Tom Waits covers ‘Bella Ciao’ on new guest-filled anti-Trump Marc Ribot LP
Guitarist extraordinaire Marc Ribot's new album is Songs Of Resistance 1942 - 2018, where he reinterprets classic protest songs from around the world with help from a lot of very cool friends -- including longtime collaborator Tom Waits, who sings the Italian folk song and anti-fascist anthem "Bella Ciao," plus Steve Earle, Meshell Ndegeocello, Justin Vivian Bond, Tift Merritt, Fay Victor, Ohene Cornelius and Sam Amidon. "I am alarmed by Trump and the movement he’s part of," he says. "I’ve spent a good chunk of my life running around the world on tour—I’m kind of an accidental internationalist—and I see that he’s not an isolated phenomenon. And if we don’t deal with what is going on, it is going to deal with us." The eleven songs on the record also include a few original compositions. It's out September 14 and you can listen to "Srinivas," featuring Steve Earle and Tift Merritt, and "The Militant Ecologist," featuring Meshell Ndegocello, below.
Marc will celebrate the release of Songs of Resistance with a special show at Le Poisson Rouge on October 8 featuring Justin Vivian Bond, Ohene Cornelius, Domenica Fossati, and Fay Victor. Tickets will be on sale soon.
Marc also plays the Red Hook Jazz Festival on September 16, and the National Jazz Museum in Harlem on September 25 where he'll also talk about Songs of Resistance. Before those shows, Marc will be at Nashville's Americana Music Festival on September 14.
Marc Ribot - Songs Of Resistance 1942 - 2018 tracklist
1. We Are Soldiers in the Army (feat. Fay Victor)
2. Bella Ciao (Goodbye Beautiful) (feat. Tom Waits)
3. Srinivas (feat. Steve Earle & Tift Merritt)
4. How To Walk In Freedom (feat. Sam Amidon & Fay Victor)
5. Rata de dos Patas (feat. Ohene Cornelius)
6. The Militant Ecologist (based on Fischia Il Vento) (feat. Meshell Ndegeocello)
7. The Big Fool (feat. Marc Ribot)
8. Ain't Gonna Let Them Turn Us Round (feat. Steve Earle & Tift Merritt)
9. John Brown (feat. Fay Victor)
10. Knock That Statue Down (feat. Marc Ribot & Syd Straw)
11. We'll Never Turn Back (feat. Justin Vivian & Domenica Fossati)