What’s going on Sunday?
Vampire Weekend at an ACL taping in March (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* J Rome @ Joe's Pub
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Olivier Manchon @ Barbes
* Stephane Wrembel @ Barbes
* Tower of Power @ BB King's
* Cheap Trick @ John Varvatos
* Jonathan Toubin @ Glasslands
* Kendra Morris @ The Ace Hotel
* Les Claypool @ Gramercy Theatre
* Lee Ranaldo Band, VBA @ Union Pool
* Vampire Weekend @ Roseland Ballroom
* The Rascals @ Richard Rodgers Theatre
* Rihanna, A$AP Rocky @ Prudential Center
* Steve Coleman and Five Elements @ The Stone
* JDH & Dave P (FIXED), Turbotax @ Secret Location
* Paul Oakley Stovall and Brad Simmons @ Joe's Pub
* How To Destroy Angels, DIIV @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Lovely Little Girls, Infantphant, BBIGPIGG @ Cake Shop
* BFA, Toddlers, Leverage Models, Nightdogs @ Mercury Lounge
* Pile, Fat History Month, Porches, Bennio Qwerty @ Death By Audio
* Ruwa, Hans Tammen, Matt O'Hare, Your Friends and Neighbors @ Cameo Gallery
* Dot Wiggin Band, Aye Aye Rabbit, Last Car, Supercute! @ The Bowery Electric
* Turn To Crime, Lone Wolf and Cub, Firecracker Firecracker, Polygamyst @ Secret Project Robot
* Sweat Lodge, Byron Westbrook, Che Chen of True Primes, Matteah Baim, Meg Rorison @ Silent Barn
If you don't have tickets to tonight's Vampire Weekend show, you can still watch the live broadcast, which is being directed by Steve Buscemi and starts at 9 PM. You can also see that broadcast on the big screens at Brooklyn Bowl.
As a commenter just pointed out, Iggy and the Stooges will be playing Le Poisson Rouge today at 5 PM for a Soundcheck/NPR-presented performance of their new album, Ready to Die, plus classic favorites. RSVP is full, but you can watch the show streaming live on NPR. NPR is also still hosting the stream of Ready to Die.
A$AP Rocky opens for Rihanna at Prudential Center tonight, but does not play Highline Ballroom afterwards. The Rihanna tour hits Brooklyn on May 4 and 5 at Barclays, and Rocky goes on another tour which hits the NYC-area for a few shows in August with Wiz Khalifa, Joey Bada$$, Smoke DZA, and others.
If you're going to Death by Audio tonight for the Pile, Fat History Month, and Porches show, it's worth getting there early for local openers Bennio Qwerty. You can stream their recently released EP below and download it (name your price) at bandcamp.
Bennio Qwerty also return to Death by Audio on May 4 to open the previously discussed Bass Drum of Death and The Beets show. And though we didn't make the connection at the time, Austin's A Giant Dog (mems. OBN IIIs) are on that show too.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Norwegian riffers Kvelertak made a video for the song "Kvelertak" off their pulverizing new album, Meir. Check it out below and catch the band in NYC on their tour with Cancer Bats and Black Tusk this May.
Kvelertak - "Kvelertak" Official Video
Bennio Qwerty - EP