What’s going on Thursday? (RIP Rev. Ike)
Grace Jones @ Sonar Fest (more by Zach Dilgard)
tonight in NYC
* Louis CK @ Caroline's
* Arlo Guthrie @ Castle Clinton
* BBC w/ Nels Cline @ The Stone
* Ismael Miranda @ East River Park
* Tim & Eric @ Santos Party House
* Grace Jones @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Chrisette Michele @ Springfield Park
* Ghost Gamblers, Phonograph @ Union Pool
* Destroyer (solo), Iran @ Bowery Ballroom
* Glenn Patscha, Elysian Fields @ City Winery
* Method Man, Redman, Ghostface @ Nokia Theatre
* Rooftop Films w/ The Drums @ Automotive High School
* Suckers, Sean Bones, Acrylics, Class Actress @ Pianos
* Jarvis Cocker, Little Joy @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Ethan Iverson, Reid Anderson & Paul Motian @ Village Vanguard
* The Builders and the Butchers, Illinois, Arms @ The Bell House
* Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons, Connie Francis @ Seaside Park
* Burning Spear, Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens @ Prospect Park
* Chinese Stars, Tinsel Teeth, Birthing Of Millions @ Death By Audio
* The Sundelles, The Horse's Ha, Hospitality, Mr. Dream @ Bruar Falls
* Erika Wennerstrom, Butterfly Boucher @ Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
* Rx Bandits, Dredg, As Tall As Lions, Zechs Marquise @ Irving Plaza
* The Veils, Foreign Born, Faces on Film, The Jaguar Club @ Mercury Lounge
* Diesel U:Music w/ The Roots, Lykke Li, Clipse, Passion Pit, more @ Webster Hall
Free outdoor music tonight includes Arlo Guthrie at one of Castle Clinton's Four Nights of Peace: Woodstock Tribute shows, Burning Spear and Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens at the Prospect Park Bandshell, Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons and Connie Francis at Seaside Park, Chrisette Michele at Springfield Park in Queens, and Ismael Miranda at East River Park.
Grace Jones, who just played on the West Coast with Of Montreal, is at Hammerstein Ballroom tonight. She goes on at 9 after an opening DJ set by House of House.
Wilco's Nels Cline plays with BBC (Tim Berne on saxophone and Jim Black on drums) at The Stone. Nels is at Summerstage on Saturday.
Diesel U:Music hosts a gig at Webster Hall with The Roots, Passion Pit and many more. Special guests may include Lykke Li (also at APW this weekend) and Clipse.
Erika Wennerstrom of Heartless Bastards plays a show at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe with Butterfly Boucher. Look for her with band tomorrow at All Points West.
Speaking of which - Method Man, Redman and Ghostface play a pre-APW kick-off show tonight at Nokia Theatre.
Rooftop Films screens legendary bad movie Troll 2 with a set by The Drums (who played Bowery Ballroom last night) at Automotive High School. Kurt Vile plays Rooftop's showing of the behind-the-film doc tomorrow.
Jarvis Cocker and Little Joy play Music Hall of Williamsburg (not Terminal 5).
It's your last chance to see the Suckers at their Pianos residency, tonight, with Sean Bones, Acrylics and Class Actress. (The Grates finished theirs last night.)
UK band The Veils play the Mecury Lounge with Foreign Born, Faces on Film and The Jaguar Club. They also have a show coming up at the Bell House.
Bruar Falls hosts The Sundelles, The Horse's Ha, Hospitality and Mr. Dream.
Destroyer aka Dan Bejar plays a solo gig tonight with Iran at Bowery Ballroom. The show is just one of Iran's Destroyer-supporting shows. They'll play with Fruit Bats in September on that band's tour (which stop at the MHOW). Bejar will be back for a Wordless Music show in September.
R.I.P. Rev. Ike
The Rev. Frederick J. Eikerenkoetter II, the flamboyant minister better known as the Reverend Ike, who preached the blessings of material prosperity to a large congregation in New York and to television and radio audiences nationwide, died Tuesday in Los Angeles, where he had lived since 2007. He was 74...."Close your eyes and see green," Reverend Ike would tell his 5,000 parishioners from a red-carpeted stage at the former Loew's film palace on 175th Street in Washington Heights, the headquarters of his United Church Science of Living Institute. "Money up to your armpits, a roomful of money and there you are, just tossing around in it like a swimming pool." [NY Times]
Some know that former Loew's as United Palace.
All Points West starts tomorrow.
Video of Fanfarlo played "Comets" acoustic, below...
The new video for YACHT's "Psychic City" is below. The band just played Santos and a boat.
YACHT - Psychic City (Voodoo City)