Times Online picks the decade’s ‘best world music albums’
Tinariwen @ Le Poisson Rouge (more by Tim Griffin)
Tinariwen are touring North America in the first quarter of 2010. Tickets recently went on sale for 2 NYC shows. It's a long journey for the band from Northern Mali (assuming they still live there), and it's a chance for us to again see the artists who made the "best world music album" of the decade (according to the Times Online)...
"The Tuaregs' debut, recorded in a Saharan radio station, is the sound of the sands, stones and emptiness, filtered through a woozy wall of guitars. Today they are genuine rock stars, but this, in all its ragged glory, is the one."
Their whole list is below...
Times Online's The ten best world music albums of the Noughties
10. Made In Medina by Rachid Taha
9. Nothing's In Vain by Youssou N'Dour
8. Très Très Fort by Staff Benda Bilili
7. Specialist In All Styles by Orchestra Baobab
6. Fado Curvo by Mariza
5. Moffou by Salif Keita
4. Buena Vista Social Club Presents Cachaito
3. The Living Road by Lhasa
2. Dimanche A Bamako by Amadou & Mariam
1. The Radio Tisdas Sessions by Tinariwen