This Week In METAL (05/02/08)
by Black Bubblegum
DOWNLOAD: Opeth - "Lotus Eater" (edit) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Gates Of Slumber - Ice Worm (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Gates Of Slumber - Trapped In The Web (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Leviathan - Made As The Stale Wine Of Wrath (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Lurker Of Chalice - I (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Wold - Frost Crystal Symmetry (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Ascend - Ample Fire Within (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Wolfbrigade - "Prowler" (MP3)
Intronaut Live in Barcelona, 2007 (buckyrocks)
New Century Media signees Intronaut will be back in town in August 8th at the Knitting Factory (on sale NOW), this time bringing Behold... The Arctopus and Mouth Of The Architect! Following up last year's excellent yet grab-baggy The Challenger sort-of-EP, the boys will head back into the studio in April to record a new LP. Mouth Of The Architect have a new album on the way as well, Quietly, and you can preview first single "Hate And Heartache" at the Translation Loss MySpace.
Speaking of Colin Marston, the new record for his black metal project with Mick Barr, Krallice, is in the can and is due in July via Profound Lore. Mick Barr's Ocrilim are on board to play a Todd P show opening for the mighty Thrones at Death By Audio on May 22nd. Thrones, aka Joe Preston of Melvins, High On Fire, and many other esteemed projects was spotted playing guitar with the mighty Harvey Milk at SXSW and WFMU has the whole thing available for download.
New video from Animosity, "Toothgrinder" from Animal
Made Out Of Babies have posted "Cooker" from their recently announced album The Ruiner, out on The End, and surprise surpise, it is a monster. Check out at their myspace. They have also made their Seldon Hunt designed artwork for The Ruiner available, check it out here (NSFW?). The Ruiner is out June 24th.
Nachtmystium's new LP Assassins:Black Meddle Part I has an official street date now, June 10th, but they have already begun the Worldfall with their new EP available now. Pick up Worldfall on iTunes and at CMDistro where they'll hit you with a discount for Assassins when it drops.
Power-doomers Hammers of Misfortune (mems Ludicra, ex-Gwar) have announced a new double album out via Profound Lore! The band hit the studio in March to record "two distinct albums released as a pair with a central concept and theme tying them in together" for release sometime in the fall of this year. Definitely keep a look out for that one.
The mighty 3 Inches Of Blood tearing through "Trail Of Champions", on tour with new Koch-signees Hatebreed & Type O Negative
Japan's Coffins have scheduled a mini East Coast tour, their first US Tour EVER, with The Endless Blockade, including two NYC shows on May 17th: a matinee at ABC No Rio and an evening show at Rockstar Bar with Unearthly Trance. Coffins are streaming tracks from their new album Buried Death (due June 20th) at their MySpace. The Endless Blockade have a new album of their own, Primitive, out May 20th, but available now through 20 Buck Spin Records.
Wrest's much anticipated new album (possibly the last under the Leviathan moniker due to legal woes) Massive Conspiracy Against All Life, is out now on Moribund. Wrest's long sought-after Lurker Of Chalice S/T full-length has (FINALLY) been reissued by Southern Lord, and is available now.
Portal, Live in Melbourne, AUS. Yes, he is wearing a cuckoo clock as a mask. No, I don't know why.
French black metallers Blut Aus Nord have begun work on the "sequel" to 1996's Memoria Vetusta I, entitled Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars. Lacking in "any industrial sounds or disharmonies", two songs are already in the can with another seven to go (track listing for Memoria Vetusta II below). Blut Aus Nord's last release was the critically acclaimed Odinist in October of 2007.
Obituary - "Evil Ways"
Fight Amp in Indianapolis, IN on March 30, 2008
Crusty-metallers Javelina are hitting the road May 7th to promote their badass self-titled LP (out now on Translation Loss), including a show at the Knitting Factory with the mighty Sourvein (ex-BuzzOv-En, mems Hail! Hornet with Dixie Dave of Weedeater). Ticket info is currently unavailable, but when we know, so will you! Sourvein have announced a new EP of their own.
Opeth has released "Lotus Eaters" (download above) from their new LP Watershed out June 3rd on Roadrunner. That makes two new Opeth joints if you include their new video for "Porcelain Heart" (below). Pre-order Watershed here. Me = stoked.
