What’s going on Tuesday?
Lee Fields at MHoW in March (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
Today in NYC
* SWEET July @ Ella
* Robbie Fulks @ Barbes
* Naked Dance! @ The Stone
* Simon Amstell @ Theatre 80
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Gold Sparkle Band @ The Stone
* DOSVEC, Krunk Pony @ Knitting Factory
* Cherub, Manicanparty @ Highline Ballroom
* Carla Morrison, La Santa Cecilia @ Littlefield
* Caramelo, Dientes de Caramelo @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Neon Trees, Penguin Prison, Jjamz @ Webster Hall
* Marco Benevento @ City Winery outside (free)
* Chubb Rock, Kurtis Blow, DJ Bent Roc @ Crotona Park
* MV & EE featuring Mick Flower, Spectre Folk, Images @ Death By Audio
* Lee Fields & the Expressions, Janka Nabay @ Fort Greene Park
* Emanuel & The Fear, Sprinkles, Shenandoah and the Night @ Cameo
* Dirty Projectors, Wye Oak, Purity Ring @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Diamond Terrifier, Excepter, Hagfish & Poet Lounge, Hubble @ Zebulon
* Cult War, Through Thorn and Brier, Wolfmouth, Desensitized @ Saint Vitus
* Don Gator & The Kings of Spyrock, Makeup Monsters, Love Life, Blue Bird @ Pianos
* Cosmetics, Plastic Flowers, Psychobuildings, Heavenly Beat (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Swimming, Spook Houses, The N'ere Dowells, The Chimneys @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
The Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival continues, with daily events ranging from shows to seminars to a film festival. No shows tonight, but there is a symposium and a screening of the great Wild Style. Head to the site for more details.
Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing series continues through July 14.
The Spy Music Festival is still ongoing.
Follow @BrooklynVegan on Twitter.
Follow @bvChicago for just Chicago stuff.
Also follow @bvAustin for just Austin stuff.
Be our friend on Facebook too, and BV Austin's friend on Facebook and BV Chicago's friend on Facebook.
Follow Brooklynvegan on Instagram.
We're throwing a photo show at 92YTribeca in August.
Dirty Projectors headline Celebrate Brooklyn at the Prospect Park Bandshell tonight (with Wye Oak and Purity Ring). Last night it was a show at Music Hall of Williamsburg which you can now watch in full.
Fela! is back on Broadway.
Tom Waits talked to and played Letterman last night, performing "Chicago" from 2011's Bad As Me. Check out video of that appearance below. Look for Waits to do it again tonight on Fallon.
Frank Ocean, whose new album is streaming on Tumblr, made his television debut on Fallon last night. Video below.
Happy birthday goes out to the late great Ronnie James Dio (you are missed), Arlo Guthrie (who is honoring his father's legacy on the road), Sandy West of The Runaways, and possibly the most important of them all, Jessica Simpson (not really).
Holograms have proudly released their debut LP via Captured Tracks and are streaming it in full. Check it out below. Fans of The Cure, Iceage, and gothic-tinged punk rock everywhere, rejoice and look for them in September.
Tom Waits on Letterman
Frank Ocean: Bad Religion