Room, Brighton^
September 13 2008 Corporation, Sheffield^
September 14 2008 Oran Mor, Glasgow^
September 15 2008 The Limelight, Belfast^
September 16 2008 Whelans, Dublin^
September 17 2008 Medicine Bar, Birmingham^
September 18 2008 Underworld, London^
September 19 2008 Croft, Bristol^
September 20 2008 Muziekodroom, Hasselt^
September 21 2008 ZXZW Fest, Tilburg^
September 22 2008 Gleis 22, Munster^
September 23 2008 Hafenklang, Hamburg^
September 24 2008 Loppen, Copenhagen^
September 25 2008 Cassiopeia, Berlin^
September 26 2008 Feierwerk, Munich^
September 27 2008 Nachtleben, Frankfurt^
September 28 2008 Beatpol, Dresden^
September 29 2008 Rock Cafe, Prague^
September 30 2008 A38, Budapest^
October 1 2008 Arena, Vienna^
October 3 2008 Init, Rome^
October 4 2008 Latte+, Brescia^
October 5 2008 Bad Bonn, Dudingen^
October 6 2008 Club Schocken, Stuttgart^
October 7 2008 Glazart, Paris^
October 8 2008 Le Grand Mix, Tourcoing^
October 9 2008 Orange Bleu, Vitri Le Francois^
October 10 2008 MTC, Koln^
October 11 2008 Ancienna Belgique, Brussels^
October 12 2008 Waterfront, Rotterdam^
October 24 2008 Athens,GA Caladonia*
October 25 2008 Memphis TN The Hi-Tone*
October 26 2008 St. Louis, MO The Bluebird*
October 27 2008 Lawrence, KS Jackpot*
October 28 2008 Denver, CO Larimer*
October 29 2008 Salt Lake City, UT Burt's Tiki*
October 30 2008 Boise, ID Neurolux*
October 31 2008 Seattle, WA El Corazon*
November 1 2008 Portland, OR Satricon*
November 3 2008 San Francisco, CA Slim's*
November 14 2008 San Diego, CA The Casbah**
November 15 2008 Los Angeles, CA Spaceland**
November 17 2008 Tucson, AZ The Rock**
November 19 2008 San Antonio,TX Rock Bottom**
November 20 2008 Austin, TX Red Seven**
November 21 2008 Dallas, TX The Lounge on Elm St**
November 22 2008 Houston,TX Walter's on Washington**
November 23 2008 New Orleans, LA Dragon's Den**
November 7 2008 Shin Okubo Earthdom, Tokyo^^
November 8 2008 Juso Fandango, Osaka^^
November 9 2008 Ikeshita club upset, Aichi^^
November 10 2008 Yokohama FAD, Kanagawa^^
November 11 2008 Shibuya O-Nest, Tokyo^^
^ w/ Pelican
^^ w/ Coliseum
* w/ Coliseum, Clouds
** w/ BLack Cobra, Clouds
TESTAMENT, SOILENT GREEN - 2008 TOUR DATES
10/1 Oklahoma City, OK @ Diamond Ballroom
10/3 Pittsburgh, PA @ Rex Theatre
10/4 Syracuse, NY @ Lost Horizon
10/5 State College, PA @ LuLu's Nighspot
10/7 Lancaster, PA @ Chameleon
10/8 Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock
10/9 New York, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom (No Soilent Green)*
10/10 Hartford, CT @ Webster Theater
* w/ Children Of Bodom, The Black Dahlia Murder, Between The Buried & Me
MUNICIPAL WASTE, THE CASUALTIES - 2008 TOUR DATES
10/8 Baltimore, MD @ The Ottobar
10/9 Philadelphia, PA @ JC Dobbs
10/10 Buffalo, NY @ Club Paradise
10/12 Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest
SIGH, ZIMMER'S HOLE, UNEXPECT - 20008 TOUR DATES
Sep. 06 - San Marcos, CA @ Jumping Turtle
Sep. 07 - Anaheim, CA @ Chain Reaction
Sep. 08 - Hollywood, CA @ Knitting Factory
Sep. 09 - Tempe, AZ @ The Clubhouse
Sep. 10 - Albuquerque, NM @ Launch Pad
Sep. 11 - Ft Worth, TX @ Lola's
Sep. 12 - San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit
Sep. 13 - Houston, TX @ Meridian
Sep. 14 - Nashville, TN @ The Muse
Sep. 15 - West Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
Sep. 16 - New York City, NY @ B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
Sep. 17 - Montreal, QUE @ FouFounes
Sep. 18 - Sudbury, ONT @ Jubilee Centre
Sep. 19 - Toronto, ONT @ Wreck Room
Sep. 20 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Sep. 21 - Mokena, IL @ The Pearl Room
Sep. 22 - St Paul, MN @ Station 4