Producer, Pig Destroyer, and Oracle DBA Scott Hull can add one more credit to his already wide-ranging resume: soundtrack composer. Relapse has announced Scott Hull's new album, Requiem (due June 10), as "the first score from [the] veteran sound-designer... influenced by Morricone and Popol Vuh and films such as The Shining, Dead Man, Aguirre and more."
Behemoth - "At The Left Hand Ov God"
- Boris - Smile: Boris have ALWAYS been a band with a bad case of ADD, but it was usually confined to a single album. This is Boris's most varied effort yet and possibly the best snapshot of who they are...... a heavy band without limitations.
- Torche - Meanderthal: I think I have made myself clear on this one. Love it. Not only recco'd for all you metallers out there, but also for any fans of Melvins, Nirvana, Kyuss, or even (gulp) Foo Fighters.
- Nachtmystium - Worldfall EP: A great appetizer for Assassins.... 3 new songs and two covers (Death & Goatsnake). Reccommended.
- Death - Symbolic (Reissue): Speaking of Death.... Roadrunner tacked on an additional five bonus tracks to sweeten the deal, but otherwise this is the same ol' Schuldiner classic that you probably should own anyway.
- Origin - Antithesis: A full on double-bass-tremolo-sweep-picking death metal assault. If your idea of heavy is light and shade, head elsewhere. Antithesis is in the red.
- Lurker Of Chalice - S/T (Reissue): Once rare (only 777 released domestically via Southern Lord), Lurker Of Chalice is a dark and dreary mix of experimental, folk, black metal, and ambient that is as frightening and epic as the reputation that precedes it.
- Javelina - self-titled: Crusty blackened metal punk in the vein of BuzzOv-en, this is one seriously pissed off and seriously crushing record.
- Nortt - Gigenfrist: Black funeral doom from the danish recluse, this a collection of dark angst-ridden ambient-y pieces that are as beautiful as they are eerie. Highly reccommended for fans of Nadja, Sunn O))), Ulver, Xasthur, etc. Available domestically at The Omega Order.
NEWS BLAST (BEATS):
- Toxic Holocaust have been added to ALL dates of the At The Gates/Darkest Hour/Municipal Waste shows!
- Grinders Circle Of Dead Children are working on their 6th album, Psalm of the Grand Destroyer, in their hometown of Pittsburgh. Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, ex-AxCx, Agorophobic Nosebleed) will mix & master the record at his studio (Visceral Sound). Look for it this fall on Willowtip.
- Blackened noise-metallers Wold will release Stratification on Profound Lore on June 24th. Check out "Frost Crystal Symmetry" above.
- Anaal Nathrakh have tacked on a few more dates surrounding their appearance at the Maryland Deathfest. (Dates below)
- Arsis has been added to the Death Angel shows, as Soilent Green has dropped off of a few dates.
- Cable has announced openers Tombs, Wetnurse, and Century for their show at the Ace Of Clubs during their reunion tour. Wetnurse recently signed to Seventh Rule. Century will release Black Ocean next week.
- Wolves In The Throne Room have dropped off of the Boris/Torche tour.
- The Haunted have begun work on their new album with Tue Madsen (responsible for both rEVOLVEr and The Dead Eye) in Denmark. The Bjorler boys are also on tour with their old band At The Gates.
- Tom "Warrior" comments on his departure from Celtic Frost.
- Tech metallers The Number Twelve Looks Like You have announced a new DVD Here At The Ends Of All Things, out June 17th. The DVD is culled from a show in December at The School Of Rock in Hackensack, NJ.
- Lamb of God has signed with Roadrunner.
- Black Market Activities have signed the mighty The Indomitable Iron Sloth (fka The Abominable Iron Sloth while on Goodfellow), who have a new LP built upon the ruins ashes of the previously announced EP.
- Relapse has signed both 16 and Graves Of Valor.
- Metalsucks sat down with Mirai Kawashima of Sigh. Sigh play BB Kings in September.
-The Sword will hit the road this summer with... get this... Down (!) and Metallica (!). All of this, obviously, will be after fulfilling their prior obligations with a certain crew of Florida badasses
- Old school grinders Insect Warfare have called it quits. The previously mentioned Dudefest will be their last show.
- D-beaters Wolfbrigade have announced a new album and plans for a US tour. Details forthcoming.
- Metalkult has posted live footage of Testament from their BB Kings show. Testament is playing the Metal Masters Tour. Also swing by Metalkult for footage from Enslaved's November performance at BB Kings, Saviours show at Luna Lounge last year, as well as Part 3 the Blixa Bargeld interview.
- The Fucking Champs are currently hard at work on VI, while Impaled are working on the followup to last year's sickening The Last Gasp. You can check 'em both out in the studio at EQTV. Impaled also posted an interview at their myspace.
- StonerRock.com sat down for an interview with Jus Osborn of Electric Wizard to discuss Witchcult Today, the latest Moss record Sub Templum (which he produced), and an upcoming EP with Reverend Bizarre.
- NYHC legends Murphy's Law will celebrate their "Skindependence" at the Knitting Factory on July 6th, bringing along John Joseph's Bloodclot as openers. Tickets are on sale. This is a full month before both bands hit the stage with Rancid.
- Teenage Disco Bloodbath have announced a split CD between Tides and Giant, out now. No word on that new Giant record for The End currently in the works.
INTRONAUT, BEHOLD...THE ARCTOPUS, MOUTH OF THE ARCHITECT - 2008 TOUR DATES
August 1 - Columbus, OH @ Ravari Room
August 2 - Indianapolis, IN @ Melody Inn
August 3 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Howler's Coyote Cafe
August 4 - Buffalo, NY @ Xtreme Wheels
August 5 - Endicott, NY @ Downtown Quarterback
August 6 - Cambridge, MA @ Middle East
August 7 - Providence, RI @ Living Room
August 8 - New York, NY @ Knitting Factory
August 9 - Doylestown, PA @ Siren Records
August 10 - Washington, DC @ DC-9
August 11 - Richmond, VA @ Nara Sushi
August 12 - Charlotte, NC @ The Milestone
August 13 - Atlanta, GA @ Drunken Unicorn
August 14 - Orlando, FL @ The Haven
August 15 - Tampa, FL @ Brass Mug
August 16 - Gainesville, FL @ The Atlantic
August 17 - Metarie, LA @ High Ground
August 18 - Memphis, TN @ Hi Tone Cafe
August 19 - Fayetteville, AR @ OPO Downstairs
August 20 - Little Rock, AR @ Downtown Music
August 21 - Dallas, TX @ Red Blood Club
August 22 - Austin, TX @ Red 7
August 23 - Oklahoma City, OK @ The Conservatory
August 25 - Farmington, NM @ Gator's
August 26 - Tempe, AZ @ The Clubhouse
August 27 - Hollywood, CA @ Knitting Factory
August 28 - San Diego, CA @ Chaser's
August 29 - San Francisco, CA @ Annie's Social Club
August 30 - Portland, OR @ Rotture
August 31 - Roseburg, OR @ Riversdale Grange
September 1 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
September 3 - Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
September 4 - Lawrence, KS @ Replay Lounge
September 5 - St Louis, MO @ 2 Cents Plain
September 6 - Des Moines, IA @ Vaudeville Mews
September 7 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
BLUT AUS NORD - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars track listing:
01. Disciple's Libration (Lost In The Nine Worlds)
02. Antithesis Of The Flesh (...And Then Arises A New Essence)
03. The Alcove Of Angels (Vipassana)
04. ...The Meditant (Dialogue With The Stars)
05. Acceptance (Aske)
06. Translucent Body Of Air (Sutta Anapanasati)
07. The Formless Sphere (Beyond The Reason)
08. The Cosmic Echoes Of Non-Matter (Immaterial Voices Of The Fathers)
09. Elevation (The Dawn Of The Gods)
JAVELINA - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 7 - The Smiling Moose, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
May 8 - Now That's Class, Cleveland, Ohio
May 9 - The Blue Note, Muskegon, Michigan
May 10 - Ronny's Bar, Chicago, Illinois
May 11 - Replay Lounge, Lawrence, Kansas -
May 12 - The Conservatory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
May 13 - Downtown Music, Little Rock, Arkansas
May 14 - The Cavern, Dallas, Texas
May 15 - Red 7, Austin, Texas
May 17 - The Drunken Unicorn, Atlanta, Georgia*
May 18 - Hell, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
May 19 - NARA Sushi, Richmond, Virginia
July, 11 - Talking Head, 203 Davis St., Baltimore, Maryland**
July, 12 - Manhattan Room, 15 W. Girard Ave., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania**
July, 13 - The Knitting Factory NY,NY**
* w/ Withered
ANAAL NATHRAKH - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 02 - Feto Obliteration Fest / The Underworld - London, England
May 10 - Barfly - Glasgow, Scotland
May 17 - The Kathedral - Toronto, ON
May 18 - The Gig Theater - Kitchener, ON*
May 20 - Cafe Dekcuf - Ottawa, ON
May 22 - The Plaza Theater - Montreal, QC
May 24 - Maryland Deathfest - Baltimore, MD
May 28 - Knitting Factory - Hollywood, CA
Jun 20 - Hellfest / Pays de la Loire - Clisson, France
* w/ CRYPTOPSY
OBITUARY, UNLEASHED, CARNIFEX - 2008 TOUR DATES
September 16 - Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
September 17 - New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
September 18 - Ft. Worth, TX @ Ridglea Theater
September 19 - Houston, TX @ Scout Bar
September 20 - San Antonio, TX @ Scout Bar
September 22 - Mexicali, MEX @ The Metro
September 24 - West Hollywood, CA @ House of BLues
September 25 - San Francisco, CA @ Slims*
September 26 - Orangevale, CA @ The Boardwalk
September 27 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
September 28 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
September 30 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
October 1 - Kansas City, MO @ Beaumont Club
October 2 - St. Paul, MN @ Station 4
October 3 - Mokena, IL @ PEarl Room
October 4 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
October 5 - New York, NY @ B.B. King Blues Club
October 7 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
October 8 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Rex Theater
October 10 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
October 11 - Baltimore, MD @ RamsHead Live
October 12 - Louisville, KY @ Uncle Pleasants
October 13 - Charlotte, NC @ Amos Southend
October 14 - Charleston, SC @ Music Farm
* w/ POSSESSED
DYING FETUS, ORIGIN, SWORN ENEMY - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 09 - Spartanburg, SC @ Ground Zero
May 10 - Raleigh, NC @ Volume 11
May 11 - Virginia Beach, VA @ Steppin Out
May 12 - Yonkers, NY @ The Haunt
May 13 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
May 14 - Mokena, IL @ The Pearl Room
May 16 - Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
May 17 - Rochester, NY @ Penny Arcade
May 18 - Stroudsburg, PA @ Penn Monster Factory
May 19 - Huntington, WV @ Monkey Bar
May 20 - Nashville, TN @ The Muse
May 21 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
May 22 - Orlando, FL @ The Haven
May 23 - Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum
May 24 - Jacksonville, FL @ Fuel
May 25 - Baltimore, MD @ Maryland Deathfest (DYING FETUS Only)
THRONES - 2008 TOUR DATES
April 28 -Tube, Portland, Oregon
May 1 -Alibi, Arcata, California
May 2 -Hemlock, San Francisco, California
May 3 -Brookdale Lounge, Brookdale, California
May 4 -Gilman St., Berkely, California
May 5 -The Smell, Los Angeles, California
May 6 -Solar Culture, Tucson, Arizona
May 8 -Doublewide, Dallas, Texas
May 9 -Emo's, Austin, Texas
May 10 -Downtown Music, Little Rock, Arkansas
May 12 -Drunken Unicorn, Atlanta, Georgia
May 13 -Caledonia, Athens, Georgia
May 14 -Nightlight, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
May 15 -Ottobar, Baltimore, Maryland
May 16 -Machines With Magnets, Providence, Rhode Island *
May 17 -PA's, Boston, Massachusetts *
May 18 -Bar, New Haven, Connecticut *
May 19 -TBA, Montreal, Quebec *
May 20 -TBA, Toronto, Ontario *
May 21 -Soundlab, Buffalo, New York *
May 22 -TBA, Brooklyn, New York *
May 23 -Johnny Brenda's, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania **
May 24 -Bohemia House, Detroit, Michigan
May 25 -Mac's, Lansing, Michigan
May 26 -Bottom Lounge, Chicago, Illinois
May 27 -Busted Lift, Dubuque, Iowa
May 28 -Turf Club, Minneapolis, Minnesota
May 29 -Vaudeville Mews, Des Moines, Iowa
May 30 -Box Awesome, Lincoln, Nebraska
May 31 -Kings Tavern, Denver, Colorado
June 1 -Todd's, SLC, Utah
June 3 -Bouqet, Boise, Idaho
** w/ Disfear